Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So here's my latest health debacle - a few weeks ago, my legs suddenly became very week, to the point where they often won't hold me up. I fell six times in a week and a half. The sixth time was in the parking garage at work - I scraped my foot badly, and hit my head on the concrete. I'd already seen my surgeon and told him I was having leg weakness and falling, and he just said "Well that shouldn't be happening." Gee, ya think? So after that bad fall, I went to my GP and he sent me to an orthopedist. Ortho said he didn't see any structural problems (other than severe arthritis in both knees, which I've had for years), and referred me to physical therapy. I've been doing the PT three days a week for the past two weeks. Last night's session, I told the therapist that I've been having more and more trouble standing from a sitting position, so he had me do that 30 times as one of my exercises. After my legs we SO weak, and today they were sore. Well, I'm at work and go to sit back down at my desk, and out go my legs - I hit the floor. It was humiliating - all my coworkers were trying to help, bless them, but I work with an office full of small women, and I'm still nearly 300 pounds. I couldn't get up, and I had to call my husband to leave his job and come help me off the floor of the office!

All this is to ask - has anyone else had this kind of major leg weakness post-op? The ortho had be go back to my GP to have an electrolyte panel done, and I'm waiting on the results of that. But I'm really freaked out. I hit my head a lot when I fall, and I'm afraid of falling and knocking myself out when there's no one around to help.

I've lost 100 pounds in a few months, due to several OTHER health issues, plus the surgery. I'm wondering if that is causing this?

@@fairgge -- I have no answers for you and won't waste our time with speculation. All I can offer is the suggestion that you use a cane for support for as long as keeps you from falling. You probably don't like hearing it, but the alternate may be broken bones or concussion. While you're being tested, examined and prodded for the source and a solution, do whatever will keep you upright.

If the falls have been not frequent and you have some warning signs before, you might prefer a collapsible cane which you can whip out when needed. I think they're made of sections on a bungee cord or similar. I've never seen them in places like CVS, so you might need to visit a surgical supply store to try one out.

If two canes of any type will have you feeling more secure on your feet, go for it. Maybe one of each type -- the regular one for regular use and the other when additional support is indicated.

Consider a walker, too. Your safety is more important now than vanity.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

My suggestion wis to see a neurologist. You may have nerve damage somewhere that is making it so easy to fall. I went through a period of falling. I would just fall forward for no reason. Pain management doc sent me to neurologist to find out what was up. Sciatica was causing muscle weakness in my legs and my ankles became sort of flimsy. Started using a cane everywhere. No more falls. , I'm 12 days out from surgery and have lost 25 pounds. No need for cane and no falls. I walk for exercise and I can feel how much stronger my ankles are. I just keep going to doctors until I get an answer.

I haven't experienced this personally, but it reminds me of some things I have seen and heard by some WLS patients. A neurologist would be a good first start. Also, how are your Vitamin levels. Have you had blood work done recently? I THINK I have heard of similar symptoms with a Vitamin D deficiency (but I wouldn't swear to it).

@@fairgge -- the neurologist suggestion is excellent. Muscles and nerves are a package deal. What you've been experiencing shouldn't be happening..

Hitting your head on concrete just registered with me. Did you black out? Since it happened, have you experienced any dizziness or headaches? Nausea? Vision changes? Confusion? Speech difficulties? Numbness, especially on one side of your body? Was your head bruised at the contact spot (which would be no surprise)? Even if the answers are "No," let the neuro know about the head-bangs. If any are "Yes," tell the person you speak with when you call for an appointment.

Asking for ideas here is step. Next is to seek further medical attention. You don't want to be falling and, the sooner you find out what's causing it, the sooner you'll be done with it.

P.S. I have no medical training. I asked about all those symptoms because I was asked about all of them when I went to the ER the day after I sustained a concussion six months ago. I've experienced and still experience headaches, dizziness and some vision oddities, though all have improved over time. Nausea set in only twice in the first couple of weeks after my fall.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

During months 3 - 6 after my sleeve I constantly felt off balance. Like I was going to fall over. I did not see my doctor during this time but I should have. I was not being consistent with the Vitamins because I could not find one I liked. I kept looking and finally found one. Once I got on track with the vitamins my balance got back to normal. I did not feel my legs were weak so this may not be rhe same thing.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I should have specified that I am using a walker - my fall two days ago was my first since the doctor put me on it. My surgeon's office did bloodwork a few weeks ago and said everything looked fine, but I suppose I should be sure they checked my Vitamin levels. I still haven't heard back from the electrolyte panel - I hope they call soon.

