Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to make foods that are sleeve friendly

Hello All,

I am month and half out and I am having trouble preparing hot foods. My current menu consist of eggs, yogurt, tuna... But I would love some hot food. I bought a can of refried Beans but have no idea what to do with them (lol). I heard that some people make turkey chili I would love some but don't know what to add to chili and how much can I have. If anyone has any ideas or recipes I would greatly appreciate. Thank you

Edited by Lara M

I bought a can of refried Beans from Trader Joe's to try this week. I scooped out an ounce and topped with some shredded cheese and added a splash of chicken stock to make it a bit moist and microwaved it for 30 seconds. Then I added a tiny dollop of sour cream. Others have put it in a soft tortilla.

I use the small one oz. medicine cups to scoop. I have a hard time eating 2 oz of this.

It is all trial and error. Look for foods with high Protein per serving like turkey sausage links or veggie bean patties. It helps if the serving is 1 or easy to divide up like 1/4 or 1/2.

If you have a crock pot, you can make it pretty healthy with less sodium than the canned chili at the grocery store.

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/crock-pot-ground-turkey

Edited by thisfathasgot2go

What are your current food restrictions? I'm 8 weeks out, and have no restrictions, except to eat high Protein, and avoid processed carbs. I use Pinterest to find awesome high Protein low carb recipes. If you use Pinterest, feel free to check out my food boards. My username is Ttdish.

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~

This is the turkey chili recipe that I use: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/crock-pot-3-bean-turkey-chili-3125-pts.html

Because it has 3 cans of Beans, it is higher in carbs than some might want. You say you're not allowed any carbs, but you also put that you are supposed to have fruits and veggies, which do indeed have carbs... maybe you mean that you're just not allowed bread, Pasta, rice, etc.? Anyway, if you want to reduce the carbs, you could double the turkey and use only 1 or 2 cans of Beans. I usually throw in a diced up bell pepper also. And top it with some shredded cheese.

At 4 months out, I have 1/2 cup of chili with 2 tb of cheese.< /p>

Yes you are correct I am supposed to stay away from the "bad carbs" fruits are okay as long as they weighed/measured. Thank you!

I used a lot of ground turkey. Add some taco seasoning and it makes tasty taco meat... sprinkle with some cheese and salsa and make a shell-less taco. A spoonful of the taco meat is good on those refried Beans too!

Pinterest had great bariatric recipes and the web site theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com has lots of recipes. She had RNY but the recipes are same for sleevers. Best of luck. Chili is my go to food and I am 7 weeks out!