Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help! I am three and a half months out and 65 years old and in deep trouble I need your help

This is my problem I never could drink the Protein Drinks and became very dehydrated right from the start, the clinic I went wasn't a lot of help for it was a new one and really didn't know what they were doing! I had to surf the web just to keep my head above Water and survive. My problem now is I have lost so much muscle mass I can hardly walk around I look like a skeleton, just taken a shower is such a chore! it takes all my strength, I can't get all the Protein need from food can anyone help me!!

I'm sorry to hear that your having problems. But I would contact the doctor especially if your dehydrated. Just let them know how you feel and everything that's going on with you. Good luck!

Have you talked to your surgeon/nut/general MD about these health concerns? That should be your first priority. They can address your health concerns much better as this sounds like it has become a medical issue... as opposed to a general weight loss issue.

If you dont value the opinion of the professionals at the clinic that you chose you can always see your general MD.

If the NUT at your clinic can't help you, head straight to your primary MD. Ask him to do some bloodworkto make sure you aren't anemic. Ask them to refer you to a Registered Dietician. There are plenty of ways to get the nutrients you need even without Protein drinks.

What are you eating? How much are you able to handle at one time? What foods do you tolerate best?

We can't take the place of a doctor visit, but there are lots of helpful folks here.

I agree. Make an appointment with your PCP, now.

In the meantime, here are some questions. The answers may help us help you.

You say you "can't" drink Protein shakes, but don't mention what you are able to do. What are you doing to meet your Protein needs? At three and a half months out you should be cleared for almost all foods.

Are you tracking your food?

Were you at least given a protein target? If so, what is it? If not, how much protein are you getting every day?

Were you given a Vitamin and supplement schedule? Are you taking your Vitamins every day?

Have you had your blood work tested lately? How are your Vitamin levels?

Are you drinking at least 64 oz of fluid/water a day?

Are you exercising?

When was the last time you saw your surgeon? PCP?

I agree that you need a thorough check-up with your doctor as well as a referral to a dietician, especially one who works with bariatric patients.

Seeking help is the first step.

I am so sorry your surgeon's office couldn't provide you the support you need. I assume they are not a Bariatric Center of Excellence.

never could drink Protein, dehydrated can't get all the Protein from food

@@grammaof9

welcome

try drinking a pre-mixed Protein shake in a bottle

no smell that might bother you from a powdered mix

ie try GNC Lean shake 25 gr protein

my favorite - many many others to choose from

you must drink!

i think the premixed shake might be something to look into

couple bottles a day, added to regular food with protein for now

doing the above hopefully will help your protein issues

also will start to get liquids in you

i don't want to see you continue getting weaker, dehydrated etc

sorry the stupid clinic never was much help :(

i agree you should try to see your primary doc

as OP said you should have labs, blood work etc

you might not know to take Vitamins

you are 3.5 month PO - never too late to "start"

again, getting advice and help here is great

you'll get good advice here, suggestions, experiences

but we do not replace a dr

you need medical help - they are the ones you must listen to

if you use a clinic like a doctor

then try and find someone else there that can help you

like OP said, you probably need labs, blood work etc

help from a real doc

see a doc!! yesterday!! ;)

take care

good luck

kathy

I completely agree that you should see your primary doctor as soon as possible for some blood labs. That will let you know where you are deficient so the the doctor knows how to proceed. I am sorry to hear that you are not getting good follow-up care. I had follow-up visits at two weeks, one month, two months, three months, six months, one year, eighteen months, and my two-year visit is coming up in December.

Hopefully your regular doctor can intervene for you and point you in the right direction. We see a vegan or vegetarian on the forum from time to time, and they have to be very clever about getting in their Protein. Until you get in for your appointment, you could investigate how vegans and vegetarians get their Protein. I found the fruity clear Protein drinks (like Syntrax Nectars) easier to handle than the milky ones.

Good luck. We don't want you to end up in the E R all dehydrated.

Thanks for every bodies response and I have seen my surgeon and my Doctor about my problem. I can not drink the Protein shakes, leaving me with trying to try to get enough Protein through my intake of food which is difficult. I have had four total knee replacements and they have not worked and left me with massive scar tissue damage which in turn cause 24 hour pain. I also have a bad heart and this is why I had the sleeve to get all the weight off me and get healthy but if you can't walk it's hard! I thought losing 50 pounds would help my knees but NO lol that didn't happen, but I;m more concerned about the muscle mass lose from not have the protein I just can't drink it !!!!!!!

Is there a medical reason why you can't drink shakes? Have you tried adding unflavored Protein Powder to you food. What foods are you eating? Can you at last do Water therapy or water aerobics for your knees? Google chair exercises or exercise for limited mobility. There are plenty on youtube and even dvds you can buy.

I am so very sorry to hear you are having issues I have found an amazing product that I couldn't have done without called Zeal. It has Protein and also a wellness drink that I take a couple times a day that gives me all the Vitamins and nutrients and is all natural and tastes great. Check it out at ginamaria.zealforlife.com. I can send you samples if you want to try it. I tried so many and it was a blessing to have found this one

try Protein Bars instead that are soy based- i can't have Protein Shakes or milk based (WHEY) bars - but i'm doing ok - you wouldn't lose that much muscle in such a short time - it's more likely caused by anemia or thyroid issues or an electrolyte imbalance especially if you are not drinking enough- so as others have suggested go see someone and get blood works done. Also beef Jerky, eggs and meat and Beans etc all good sources of Protein you don't really need shakes at 3 months out - they help sure but not 100% needed.

Thank you MS Twist you are the first one who gets me! I have had blood work done by my general doctor and he helps me more than the surgeon and the clinic. I just wish every day wasn't a struggle to survive I didn't think it was going to be like this at my age.