Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle pain after surgery?

My first post here, just wanted to see if anyone else's surgeon told them the same thing as me. I had my surgery Friday and I'm still having pain in the bigger incision area. My surgeon today told me that he cut through the muscle in the area and it's still healing. I understand that, but my mom said her muscle was never cut through for her bypass. Anyone else talk to their surgeon about this? I'm just going to assume there are a few techniques on how this is done.

Hey! Sprunger told me the same! He is awesome! So awesome!

And yes the left side big incision was the worst and the pain coming from the area hurt longer than the others.

And as with any surgery, techniques vary.

@@msgal2181

I was on Dilaudid in the hospital then I was on Oxycodone while at home. The pain meds worked well for any discomfort outside of the parts that are healing.

The left incision will hurt even with pain meds. It does get better, it eventually goes away and you just need to be patient with it.

Thanks Ashlegal! He had me on the same meds, it helps a lot. Had an especially rough day today with the pain, probably with all the walking/shopping I did. Going to relax all day tomorrow other than the walking i need to do.

If you had surgery on any of your internal organs, then there was definitely muscle that was cut to get in there. It's just how the body is. It will feel better soon, probably surprisingly so. Take care.

Mine KILLED for 2 weeks and then one day just stopped. It felt like a constant side stitch. Hang in there!

Edited by lili2333

Thanks guys I was on morphine in the hospital but came home with Loratab. I hate the way the make me feel but I have had to take them a few times. It is easing up some and I really think once my drain is removed I will feel better.

After my surgery my biggest incision was sore for weeks. I was never in pain. I went home with Tylenol #3. I took it mostly at night.

I too have had horrible pain from that larger area and today is the 7th day. I do have a drain and understand that once that is removed, I will have less pain. I have a difficult time getting in and out of bed and up from my chairs. Lots of muscles so weak ! I continue to use a heating pad, a pillow close to my tummy helps when coughing. I do take some pain meds when I hurt too.

No problems with strictures, ulcers, nausea, gas, drinking liquids or anything else!

Everyone is truly so different! Happy to have a local support group that meets each month. ????

Getting the drain removed was the end of any pain I had left, especially considering part of my problem is that I'm allergic to the tape they used, so the skin there the tube/staples were was raw, itchy, and painful. But after they took the drain and staples out, I felt great. :D

I had a main left side incision that hurt like holy Hawaii too. I put heat on it and it made it feel lots better!

Any incision usually goes through muscle as your body is muscles around your bones. I had a C-section (I know, not the same) but the pain takes time. I was up and walking a lot after too but it's a healing thing. It gets better. Course when I have my procedure I know I'll be on here saying the same things.

I had the same pain and was told it was the nerves healing. To me it felt like a burning, stabbing pain. I had my surgery on 10/13 and it finally stopped hurting last week. Give it time.

Thanks for the input everyone! Thankfully the pain is gone, just took some time.