Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband unfilled, problems are resurfacing

I had lapband surgery back in March 2012...the first 18 months I did really well with very little issues. Then they put my band at 5cc, and everything went down hill from there. I had to have Fluid removed because I couldn't hold anything down, and even when fluid was taken out, within a few weeks the same problem came back.

Long story short - August 2014, I had to wait over a month to get an appointment, so I went over a month throwing up daily solids, liquids, mushy foods. Nothing stayed down period. So when I finally got in, I asked them to just take the fluid out completely. They got most of it, or so I was told, and my per visit price "doubled" to almost $200. I was fine for about 2 months after, and then I started occassionally having episodes where something wouldn't stay down. Mind you, I gained 10lbs before the fluid came out when I couldn't hold anything down, and then gained 20lbs within 2 weeks after the fluid was removed. So I gained back everything I had lost prior to the whole 5cc fiasco.

They called me in October telling me I was overdue for my yearly check up from August, but I don't have $200 for a 10 minute appointment. Now in the last 2 weeks, I am throwing up most things (including liquid) almost daily. Some days it's all day I can't hold anything down, and some days it's hit and miss.

Has anyone else had this problem? I shouldn't being repeating last year with an unfilled band. Ironically, the doctor that did my procedure doesn't even offer lapband surgery at his location.

Revision surgery is $15,650 for self-pay, and I just don't have any way to come up with it. So it's pretty depressing. I'm trying to get the weight off I gained back unnaturally quick, and it's not budging much, maybe 5lbs.

But has anyone else had similiar problems with their band?

Find the money, even if you have to borrow it, and go in and get your band looked at under xray with barium. What you are experiencing is not at all normal, and the symptoms are consistant with a band slip.

Do not let this persist, or you will have greater issues than just money. Your health and stomach are at risk here.

Please do this now, and let us know how you are doing.

I'm going through this right now. I was having trouble keeping anything solid down and then it went to liquids. Saw my GP and on the recommendation of my surgeon, went for a barium swallow.

Monday was the test and it was aborted after the first swallow as my band was at a near complete obstruction.

Tuesday I saw my local-ish doctor that does the adjustments for me (set up by my surgeon) and we had to do a complete unfill.

I am just waiting for he hospital to call with my appt for a CT scan to check the position of the band and see if a slip has occurred.

If no slip, we wait two weeks and slowly start filling again. If not, I will be off to see my surgeon.

Since I the Fluid has been out, I have stuck with liquids and soft mushy foods. Not one thing has come back up much to my relief. But I do still feel some pressure in my chest and discomfort. So we will see.

Good luck with your situation and you must get in to see a doctor. If you can't keep liquids down, you will become dehydrated and you don't want to wind up on IV fluids.