The neurologist is going to be my next call if the electrolyte panel doesn't show anything. I'm frankly a little concerned about MS. But then again, when I hear hooves I tend to think zebras, not horses. :)

So here's my latest health debacle - a few weeks ago, my legs suddenly became very week, to the point where they often won't hold me up. I fell six times in a week and a half. The sixth time was in the parking garage at work - I scraped my foot badly, and hit my head on the concrete. I'd already seen my surgeon and told him I was having leg weakness and falling, and he just said "Well that shouldn't be happening." Gee, ya think? So after that bad fall, I went to my GP and he sent me to an orthopedist. Ortho said he didn't see any structural problems (other than severe arthritis in both knees, which I've had for years), and referred me to physical therapy. I've been doing the PT three days a week for the past two weeks. Last night's session, I told the therapist that I've been having more and more trouble standing from a sitting position, so he had me do that 30 times as one of my exercises. After my legs we SO weak, and today they were sore. Well, I'm at work and go to sit back down at my desk, and out go my legs - I hit the floor. It was humiliating - all my coworkers were trying to help, bless them, but I work with an office full of small women, and I'm still nearly 300 pounds. I couldn't get up, and I had to call my husband to leave his job and come help me off the floor of the office!

All this is to ask - has anyone else had this kind of major leg weakness post-op? The ortho had be go back to my GP to have an electrolyte panel done, and I'm waiting on the results of that. But I'm really freaked out. I hit my head a lot when I fall, and I'm afraid of falling and knocking myself out when there's no one around to help.

I've lost 100 pounds in a few months, due to several OTHER health issues, plus the surgery. I'm wondering if that is causing this?

Though it didn't happen post-op, I had **extreme** leg weakness as a symptom of Graves disease (overactive thyroid). I recalling falling a few times, but the bigger difficulty was standing after being seated. My thighs had no strength whatsoever. I had to hold on to something to even stand from the toilet. I recall crawling up the stairs in my house too since my legs were basically useless.

May be worth checking your thyroid level.

dhrguru, that's also a problem I'm having. I did have my thyroid checked a couple of weeks ago, and the doc lowered my synthroid dose a little. I'm not sure if that's a factor or not, but I'll remember to mention it to him - Thanks!

@@fairgge -- Good that you're ahead of our suggestions.

It's difficult, but please try not to speculate. You'll find out whatever you find out as you go along. The only thing speculation can do is make you miserable. For now, think ponies.

I would have your doctor do a full nutritional panel. You would be very surprised what could show up that could cause your symptoms. Sometimes your GP will only do general testing. You need a full Bariatric panel done.

Ugh. So the electrolyte panel was normal. Back to square one. Got an appt with my GP in a few weeks to see what my next step is.

@@dhrguru - I have Graves also. The complaint that finally got me to go to the dr knowing something was wrong was the leg weakness. I would get out of the shower and my legs would shake uncontrollably and I would have to sit down. Going up the stairs in the parking garage at work was nearly impossible. Strange that is the first thing I thought too when I read this post.

@@fairgge - So very sorry you are having this issue. That is quite scary! Glad at least they are working on getting your thyroid straight. I am 5 months post-op and still under-medicated (not absorbing the Synthroid like before). I hope the neurologist can help you get it sorted out!

On 11/6/2015 at 5:54 PM, WLSResources/ClothingExch said:

@@fairgge -- I have no answers for you and won't waste our time with speculation. All I can offer is the suggestion that you use a cane for support for as long as keeps you from falling. You probably don't like hearing it, but the alternate may be broken bones or concussion. While you're being tested, examined and prodded for the source and a solution, do whatever will keep you upright.

If the falls have been not frequent and you have some warning signs before, you might prefer a collapsible cane which you can whip out when needed. I think they're made of sections on a bungee cord or similar. I've never seen them in places like CVS, so you might need to visit a surgical supply store to try one out.

If two canes of any type will have you feeling more secure on your feet, go for it. Maybe one of each type -- the regular one for regular use and the other when additional support is indicated.

Consider a walker, too. Your safety is more important now than vanity.

1. I read your 2015 post I am having this exact same problem PLEASE tell me what your doctors discovered from your leg weakness I am so desperate for answers I now have drop foot in both feet too, thank you. Lisaescobar55@gmail.com