Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 3 weeks out of surgery but I am so a scared to eat anything considering how it may make me feel. My question is what happens if a person doesn't try foods during the new phases.

Then you'll be drinking shakes and eating purees forever. You did a brave thing having surgery. Don't chicken out now! I'm adding new foods. Ate fish today. Ate two small crackers with a pureed bean topping yesterday. All OK on my plan. I eat new items when I don't have to go anywhere (at home for dinner) so if they bother me I'm in the comfort of my own home. So you can guess I avoid new foods during the day at work. It can be done! Luckily everything has been fine and it's been nice to eat other foods for different flavor and texture. Good luck!

You're needlessly making yourself unhappy. I suppose any number of things might happen if a person doesn't try foods at any given stage. Feel grumpy? Hungry? Postpone building confidence in the ability make good choices? Watch the trepidation mount proportionately to the delay? Feel one's teeth loosen for lack of use?

You should be following the practice's directions. They're designed to get you to the intersection of weight loss, satiety, safety and a feeling of well-being. Like any other time, if you take a taste of something that doesn't go down comfortably, stop.

How does it make you feel? Have your called your doctor? Your nutritionist?

Not eating delays your healing and your weight loss.

Take your time, if something doesn't sit well, try again a month later. Just make sure you continue to get your Protein and liquid in.

It's like we're babies trying food again for the first time.

Thanks guys I guess I'm just waiting to eat again without any discomfort of gas every single time I eat or belch. This makes me not want to try new foods. I just want to feel normal again. I haven't talked to my nut yet but I will get in contact with her. Also I don't want to chicken out I just want this to go quickly

@@lizag234 -- Is that what it's about? Gas is expected. WLS people get off easy. Are you aware of Ben Franklin's essay? The diplomat, presented to royal courts of Europe to represent the United States, had a crusty side. That's known. My point is that all we do is burp.

And, if you want to feel normal "again," you're way ahead of the game. Do you have any idea how many people never made it that far pre-surgery?

I've had the same feelings. I just moved to solid foods and I had ONE tiny chicken nugget yesterday and it made me pretty nauseous for several hours. It makes me scared to try new foods because I don't know if it will make me feel bad until I try. I just keep some zofran with me and practice my breathing exercise if I get really nauseated. It passes eventually.

Jeez. Eat something. If you burp, you burp.

Do you want to be successful or not? The only way you'll get there is by doing what you're supposed to do.

If you gotta cry, then cry.

But do it.

Or don't.

Your choice.

I've had the same feelings. I just moved to solid foods and I had ONE tiny chicken nugget yesterday and it made me pretty nauseous for several hours. It makes me scared to try new foods because I don't know if it will make me feel bad until I try. I just keep some zofran with me and practice my breathing exercise if I get really nauseated. It passes eventually.

"Chicken nugget" as in, a little piece of baked/boiled/poached/grilled chicken? Or an actual "chicken nugget" as in, a breaded and fried piece of something that may have once belonged on a chicken? Because those are two very different things, and if it was the latter, it's not surprising that it made you nauseated.

If you have just moved to solid foods, try a small piece of chicken breast that's been cooked in one of the above mentioned methods, or in a slow-cooker, ideally with some broth or gravy to moisten it. Go slowly, and chew each bite very thoroughly before swallowing.

Thanks guys I guess I'm just waiting to eat again without any discomfort of gas every single time I eat or belch. This makes me not want to try new foods. I just want to feel normal again. I haven't talked to my nut yet but I will get in contact with her. Also I don't want to chicken out I just want this to go quickly

Are you taking a PPI? That can greatly help with the gas, but keep in mind gas is part of the process. Belching is normal. Even over a year out I belch after eating, sometimes rather loudly.

This process will not go quickly if you do not start it.

So I am 3 weeks out of surgery but I am so a scared to eat anything considering how it may make me feel. My question is what happens if a person doesn't try foods during the new phases.

You are only 3 weeks out.

Me, too.

I personally don't see the harm in delaying the stages of progression a week or two......but that's just my untrained, unprofessional opinion.

The way I look at it is simply allowing your new stomach a little longer to heal.

Just make sure you are drinking your Protein and getting down the amounts you are supposed to.