Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've really been struggling for the last 2-3 weeks. I had RNY on May 11/15. As of today I am 178 lbs, down from 250 lbs (72 lbs). At 5 & 1/2 months out I feel I should have lost a little more. My weight loss has been quite slow since about the beginning of August. Today I finally came out of a 3 week stall. However, I know that the slowed weight loss is entirely my doing. My appetite has definitely returned and I have been making bad choices quite regularly over the last month or so.

I do fairly well during the day, although I have had a slice of pizza more often than I should. However, it's mainly the evenings that are my downfall. After the kids are in bed and chores are done I end up snacking and the Snacks have changed from veggies & fruit to chips, pretzels, popcorn...anything salty and crunchy! I know it's not wise and everyday I tell myself today I won't succumb to the cravings...but I really feel like I'm losing the battle. I truly don't want to screw this up but it's so hard!

I've recently joined a gym and have a personal trainer who requires that I keep a food journal but even that doesn't seem to be helping! I am due to see my nutritionist as well as the bariatric centre's psychologist in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping that they will have some support and tools to offer. I just don't know how to wire my brain to keep the motivation. Feeling so down.

I too weighed about 250 when I had my RNY at the end of July. Last week, I met with the RN and NUT for my 3-month checkup. The nurse said that because I didn't start at a much heavier weight, the weight loss would slow sooner than a person who was 300 or 400 pounds. I wasn't frustrated by my weight-loss progress, but more so with a stubborn plateau and wanted to know the science behind a plateau. I was curious as to how in one weekend, I could take two 8-mile hikes, take in less than 600 calories per day and not lose an ounce.

One of the many times I was in Weight Watchers and was in the program long enough to experience a plateau, someone once told me to increase my carbs for a few days, that would trick my body into thinking it wasn't on a diet and my plateau would break. So this is what I did.

Going from a high Protein diet to a high carb diet was an eye-opener. First off, I didn't feel "light" on my feet. I felt like a slug. I didn't want to exercise. But most importantly, what I realized was that I started craving more carbs and was hungry ALL OF THE TIME. I felt totally out of control! I haven't felt like that since surgery and it was scary. I imagined myself sliding right back were I started.

My plateau broke this past weekend after three weeks. Was it the high carb diet or did the plateau just run it's course? I have no idea. I do know that I will never do that again. As far as I'm concerned, too many carbs is not a good idea.

You've already recognized that you have some problem times. Prepare in advance for these times. Instead of eating salty Snacks full of carbs - how about a Protein Bar, some beef Jerky, or some fruit? There are some dried fruits, like apples that are crunchy and even come flavored.

The best way of taking care of that "I'm feeling down" or "I'm doing so bad" feelings is to take control back from old habits. Take control and plan ahead. Plan for those times when it's difficult to stay on track. Google it. Keep writing in your food journal.

Good luck!

I'm sitting in a similar boat. I'm not where I thought I'd be food choice wise at this point. I get my Protein, Water and Vitamins in every day but I'm eating way more processed sweets than I thought I would or could. I struggle between being ok, or rather proud of, and being disappointed in what I eat now compared to prior to surgery. I do not want to do extremely low carb as it is not how I want to live the rest of my life but I do need to reel in the kinds of carbs I'm allowing myself. Why must it be so difficult? Trying to navigate this new life, without falling into the "not goodnuff" trap is harder than I anticipated.

Wishing you luck, I hope you find some good help at your upcoming appointments.

Can you find a way to add Protein or healthy fats to your Snacks? Dip your pretzels in nut butter or have some cheese with crackers.