Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Days Post Op...I'm so frustrated.! Had to vent!

I am 6 days post op, and although everyday gets a bit better for me. I am still struggling with getting the Water intake. I average about 28 to 30 0z and that includes water, broth and teas. I have tried to eat scrambled eggs, high Protein Greek yogurt, tuna and chicken. All according to my program I can eat and have not been able to eat more than two baby size spoons before my stomach cramps. So I've only really been drinking for the last 6 days. It has been very frustrating, oh to make matters worst tomorrow I go back to work. Anyone else still struggling this much 6 days post op.

Just my experience here, i am 2 weeks post op. just had my 2 week checkup yesterday. i am on liquids only, and i have 2 more weeks of liquids before i move to soft foods. I'm doing broths, Protein Soups, Protein Shakes, etc. Also, you have to get more fluids in, have to or you will be in the ER soon.

I'm 9 days post op, still on liquids only till next week. Working on Water and Protein is my main focus right now. Don't want to get dehydrated! Give yourself time to heal and then we'll figure out the food stuffs. ????

Thanks Ryan, I don't want to end up back in the hospital so I am making an effort to drink all day long. It's just after a very small amount of sips, I get cramps a heaviness in my chest and I have to wait another half hour before I can sip again. But I will keep trying.

Are you taking a PPI? I was on Carafate and Prevacid for one month post op. These may help you.

If you healing stomach does not like your meal plan, do not progress. Give your stomach some more time to heal. You can stay on the liquids longer. It seems very early to be eating eggs, tuna and chicken. My plan called for creamed Soups, thinned cream of wheat and thinned mashed potatoes along with Water, broth, Protein drinks at the beginning.

You can also try different temperatures and different kinds of water.....tap Water, spring water, purified drinking water. Sounds silly but the sleeve is picky sometimes. There are still some brands of water that are difficult for me to drink. At the beginning I couldn't tolerate plain water. I mixed Apple juice with water 50/50. Yes, it had sugar and carbs but it kept dehydration away. Also, sugar free ice pops were my friend. Some people loved the crushed ice from Sonic.

Each day it will get a little better, you will drink more. If you have any doubt or questions call your surgeons office.

Wow! Your plan moves you along quite quickly. I was on liquids week 1, purees week 2, soft foods for 3 more weeks and released to a full diet at week 6. chicken and tuna fell into week three if it was put through the food processor or mashed to oblivion with a fork.

I was told to concentrate on getting in my water/protein drinks for the first three weeks mostly and that Water was more important of the two.

Your tummy might not be ready for real foods yet. Slow and easy. :)

If you cramp quickly after eating or drinking you may be eating/drinking too fast. Go super slow, take teeny baby sized bites and pause in between sips/bites. If you need to stop and count to 20 between sips/bites.

I agree with what the others have said, slow it down. It sounds very early to be doing some of the things you are doing!

You are all right. It does seem to be fast to be trying all those Today I am sticking to flavored crystal light Water, hot teas, and broth. To see if the cramps get better. Thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

post-264489-14472538070205_thumb.jpg

You are all right. It does seem to be fast to be trying all those Today I am sticking to flavored crystal light Water, hot teas, and broth. To see if the cramps get better. Thank you all for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Try some premier Protein, or other Protein shakes, too. You really need some Protein with your fluids. Try Bone Broth (it has a higher protein content than other broths according to my NUT).

Best of luck and just keep sipping slowly.

It does get better.

I don't mean fast as in progressing through the food stages fast. I think doctors are reintroducing regular foods sooner these days. I mean fast as in eating/drinking too fast. SLOW IT DOWN. Additionally when trying new foods, add in one at a time. This way if you have a reaction, you can more readily pinpoint what makes you ill.

Being on a liquid diet for 2 weeks post op, I too struggled with getting in the required 96oz of clear fluids for the first several days due to the discomfort. I went back to work 7 days out (which was way too soon for me) and I would have likely had to go to the clinic to be put on IV fluids except I work where I can snag some IVFs and setup which I took home and bolused myself a liter on that day 7. I felt SO much better the next day. Also, 11 days out, I am maxing out at 80 oz of clear fluids a day, but I know I am staying hydrated on that based on how much I am peeing.

Hope you've done well and haven't gotten seriously dehydrated

Edited by LupineNight