Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading that a lot of people have pretty minimal pain post RNY, even post revision from band to RNY. My own information from my doctor says that after 3 days, taking Tylenol PRN is usually only what is needed to manage pain. I find this odd and I personally find Tylenol pretty useless. My mom found it odd and she had RNY a few years ago and is an RN who regularly has post op bari patients in her care at work.

To me a revision would probably be more painful just because you are removing the port and the band plus any adhesions. I was told the port removal pain is usually the worst pain post op. Then you have the actual RNY. After my band was placed, I was in a good amount of pain for at least a few days, and still taking my pain medication PRN up to 2 weeks post op.

Am I crazy to think that only having pain for 3 days seems overly optimistic and quite frankly, unrealistic? This isn't even taking into consideration the different pain tolerance levels of each person and what my surgery will actually entail (no adhesions, lots of adhesions, complications that could cause more pain post op). I am not located close to my doctor and I will not have anyone to drive me up there if I run out of medication before my post op appointment. No more calling in refills on controlled medications!!! I'll need the refill on paper in hand. I know I am being a worry wart, but working in the health care field, I just find this a bit odd as do other people I have spoken with who have had surgery.

Thank you for your time and invaluable information on this board and website.

I can only speak from my personal experience and I had the RNY procedure, not a revision. I also have a high tolerance for pain mostly because I have had 5 spinal surgeries and they are pure hell.

Honestly I found that first the first couple of days pain meds helped with initial surgical pain but honestly the real pain mostly came from the gas they pump into your belly for the procedure. Pain meds don't do anything for that at all. They simply don't touch it.

the only thing that worked for me was walking walking walking, sipping Water and a heating pad. The other pain I had was when my bowels were starting up again, that can be very uncomfortable but I honestly found that chewing gas X tablets really helped that situation.

I took liquid Vicodin the 2 days I was in the hospital and the first day at home. After that I moved to liquid Tylenol and honestly the alcohol in that simply did not feel very good so I quit taking pain killers all together on day 2 home from hospital. By the liquid Vicodin was horrible feeling to my tummy too. It honestly made me not want to take it.

It really wasn't that bad but I do know that others really struggled with the pain.

I am 5 days post revision lap to bypass surgery.

I was up, walking and had zero pain in the hospital. But I had an IV so that likely had some pain meds.

I was released after one night :)

I took one Tylenol for the long ride home.

They gave me a prescription for Oxy which I filled "just in case" but I have had zero pain, just a little tightness.

My surgery was laparoscopic and I have 7 little stab wounds (?) with steri strips with little soreness.

I think being on the liquid diet pre op really helped.

It gives a new meaning to the term

No Pain, No Gain.

I wish you the same pain free experience.

I was sent home with liquid Vicodin and ended up refilling it but didn't end up needing the second bottle. I don't remember how long the first bottle lasted, but I'm pretty sure it was more than a couple of days. I am pretty much a wimp about pain and my dr. is of the mindset to now allow you to be in pain. I had a pain pump in the hospital.

I am post up RNY and I had dilaudid for post op day 1 &2, then he filled a prescription for oxycodone for 5 days. Used all pills. Then had to go to the walk-in medical clinic and had to get a prescription for Tramadol which is still a pain killer with Tylenol in it but not as strong. Those were for a few more days.

Then after that I was pain free and only needed a Tylenol once in a while and now never.

Everyone has different pain thresholds. So if you need some more go get it! Don't go with pain when you really don't have to!

Take care and know it gets better in a matter of days :)

Surgery on Mon. 12th, stayed until Wed.(standard for my doc) may have been something in the IV but I didn't push my pain med button at all; they took it out that first night. I was pretty out of it all day Mon. but was up walking by 9 pm. I went back to work on Fri. My issue was nausea, I would open my eyes and my tummy turned. Doc had me take a pain pill half hour before my follow up for drain removal. That's the only one out of the bottle. Wishing you a painless recovery.

Thanks everyone. It has been a pretty painful post op experience, but I do think a lot of it is the gas pains. The pain medication does help. The hospital didn't have me up and walking until 9 hours after my surgery. I think I had inexperienced RN's in regards to bari patients. The pain is getting better. My surgery was a bit long at 4 hours, but I am unsure if he had to deal with a lot of adhesions. I will find out at my post op appointment.

Pain with band placement was tolerable. I think I took liquid vicodin 5 days post op the just Tylenol.

Band and port removal? That was very painful because he also removed the scar tissue as well. I had IV Dilaudid and then percocets up to almost 2 weeks. The port site was very painful and also deeper inside from where he removed the scar tissue.

I am really hoping my revision to RNY on 11/30 will be a breeze compared to band and port removal a few months ago.

Just an update. The doctor did give me another prescription for pain meds. I am very glad for this because I did utilize this. My first prescription only covered meds for a few days, even when taking as ordered, and not more frequently.