Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Hello everyone, I will be getting the Lap Band, but I have some questions about fills, any info ya'll can give me, I would really appreciate. What exactly is a fill, and how long after the surgery should I get one? And does it hurt???? Do they put you to sleep or stick a needle in something???

Thanks for the link. That is some good info because I wondering how do you know if the band it too tight and it answered it.

Am new - am learning a lot - am having lapband in March - am stressing - but that's okay.

thanks for all the info.

gaynel B)

Hello everyone, I will be getting the Lap Band, but I have some questions about fills, any info ya'll can give me, I would really appreciate. What exactly is a fill, and how long after the surgery should I get one? And does it hurt???? Do they put you to sleep or stick a needle in something???

Hi angelajock! There is nothing to having a fill honestly. It only takes a couple of minutes, usually after having an x-ray. I had one last sept. and am having one again in the next 2 weeks. I am way overdue but I was banded abroad and surgeons who will do it are thin on the ground in England, if you've had your band abroad. In Hungary where I was banded, I took longer taking of my clothes than having it done! Don't give it a second thought, I had mine while standing up with my back to a wall and did not feel a thing. All the Best, Anne

I lay on a table, dont even get undressed. She puts a needle in my skin, maybe 2 or 10 times.. its stings alittle, but no big deal. Then I sit up and drink Water and then she takes the needle out.

Its super simple.

I had my first fill yesterday. I laid down on the table and lifted up my shirt, she poked me (little sting like a shot). When she pushed in the Fluid I could definately feel my stomach and esophagus tighten. It didn't hurt, it was just wierd. I sipped the barium and watched it go through in to my stomach. They put on a bandaid and I sat up. Went to the waiting room and sipped Water for 15-20 min. before they let me leave.

I don't feel hungry today. I can still burp. I think I'm good.

I have a 10cc band and I think she put in 1.2 cc's. Maybe 1.5 - I don't remember.

Hi All,

I had surgery on August 9th-

Om my 2nd visit postop, the doctor tried filling 4cc.

I felt like I could not breathe- So he reduced it to to 2cc & I have had that since October - THe weight is coming off- 60 1/2 in 6 months

Now my dilemma- When I saw the doctor this past thursday- I asked for a band fill (I am not getting full any more)- He increased me just 1 extra cc to 3cc-

I have had a weekend of HELL- I can;t eat more than 2 bites & I need to throw up.

I called the doctore & he wants me to wait until this Thursday (3more days ) to see if I get used to it

Has this happened to anyone else?

Pleae advise

hi all i had my band done march the 6 im going to get me first fill april 19 i want to now does it hurt and after the fill do u lose the weight faster ive notice i can eat as much as i once could but i haven't notice a big lose excited about the first fill maybe more wait will came off tired of caring it around (hahahaha)

My first fill was 2cc. The only difference I felt was I had to chew my food better or it felt a little weird going down. My second fill was last week (2 weeks after the first), another 2 cc. I am not as hungry now as I was, and I have to be careful chewing because if not, it really hurts. Sometimes this causes me to lose my appetite, but I guess that's not such a bad thing! LOL!

I didn't have any pain with the fills, just a pinch when the needle goes in. The hardest part is trying to stay in a "crunch" position, either with my shoulders off the table, or by raising my legs. That's hard to do!

Other than that I felt no pain. Good luck!!! :nervous

fill are no problems but I would stick with liquids for a day or two afterwards. I only have 1.2 in mine and going to get another fill soon. I do feel hungery much more and can eat more. I had my surgery Sept.29 and have lost 58 pounds to date. I would like to lose 40 more.

good luck on that 40 more u can do it im want to thank u all this support group helps a lot u all really keep my going and looking forward to the day i can post my before and after pic good luck to u all and thanks a million

can anyone tell me about the actual surgery? Is it local anesthesia or are you completely knocked out. I understand that the actual procedure only takes about 30 minutes and that some people can go home the same day. How do you feel "post op"?

Laural: My procedure was in Dalton,GA in an outpatient surgical center. I was there by 8am I believe and home (hotel) by 3pm. THe surgery took about 30-45min I am told. I took a bit to wake up enough to not need oxygen...have always liked my sleep! :confused: I was hurting honestly....but I was up walking within an hour or so. I took 3 walks, drank a cup of juice then was released to go sleep it off! I was given hydrocodone Syrup for the pain and this helped. Each day got easier and easier. I don't believe I was taking pain meds longer than 4 days....and after the 2nd day or so was slowing down on how much I was taking. I bought OTC liquid Tylenol and was able to take in place of the Hydrocodone quite soon. For gas I used Maalox Max which caused me to have diarrhea but moved the gas!! :) I walked further and further each day....sometimes you gotta push yourself more than others! Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -31lbs :)

My surgery also took about 40 min. It was done in the hospital, I was under general anesthesia, so yes, completely knocked out. As with the last post, you spend a few hours in recovery to wake up, drink something and walk, then usually are released. You just have to have your oxygen level above 90 (is what I was told)

The fills are not really painful. I use the word uncomfortable. The only part that hurt me a tiny bit was when the needle initially goes in, then just some pressure with them trying to find the port. The hardest part for me is if I need to be in a crunch position, or lift my legs. All in all, no big deal. Good luck! :confused: