Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

I have some of the same concerns, bgrand, as you regarding stagnant weight loss and time having gone by. I was not given a fill schedule either, but I recently heard my surgeon telling another patient that if the scale hasn't moved down 2-3 lbs. in 2 weeks and you're following all the rules, you need another fill. There is no set amount per fill and it all depends on how tight it will feel to your doctor when they insert the saline. Without drinking, I can still eat a dinner plate full of salad, so I know I've got to get another fill....and the fact that if I eat a smaller amount, three hours later I'm getting famished. Neither should happen if I'm set up correctly. When the band is at the proper tightness, small meals only should fit and weight should be continually and gradually dropping. It is very frustrating that it doesn't happen quicker, but of course weight loss that is slower is longer lasting and more permanent.

thanks pam ,I will try and get this straightened out next month. I will let you know what happens. I'm sure it's going to be a real lulu

I am glad to see others post about getting disappointed. I love the stories for everyone that everything moved along perfectly, but I know there are people out there that may be wondering what they are doing wrong.

I was banded o4/27/07 and I have lost 50lbs. I look at some stories on here and I am so happy for the ones that have had massive results but then I look at my weight loss and think, What the heck. But, if I am honest, I have not done anything the doc says at 100%.

I have lost quite a few inches but I still feel I should be doing better. I am at 3.7cc in a 4cc band and still think I could use another fill. I think I can eat to much at one sitting. But then I am embarrased to tell the Dr I made another fill, afraid he will say dang fat a@# your almost maxed out. :teeth_smile:

Even with all this said, I still feel this was the best decision I ever made, I feel better than I have in years and I am not giving up hope.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I am glad to see others post about getting disappointed. I love the stories for everyone that everything moved along perfectly, but I know there are people out there that may be wondering what they are doing wrong.

I was banded o4/27/07 and I have lost 50lbs. I look at some stories on here and I am so happy for the ones that have had massive results but then I look at my weight loss and think, What the heck. But, if I am honest, I have not done anything the doc says at 100%.

I have lost quite a few inches but I still feel I should be doing better. I am at 3.7cc in a 4cc band and still think I could use another fill. I think I can eat to much at one sitting. But then I am embarrased to tell the Dr I made another fill, afraid he will say dang fat a@# your almost maxed out. :teeth_smile:

Even with all this said, I still feel this was the best decision I ever made, I feel better than I have in years and I am not giving up hope.

Janell, don't think you're near maxed out. I felt no restriction until I got to where I am now: 4.4cc's in a 4cc band. You need to be aggressive with your fills. I had trouble adhering to the program rules but with the right fill I find that I am now losing. You can see that I am a slow loser. Don't mind-read the doc: he's there to do what you need him to do.

My doctor said that everyones stomach is different. I see people here that take very little fill or some none at all! I know that as I lose more weight I will need even more fill. He told me: don't worry, you won't max out. Hah! I may surprise him, ya?

Valerie

Edited by cQQlgirl

I agree, Janell, that I am also very happy for those who are on the fast track and have lost a lot. For those of us who are making slower progress or are still struggling, the frustration level is high. I was originally told my VG band holds 10 cc's but later found out (months AND months later) that it holds 14. At 7 ccs and eating at least a cup and a half without drinking means another fill is coming for me, hopefully next week. However, I know I need to exercise more and am still having some trouble with the no drinking before/during/after the meals rule. :teeth_smile:

I do feel better than I have in a long time and 35 lbs. is STILL a chunk of fat I've lost (hopefully forever :thumbup:) and want to stay positive, looking to the future for more successes even if they come slowly. My mom is having some of the same issues, so at least we've got each other for support. This site has helped me a great deal because my surgeon is an hour away and I haven't found a way to get to the support groups often.

:lol:

Hi Janell,

Just a note to let you know I have read of others with 4cc bands that have over 4cc's in them. My band is 4cc and I have 2cc's in it at this time. I seem to be pretty restricted most of the time. I might get another fill in a couple of weeks but don't be disappointed if you need more, everyone is different :-)

Sally

I need to know what you do if you are going in for a fill at 1 p.m. should you eat or what?

go ahead and eat because after your fill you will be back on a clear or full liquid diet for 24 -48 hours.

I have lost quite a few inches but I still feel I should be doing better. I am at 3.7cc in a 4cc band and still think I could use another fill. I think I can eat to much at one sitting. But then I am embarrased to tell the Dr I made another fill, afraid he will say dang fat a@# your almost maxed out. :)

im right were u are so dont feel bad! im in a 4cc band im at 4cc the 1st fill was a 3cc then the following week another1cc so im maxed out and there are times i can eat more and there are sometimes i cant get any restriction, some times im feelin a lot of restriction. so your not alone. I have gained lost re-gain re-lost . i made a appt to see the doc on the 5th of aug so i shall see what she says and get back to you maybe we can tag up and see what the heck is our bodys problem..lol hang in there

Janell, don't think you're near maxed out. I felt no restriction until I got to where I am now: 4.4cc's in a 4cc band. You need to be aggressive with your fills. I had trouble adhering to the program rules but with the right fill I find that I am now losing. You can see that I am a slow loser. Don't mind-read the doc: he's there to do what you need him to do.

My doctor said that everyones stomach is different. I see people here that take very little fill or some none at all! I know that as I lose more weight I will need even more fill. He told me: don't worry, you won't max out. Hah! I may surprise him, ya?

Valerie

wow my doctor told me i was max out in a 4cc i think im going ask her to put 0.3cc in just to see what she says..i might be trippin but i think i do need another fill. its not like im at a 4.1 or 4.2 im at a 4cc in a 4cc band hummmmm. its a alergan band is there a difference?

I have never been on a liquid diet after a fill. My doctor says to take it easy and soft foods are a good idea, but he's never suggested a clear or liquid diet after a fill.

I will add that my doctor is very conservative with each fill. He has never given me a lot more restriction that I came in with. And I have been overfilled too. But I've never left his office when I wasn't able to drink 4 oz with no problem. They always give us some herbal tea to make sure we aren't overfilled when we leave.

I had my first one yesterday. I just undid my pants and my surgeon put some cold stuff on me that I think temporarily numbs the port area. He then stuck the needle in which was just a little pinch, and he got it on his first try. I have read that it can take quite a few times as well, so when I asked him how he did that, his answer was, in his very thick Argentinian accent..."because I am Dr. Santiago Horgan". He is hilarious...and good with a needle and knife, thank God! :biggrin: It is seriously easy. Mine took all of 1 minute from start to finish.

I am at a 4 for my fill. I am understanding that it goes up to 10. Anyway, I have only lost 16 lbs since June 3 (my surgery date) What # is everyone else at?

billiedaycare,

you should check back with your doctor if you aren't feeling like you're full. don't let it go to long.

I just went on July 22 I was at a 3 and now at a 4.

:huh2:I've just had my 2nd fill since my original banding in april of this year.I have not gone to any support group meetings or participated in any online forums either-guess I thought I could do it all myself. I DON'T THINK SO! It sure is easy to fall back into old patterns of behavior-no matter how determined I was at the beginning and never mind the horrendous loan I'm paying off. I need support.I cannot do this by myself--I'm so used to being self reliant it is difficult for me to ask for help(I want everybody to think I'm perfect although I'm far from it).I started out great--eating mindfully but now I'm back to eating in front of the tv,eating too fast,too much,too often --any suggestions?