Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible band slip. Kinda freaking out.

I went for an upper GI barium swallow this am as I have been having trouble with my band the past month and having almost everything come back up and feeling unusually tight. The upper GI was aborted after the first swallow as there appeared to be near complete obstruction and on the report the radiologist recommended urgent referral to a barbaric surgeon.

I live two airplane rides away from my original surgeon, so he had set me up with a general surgeon who worked under him to do my adjustments. I see him first thing tomorrow morning to have Fluid taken out. How much, I don't know yet (already freaking out about that and the possible weight gain and how long until I can get the fluid back in). I am also waiting on an emergency CT scan to check for band placement, position and possible slippage. My general doctor is putting this in place, so I am just waiting on that.

For those who have had this happen before..... How much fluid comes out? Does it resolve on its own? How long until fluid can go back in? I need some reassuring answers please.

I have been banded since 2008. Always been on the tighter side of restriction. Had some fluid taken out last fall and things were good. But a month ago, it got so tight that I can barely get liquids down some moments. But then in that same day, I can manage some food. Not without a lot of it coming back up though. Which leads my original surgeons office to believe there is a slip.

You're getting ahead of yourself.

The band absolutely has to be loosened. Being unable to tolerate even small amounts of liquid is bad. The alternate is being hooked up with IV. I have no idea what will happen once the band is loose for a while. That's why I say you're getting ahead of yourself. Speculating and worrying about events that are still in the future will only make you more and more miserable. It's not always easy, but try not to think about it at all. Just take each step with the doctor and see what happens with each.

How much Fluid comes out depends on how little remaining will be best. Expect quite a bit. Put effort into eating as you should to avoid or minimize weight gain. Above all is dealing with whatever is going on with the band.. Your weight is secondary right now.

Last week during a routine checkup I was told my band had slipped. The surgeon encourages removal as the angle at which my band now sits can cause a complete obstruction.

Your surgeon can tell you how long an unfill might last. I've read that they can resolve the slipped band issue, but sometimes they do not.

When I had my band unfilled a year or so ago, I just stayed on a Weight-Watchers-type diet plan and was able to maintain my loss. The point is to not go crazy due to the unfill, but do be prepared to have a plan in place because you will feel hungry.

I had my unfill on Tuesday and my CT today. I should know results Monday and can get on track with whatever needs to be done.

It sucks being hungry. And the bloated, distended stomach hurts and the gas pain..... What gives?