Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

esophagus dilation and lap band removal HELP!

My esophagus is dilated do to the Lap band. When I went for the upper GI it looks almost double the size a normal esophagus should be. How long does it normally take to heal?

Apparently the surgeon who will be removing my lap band is the best one at Kaiser. Regardless if he’s good, I thought he was an a*****e. I felt belittled by his answers and although I could go for a second opinion I know I’m going to need to get the lap band removed regardless. He said it’ll take a year for my esophagus to heal but I don’t know if that answer was exaggerated as I felt all his other answers were.

For instance: When I asked about how much weight people normally gain after the lap band was removed, he said many people even lose weight because you can actually eat the right stuff and my hunger would stay the same. I asked how long would it take for me to heal after the surgery, he said because it’s a simple procedure many people go back to work the next day but it’s up to me. When he asked if I drink, I said yes on occasion he told me I needed to stop. I said I don’t drink everyday and proceeded to show me what alcoholism does to your liver. OK, SIR, I AM NOT AN ALCOHOLIC. He asked me when I wanted to get the lapband removed (although NEVER) and told him after the Holidays. He was upset at my response and said, "I had another patient asking if they can get it removed next week, but I said NO because I thought you were going to want to do it." Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okkkkkkkkkkkkkk,,,,,,,, my appt. is Dec 2.

The nurse is GREAT and I told her what happened and she told me she would talk to him. After they spoke, it almost seemed as if the story changed. She told me he would like to see me in 6 months after the procedure to know how I’m healing and I would be able to do the sleeve. I’m trying with all my heart just to stay positive.

Again, with a dilated esophagus that almost seems double the size, does anyone know how long it takes to heal? Are there any remedies, Vitamins to speed up the dilation recovery process?? Thank you. <3

Hi there! On my little blog you asked about my BMI. I had lost 80 pounds in the first year after Lap-Band! After the full adjustment was removed from my band I was told I would need to gain about 20 pounds which brought my BMI to 33 I believe!

Are you going to go to a sleeve revision? I believe I have been very fortunate to have had a great surgeon and in reality a very easy go of the revision! I will be two weeks post op tomorrow I have lost 21 pounds so almost back to what was normal Lap Band weight still a ways from goal weight! I found gaining weight was very easy so be careful!

Good Luck!

Thank you for your response! Well I spoke to the nurse and I kept asking if they expected me to gain weight in order to qualify for the sleeve. She finally when to ask the surgeon and apparently he said No. I don't know if you read my forum question from above but I don't quite remember if you mentioned you had a dilated esophagus as well. I am planning on going on Belviq after the lapband removal.

Hi there! On my little blog you asked about my BMI. I had lost 80 pounds in the first year after Lap-Band! After the full adjustment was removed from my band I was told I would need to gain about 20 pounds which brought my BMI to 33 I believe!

Are you going to go to a sleeve revision? I believe I have been very fortunate to have had a great surgeon and in reality a very easy go of the revision! I will be two weeks post op tomorrow I have lost 21 pounds so almost back to what was normal Lap Band weight still a ways from goal weight! I found gaining weight was very easy so be careful!
Good Luck!

Hi! Curious to know if you had the removal. I had the band installed in 2002. I took awhile to lose all the weight, but was pretty steady for years. Almost two years ago decided to just to a routine check as I had not been to a doctor in years. Well upon a fluoroscopy at my Kaiser, my esophagus was also double its size. My band had been too tight for years. I just learned to live with it. I could eat and drink..although slow to move down. So they did a complete unfill a few weeks later and then waited 3 months and rechecked. My esophagus with was back to normal..so another month later did a small refill. By then..I had already quickly regained 50lbs. Your doctor is full of himself if he thinks you would actually lose weight because you are now eating right..blah blah. I hope that is case, but with unfill so I have seen the opposite around here. I was gaining lbs per day even with severe calorie restriction..it was a free fall..no matter what I did..I gained! Your body goes into an abnormal state with the band... I think a prolonged starvation mode...any upset in that delicate abnormal balance and your body just does what it wants. I literally could have gained on drinking Water only. It did finally stabilize at the 50lbs..I had lost a total of 130 with the band so at least it was not 100% gain..but still bad enough. Cost me thousands in new wardrobe for work, casual and motorcycle gear!

My doctor told me that if I expanded the esophagus again then would have to consider a removal. I won't see that doctor again as I am no longer at Kaiser or even near one now that I moved to central coast. I am headed to Mexico tomorrow because after a fill with a doctor near by I had used for fills when I didn't want to go to Mexico anymore..something happened most likely with my port. Probably became unstitched from the muscle around my lower abdomen and has now migrated to my waist area. Dr Kuri will be checking with flouro first thing in morning and then will determine was is wrong and what surgery I will need and will go under immediately..Hoping it is just a simple port replacement and stitch down.

Would love to know how you are doing. Sucks to have to remove the band. I am praying I can keep mind. I since had lost 10lbs since the last fill. It may be a little tight but this port issue caused a lot of pain and could swelling.. I really want to lose the 40lbs BUT more importantly the band is there to help me keep it off. Praying!

oH WOW! Thank you for your response! Its been a whileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee since I posted this. Have I gained weight.. YUP. but it could definitely be worse. ha. Im sure ive gained about 10 lbs since December. I do count my calories... wlabout 3-4 times a week and do zumba 3 times a week with weights. It has been hard!! I am planning on doing the revision. and I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT YOUR BODY GOES IN STARVATION MODE!!!!!!! That was something that I feared the most!! and Its been OK..it could be so much worse. I am trying my best to be positive while I wait and go into the options program next month. :) I did honestly struggle with the band. everything always coming up... This seems like the longest wait ever.. but next month will already be 6 months. :)

Hi! Curious to know if you had the removal. I had the band installed in 2002. I took awhile to lose all the weight, but was pretty steady for years. Almost two years ago decided to just to a routine check as I had not been to a doctor in years. Well upon a fluoroscopy at my Kaiser, my esophagus was also double its size. My band had been too tight for years. I just learned to live with it. I could eat and drink..although slow to move down. So they did a complete unfill a few weeks later and then waited 3 months and rechecked. My esophagus with was back to normal..so another month later did a small refill. By then..I had already quickly regained 50lbs. Your doctor is full of himself if he thinks you would actually lose weight because you are now eating right..blah blah. I hope that is case, but with unfill so I have seen the opposite around here. I was gaining lbs per day even with severe calorie restriction..it was a free fall..no matter what I did..I gained! Your body goes into an abnormal state with the band... I think a prolonged starvation mode...any upset in that delicate abnormal balance and your body just does what it wants. I literally could have gained on drinking Water only. It did finally stabilize at the 50lbs..I had lost a total of 130 with the band so at least it was not 100% gain..but still bad enough. Cost me thousands in new wardrobe for work, casual and motorcycle gear!

My doctor told me that if I expanded the esophagus again then would have to consider a removal. I won't see that doctor again as I am no longer at Kaiser or even near one now that I moved to central coast. I am headed to Mexico tomorrow because after a fill with a doctor near by I had used for fills when I didn't want to go to Mexico anymore..something happened most likely with my port. Probably became unstitched from the muscle around my lower abdomen and has now migrated to my waist area. Dr Kuri will be checking with flouro first thing in morning and then will determine was is wrong and what surgery I will need and will go under immediately..Hoping it is just a simple port replacement and stitch down.

Would love to know how you are doing. Sucks to have to remove the band. I am praying I can keep mind. I since had lost 10lbs since the last fill. It may be a little tight but this port issue caused a lot of pain and could swelling.. I really want to lose the 40lbs BUT more importantly the band is there to help me keep it off. Praying!

Glad to hear you are doing well without the band. I tell people I felt like a mere mortal again when I was unfilled..for me it was not just the restriction I missed, but the lack of hunger with the band. It puts us into an abnormal state of starvation mode. Doctors cannot explain it and tend to go by the book on care of the band. The doctor at Kaiser and his dietician just assumed I was out of control eating while unfilled. She just treated me like a newly banded patient with textbook advice on what to eat and how much..etc..I wanted to punch her..really!? I was counting every single calorie and was staying at 800 or less calories..any normal person would have been dropping weight like crazy...me..I was gaining! It all happened pretty fast then stopped. Once I started getting refilled slightly that helped. I am scared my results tomorrow..hoping it is port only issue. I really don't want to lose my band..nor revise to sleeve..uggh..we shall see. Thanks for updating and best of luck with whatever your next move is!