Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess it depends on the surgery you had and what stage of weight loss you are in.

Corn. Corn is pretty good, I think. I had the sleeve, and I'm 6 months out. I know I have had corn. I don't think there is anything out there i can't have. Maybe some things I shouldn't...so I steer clear of those things. But I don't think a little corn would hurt you. I don't eat any type of bread, so I can't really speak about breads. I fear bread.

I don't know ANYTHING we "can't ever have again".

Unless it makes you sick, there is nothing you can never eat again. However the amounts and frequency of how often we eat it often has to change drastically. Other than in Soup, I don't think I've had corn more than 3 times in the year I've been sleeved. I haven't had cornbread at all. I used to love them both, but now it's just not high on my list of priorities.

Corn is largely carbohydrate and I can't waste sleeve space on carbs right now. That is probably why you were told that. Also, it is difficult for the stomach to digest fibrous vegetables, especially when you are on an acid reducer.

Like others have said there aren't many nevers. You can most likely eat it if you use moderation and include it after you've eaten your required Protein, etc. I happen to have a mildly picky sleeve, though, and can't tolerate corn very well, it upsets my stomach along with rice and a few other things.

My surgeon specifically told me to avoid corn merely because it doesn't really digest. She said this right before I had a balloon dilation for a stricture where I had a piece of peanut (also apparently not very digestible) stuck in the tiny pinhole that was the only space open at the bottom of my stomach. I thought nuts were ok but she said cashews were fine (because they are softer); almonds maybe; peanuts are not.

Having said that, I don't think either is necessarily off limits. It is just that it doesn't have the nutritional value you might think it does and your system may (will) have difficulty digesting it.

I have had bypass and I eat corn as a vegetable about once per week. I have also had a small spoonful of corn cake and corn tortillas.

The thing is, you will find that things like corn bread and corn tortillas fill up your pouch really fast and can even cause an uncomfortable feeling depending on how far post op you are.

I literally get full on 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food and it is tight getting to my Protein goals if I eat only 3 meals so I try to save pouch space for Protein.< /p>

I still love corn and choose to eat it every once in a while using the 2/1 approach. 2 bites of protein for every 1 bite of carbs. I try to focus those carbs on veggies. I track my carbs every day for every meal and find if I stay under 100 grams a day, I lose weight, if I go over, I don't lose and can even cause a stall.

My surgeon says corn as a veggie is fine, but to remember it has higher carbs so not to have it as often as some if the other green leafy stuff. However corn as cornmeal is a no-no until goal weight. Apparently something about the milling process changes the way your body digests it and should be avoided. Hope this helps.

I have had small bites of corn that was grilled, then shucked of the cob. It was pretty soft but only two bites were taken before I felt instantly full and for a long time. My Surgeon says carby veggies are the last thing I should be eating as the one or four bites don't provide any nutrition and are mostly sugar.

There are no "nevers" in life. Even after WLS.

Corn is a starchy vegetable and eating it should be kept to a minimum. The corn we eat as a vegetable, sweet corn, is bad as it contains sugars. Other types of corn, such as popcorn, is filled with starch which the body turns into sugar.