Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After emergency band removal questions

I had my band put in 7 years ago, and I've never really had luck with fills or restriction from it. I would be fine for months then suddenly be over restricted. Therefore the majority of the time I left the band empty. I had not had any fills or issues for a year (empty band) until I was suddenly in so much pain at my band site that I couldn't function from a Friday to a Monday. I got into doctor ASAP on Monday morning and they said I had an infection and abscess near my port and lap band had to come out that day. I was in the hospital 4 days after surgery due to the infection. I am now post op 8 days and have been having a hard time eating regular food (even though I ate perfectly fine before band removal). I felt almost like I was restricted tonight but my band is gone. Anone else have issues after band was removed that I need it watch for?

I haven't had my band removed yet (it's forthcoming) but I suspect removal causes some swelling in the banded area, especially if the surgeon had to cut out any scar tissue that may have built up under the band.

Did they how your port and lap band became infected?

Parisshel they do not know what caused it to be infected. It had just been sitting there for years. Within the last 3 months I had started training for a half marathon. I wonder if all the activity caused it to slip but they only said there was an abscess and it was infected. I can say I am super happy to have it out though.

Wow...that's scary to know that an infection can occur just like that.

I'm looking forward to my removal, too. Mine has been a ticking time bomb for the past year, when I started having complications. I'm glad to not have to continue to worry about "what next"?

Wishing you the best, and especially for your half marathon.

Recovery has been much slower than when I got it in but I'm getting stronger every day. Best of luck on your removal too. Hopefully it will be easier than mine since it is scheduled and not infected.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches