Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am currently waiting to be scheduled for surgery. Should get the call next week for a date! I'm really nervous! Why the drain tube? Yes, I know I should just research this but quite frankly, research just scares me! And why staples? I had a c section 18mo ago and they used the glue and steri strips. No staples and that's a huge incision compared to the one's for a DS. Those 2 things scare the crap outta me probably more than the surgery itself. Silly! I attend support groups and just about everyone who had the sleeve wishes they could have gotten the DS. Is the Protein and Vitamins hard to get down? I've been told that pure Protein Shakes are the best. And have heard mixed things about the chewable vitamins. Any feedback is appreciated!

I can't answer re: the staples. I do know I had them and stitches. I didn't have a drain. Some surgeons use it, others don't. Some have you wear a binder (mine didn't) others don't. Some put you in ICU (mine didn't). Just depends on the surgeon.

As for the Protein. It was hard for me, but YMMV. The rule of thumb is 30 grams in 30 days, 60 grams in 60 days, etc. I couldn't make that for anything. I was at 50 grams at 6 mos. and that was drinking at least 1 Protein shake a day. Then things loosened up and I was able to eat more. But everyone is different. You might be able to eat a lot. But if you can, don't fret. Just ensure it's Protein and you'll be OK. I didn't love Protein shakes but I drank them. I liked Muscle Milk and Myoplex the best. They came in premade 4 packs. I never used powder. BTW, I looked at the ingredients of the Pure Protein Shake. They are low sugar so that's good. They're very high protein. While that's good in a protein kind of way; when things are very high protein, they're often very dense. Give it a try postop, and see if you can live with it.

The Vitamins are a lot. I won't lie. Certainly in the beginning there were many fewer than I take now. It's all based on your blood work. That's why it's so important to do it annually or semi-annually (depending on your doctor's preference). Concerning chewables, we only used them in the very beginning. We then moved on to Centrum.

Might I suggest a Dexa bone density scan before you have the DS? That way you have a good baseline.

Also, keep all your bloods from preop on. That way you can watch trends and be your own best advocate. (I have them all and it's helped me).

If you PM me your email addy, I can send you the docs. my surgeons and bariatric team distribute to new patients. Might give you some more ideas.

It helps drain Fluid and prevent abcess and infections. Mine was pulled before I went home. I had a really bad abcess once. I'll take a drain any day of the week.

Not sure if it is different for DS but I had RNY bypass and no drains, staples (only glue) and no binder. Protein was tough first few weeks but gets much easier after that.

Hi I had the DS in February and had 2 drains, they removed one before I was discharged and I went home with one. I won't lie for me the drain was the worst thing about the whole procedure. I had it in at home for another 4 days and it was removed when I went for my first post op appointment. My husband emptied it mist of the time because it is quite awkward to get to on your own.

I never had staples. My surgery was done laparoscopically and the small incisions had disolvable sutures. Everything healed very well and once that drip was out I felt like a new person. Actually when you see what drains it is quite a relief that the liquid is not left inside of you.

With regard to the Protein, initially I got the Protein in by having protein shakes and smoothies, made use of Peanut Butter and powdered almonds to up the protein. 8 months down the road and my rule is get the protein in first and if there is space for anything else then go ahead with veggies etc.

When I first saw what Vitamins I had to swallow from the second week I panicked but it was not bad at all. At first I had my medication with warm tea I just couldn't do it with Water. Now it has become like second nature. I take 2 large Calcium tablets, a multi Vitamin, Vitamin D and thyroid meds in the morning, and then at night Iron and my HRT. I also take Vitamin B12 everyday in the form of a spray orally.

Good luck with your surgery and hang in there, when you are feeling down (and you will once you realize how little food you can eat) please know that it gets better and that life will normalise. You get used to your new eating program. Once those kilos stop dropping off it ís worth every pain you nay experience.