Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you eventually able to eat anything?

I'm like @@Babbs and @@Kindle ... I can eat anything. I've never thrown up even once. And I don't dump. BTW, I'm 14.5 months post-op and have been at or below goal for 6 months now.

Like Babbs, I still use My Fitness Pal, which I used from two months before VSG surgery to plan and track everything I've eaten. However, at my shrink's urging, lately I've been (gasp!) experimenting with not using MFP for a few days at a time to develop my skills to eat instinctually, mindfully. That's his jargon for "eat like a normal person." ;)

In any event, every time I don't track I actually lose a little bit of weight. Weird. At this point, I can't imagine never tracking food again. It really does permit me to maintain control over food, something I truly want to do.

But back to your questions -- when I was losing weight I was very disciplined about what I ate and how much. However, I did not avoid carbs -- just starchy and sugary ones, slider ones. Since maintenance, I still focus on eating very nutritious food. I've added more calories and foods that I'd never have touched while losing weight. However, at this point I trust myself to eat anything, but not tons of it. I eat an average of 1700 calories a day to maintain at 140 pounds.

My restriction at a single sitting is still around 3/4 to 1 cup (max). I still eat lots of Protein (perhaps too much). What I don't do is graze. I eat 3 meals and couple of healthy Snacks.

Come the holidays I fully expect to eat small amounts of Desserts, but I'll also be very active (I've turned into a committed walker).

Happily, I'm not worried or anxious about the upcoming food season at all. :)

Totally needed to read this right now. I am on day 3 of my pre op and today was emotionally hard, like I broke up with food today. Like I mentally experienced death of the food I love. Several times today I thought to myself I can't do this. Even saying it I didn't cheat. I just had a melt down with my husband who tried to explain what life could be like if I stick it out. What he explained sounded so good, and what he explained is what you've written. Little blessing received.

Hi - I am new to the sleeve, I am in my 4th week. Can someone please tell me what sliming and dumping are? Neither sound that great.

Neither is pleasant. Thankfully I have only heard of them and not experienced them first hand. Slimming is when you eat too fast and something about the food going too fast into a small space causes your tummy to back up and it displaces your saliva with the food so the saliva comes back up creating a slimy sensation. Also called the foamies.

Dumping is when the food sugars and/or fat are too much for your body to handle and you get a version of the runs. Dumping is rare for sleevers. Bypass patients typically get it because of how their bodies are rerouted and the malabsorption that comes with it.

The worse I have experienced from eating to fast was a horrible tummy ache that took hours to go away. That was all the reminder I ever need.

Oh how I know about sliming and frothing! My sleeve is starting to tolerate more 5 months out but still has trouble with chicken and eggs. Mostly I need to focus on not trying to overload it by trying to finish "the last bite"

Samantha, sounds like you've done a lot of it. My standby Breakfast when I go out to eat is eggs and one price of toast and strawberries. I had this this morning and I was wondering if I was going to be able to eat eggs after surgery

Sadly, yes I can eat anything, now. I never had issues with vomiting, dumping, or sliming. I eat like a normal person for the most part, but always (mostly) follow the bariatric rules.

Gone are the days of 1-2 bites filling me up. As time goes on, you'll find maintaining the loss becomes much more "you" and much less physically imposed restriction of the sleeve. I doubt I can consume as much now as I used to, and frankly I don't want to try, but I have to make good choices and impose some restriction, or I'd be gaining weight. I try to be very strict during the week, and loosen up a little on the weekends because there is usually some event that makes sticking to 1000 calories harder. Oh, and I do track all my food, even when I'm indulging. I've found that to be a quick way to reign myself in.

I am just over 6 months out. My typical day is breakfast: scrambled egg and salsa with one piece of Canadian bacon. Snack: greek yogurt snack 2: turkey pepperoni with cheese Lunch: grilled chicken with veggies or Soup Dinner: lean meat with veggies. I do have some carbs: mashed potatoes, crackers, popcorn, etc but in limited quantities. I can pretty much eat anything but in VERY limited quantities. I don't know what sliming is, but I have never gotten sick. I get full really quickly though. Sweets are difficult. If I partake it is VERY small.

I can eat everything but my wife's meatloaf.

(Ba-dum, Tish. :))

I'm 3 years out and can eat mostly everything. Sugar makes me flush and have heart palpitations. Fried food makes me nauseous.

I can have a bite or two of something sweet but that's it. I've never really been a sweets person anyway. I definitely can't drink anything with sugar.