Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op diet plan as given to you by the surgeon/nut

After browsing the forums for quite a bit now, I can't help but notice that there is quite a bit of variation in the post op diet plans that are given to each respective person by the surgeon and nutritionist. So, out of curiosity I am making this thread for anyone interested to post the plan that they were given to see what are common factors and what are different approaches.

My assigned plan:

Day of surgery: nothing entered my stomach. I was on IV fluids all day.

Day 1-7: Clear liquids only. chicken, beef and vegetable broth. The seasoning was limited to very little salt, pepper and cumin. Only 2 juices are allowed: apple and watermelon, preferably fresh and without artificial sweeteners. Highly recommended: Tea with anise to soothe the stomach from gas, green tea, any kind of tea. Can add honey or up to 2 tsp of sugar a day only.

Day 8-25: Anything mentioned above. oatmeal. Low fat/Non Fat plain yogurt. Yogurt drink called laban ayran or kefir. pureed Soups such as lentil Soup, squash, potato, carrot soup. Still avoiding any citrus, fruit heavy dairy. 2 times a week instead of juice: pudding, milk pudding or Jello.< /p>

Day 25-35: Anything mentioned above. 2 spoons of soft rice without oil/butter etc. with grilled/steamed/boiled veggies, savory yogurt (this is a middle eastern thing), thin Tomato sauce. Fitness Cereal with low fat milk. Make sure the cereal gets soft with the milk. A cracker or biscuit with tea.

After that, no restrictions but they have given a long guideline of things to avoid, nutrition tips etc. So far I am hating the diet plan. I want meat, I want solid food, I want fruit, I want orange juice. All those things are banned for 35 days :(

Edited by Ray92

Full liquids - 2 weeks. Anything thinner than a milkshake

Purees - 2 weeks. Baby food consistency

Soft Foods - 2 weeks. food must be melt in your mouth or easily chewed

All foods as tolerated. No caffeinated drinks for first 6 weeks.

Yes there is quite a bit of variation by the surgeons for the Pre/Post Op diets, even for the same surgery type.

I would recommend following your surgeon's and nutritionist's recommendations. We are only talking about 1 month post surgery. There are many foods you can have at the appropriate stages and spices that you can use to change things up with.

There are many things worse, such as a person who has no food to eat due to famine -I am sure they wouldn't mind a meal of boiled veggies or Soup.< /p>

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

The food plans really differ. I was on Clear Liquids for the first 6 days and then we went to regular food. No juices, Pasta, potatoes, rice, crackers or bread recommended for the first six months. Protein first (60 to 80 grams a day is goal) then veggies or fruit. No coffee for 30 days, no alcohol ever. The recommended snack for first 60 days was a Protein shake and then you could switch to a Protein Bar. No salad or unpeeled fruit for the first 60 days.

Two multi Vitamins a day, B12 once a week, 1500 mg Calcium citrate a day. No probiotic was recommended but I added one on my own.

@@4MRB4PHOTO I have been following my guidelines to the last letter. Haven't faltered once and wouldn't even consider it! I don't want to end up harming myself. Not to mention, I put my body through a surgery and I am not going to botch it over some cravings, thats for sure. Thanks for putting in perspective though! It's good to remember that in the grand scheme of things, I am blessed.

@@BestDayEver Good luck with your nutrition plan! It sounds very much focused on Protein intake which sounds great. I have a 35 day restriction on raw vegetables and peeled fruit.< /p>

@@Ray92 Yours does seem very different from most of the other plans I've seen. Mine is similar to others, just the length of each stage varies.

Day 1-3 clear liquids only but included clear Protein such as Isopure RTD

Days 4-10 full liquids including enough Protein shakes to reach at least 60 gm per day, low sugar yogurt, sf pudding, etc

Days 11-21 - pureed/soft foods - use real food as much as possible but make up difference in Protein Shakes to continue getting enough Protein

Day 22 and on - regular food, chewed to applesauce consistency 3 meals, 2 Snacks per day.

Although I agree with following your own specific directions I would ask why they don't have you on any protein except the bit of yogurt? It seems like you would be burning up a lot of muscle, without adequate protein intake. Are you a vegetarian or vegan? I know there are some vegan protein supplements available though I don't know anything about their quality.

I'm vegetarian and my doctor still required Protein from day 1. I was given ProSource Nocarb Liquid Protein in the hospital. My doctor wanted me aiming for that minimum of 60 grams of protein from the very beginning.

@@drmeow As per the doctor's orders. No meat,chicken or fish for 35 days. He didn't prescribe any Protein supplements either. I think he expects patients to focus on consuming dairy and high Protein Beans, lentils and such.

To be very frank, the program is not working out for me today. I feel very faint and very fatigued. I really need to find a way to get more protein into my system. Unfortunately I still have 22 days to go until I can eat meats.

You're on Day 13, so I might try adding some Protein Powder to your yogurt - the unflavored kind. You can get a nice Protein hit that way.

You're on Day 13, so I might try adding some Protein powder to your yogurt - the unflavored kind. You can get a nice Protein hit that way.

I am going to give the nut a call just to get a green light and then I am going to do that. Also today's fatigue I discovered was because I have not consumed any juice or anything with sugar for more than 48 hrs. Once I had a glass of juice I felt energetic again.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk