Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you eventually able to eat anything?

I can eating anything I want. During my weight loss phase I ate Protein and veggies and avoided all carbs like the plague.

Now that I am in maintenance I still get my protein first then veggies and if I have room some carbs.

During special occasions like holidays or vacations I eat whatever I want. I splurge without any guilt. For example I will eat pie, Cookies, bread at the holidays.

I just make sure after the special occasion is over I get right back to my plan.

The only food that I have found that my sleeve doesn't like is ice cream and anything fried. The ice cream makes me nauseous and I have cold sweats. The fried food I just can't tolerate the taste. Other than that I have a sleeve of steel!!

I'm like @@Babbs and @@Kindle ... I can eat anything. I've never thrown up even once. And I don't dump. BTW, I'm 14.5 months post-op and have been at or below goal for 6 months now.

Like Babbs, I still use My Fitness Pal, which I used from two months before VSG surgery to plan and track everything I've eaten. However, at my shrink's urging, lately I've been (gasp!) experimenting with not using MFP for a few days at a time to develop my skills to eat instinctually, mindfully. That's his jargon for "eat like a normal person." ;)

In any event, every time I don't track I actually lose a little bit of weight. Weird. At this point, I can't imagine never tracking food again. It really does permit me to maintain control over food, something I truly want to do.

But back to your questions -- when I was losing weight I was very disciplined about what I ate and how much. However, I did not avoid carbs -- just starchy and sugary ones, slider ones. Since maintenance, I still focus on eating very nutritious food. I've added more calories and foods that I'd never have touched while losing weight. However, at this point I trust myself to eat anything, but not tons of it. I eat an average of 1700 calories a day to maintain at 140 pounds.

My restriction at a single sitting is still around 3/4 to 1 cup (max). I still eat lots of Protein (perhaps too much). What I don't do is graze. I eat 3 meals and couple of healthy Snacks.

Come the holidays I fully expect to eat small amounts of Desserts, but I'll also be very active (I've turned into a committed walker).

Happily, I'm not worried or anxious about the upcoming food season at all. :)

I am 29 days post op. I found out I can not eat Bean Soup and Onion Rings. My husband makes the best Bean soup. I ate it and was up all night and the next entire day with heartburn. It was horrible.

Found this out recently with onion rings. Too gassy.

not worth the pain

16 months out and I can eat pretty much anything I want without getting sick. I am not depriving myself of anything but I am pretty good about my food choices these days. If it is something I really want, I will eat it. The good thing is a bite or two usually does the trick and satisfies the craving. I am just the opposite of most people. I don't track or weight my food. It just stresses me out too much. I am at the point now where I can pretty much eye ball how much I can eat.

I can eat anything - no real restriction. Ice cream used to make me "dump" but I seem to have grown out of that now.

I consider myself as lucky - my tummy is normal now. i get hungry, I eat a modest quantity and I am no longer hungry. If eat alot of junk, my appetite is triggered, but that is true of lots of people.

I do have "treats" but not all the time and in limited quantities.

It is a fallacy to expect that WLS will forever restrict your ability or desire to over eat, or eat the "wrong" things and I am not sure where people get that idea.

I'm 5 months out and can eat anything I desire. That being said, I don't eat bread, Pasta, potatoes, rice or many carbs because I'm a type 1 diabetic. I eat my Protein first, then green veggies and for a treat every so often I'll have fruit. I've been able to cut my insulin use to 1/4 of what I used to take and although it's difficult at times, I try to keep my carbs below 20 grams a day. It's all worth it! I'm down 5 sizes and feel 20 years younger. I'm not at goal yet, but I'm getting there slowly but surely. I made it through Halloween without even a nibble of chocolate so I have no doubt I can sail through this coming holiday season. I'm a month shy of my 65th birthday and now instead of always wondering if I'll live through another month, I'm looking forward to the years ahead of me!

Edited by Bubbletoes

3 months out...and I haven't found anything that I can't have in appetizer-size portions. That may have been true as early as one month out.

So, short answer: YES

Intelligent answer: There are certain things you really shouldn't have ever again unless you want to be sucked into the blackhole they created in all our lives. I was forced to have rigatoni at a wedding and it was fine, but any carb puts the weight loss in the penalty box for a few days and requires clean eating, perhaps a liquid Protein kick, to restart.

Sleevy Wonder

Yes. I found that eating out causes my weight to stall..

When and if I eat sweets it'll be raw honey, fruit, nuts.. But very small amounts bc although these are nutritious, they still have calories

I just hit my one year anniversary and have been on maintenance for 8 months. I can eat anything and it doesn't bother my sleeve. I don't measure or track my food. Never have during this process. 5/6 small meals a day. While I was losing I ate very little carbs. I still follow the general rule of Protein first and then veg and carbs. Except when I have oatmeal but then I add some unflavored Protein to it. When I snack it's usually Skinny Pop. When I go on vacation or have a fun weekend with treats I make sure I am back on track when I return. I stay within a 2 lb range. I also work out every day. I don't drink carbonated drinks or alcohol. coffee with a little Creamer, Water, or Powerade zero are what I drink. I was just downgraded from my Gold Status at Starbucks to green because I rarely go anymore. Not a bad thing since it saves me money and calories. I will have some pumpkin pie filling on Thanksgiving.

Best of luck-

LA

Hi - I am new to the sleeve, I am in my 4th week. Can someone please tell me what sliming and dumping are? Neither sound that great.