Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Success strategies

I thought I would post an update on my situation. Monday my dr.scheduled me to have my balloon out today. I was also given IV fluids. I immediately felt better. He also prescribed me some meds to help my stomach contract so my food won't be stuck in my stomach so long. (I'm having gastroparesis). I feel so much better and we cancelled my balloon removal yesterday. So I still have it.

I can't believe how sick I was and how IV fluids helped soooooo much. I didn't think I was dehydrated.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm off to Hawaii tomorrow. ????????????????

Edited by SLSH

I was able to transition to puréed -soft food and I'm very happy about that! Never thought I'd be excited to eat cottage cheese but it tasted wonderful. So meals have been Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese. Usually full after about 1/4-1/3 cup but it's such a nice change from liquids. The dietitian said the brain fog would fully lift as I got more carbs. Still have some residual blurred vision from the meds- but that should clear up soon. Bonus, don't have to go to the dry cleaner this week. My closet full of "shrinking" clothes ar now fitting again.

That's awesome! I wish I felt full after 1/3 of a cup. Right away I could eat a cup of food. But I try to limit it to that.

Seems like we are all experiencing so many different things. I was and still have never been nauseous. really had no side effects and I'm wondering if they should have filled my balloon up more. It's at 500cc. I'm on day 25 and still have seen only a 4-5 pound drop. They told me I'm the only person to ever feel ok and not lost a lot of weight by now. Not something you want to hear. I'm not happy bc I spent so much money on something I thought would work...eating like 1000-1200 calories a day and still nothing much. They are talking about putting me on weight loss meds too. Ugh

I'm sorry you haven't seen huge loss. I wonder if the Dr would replace your balloon with one more filled up for free. He should.

SLSH, I'm so glad you are feeling better! What meds did he give you?

Thanks! He gave me reglan for my stomach. I take it a few times a day. There was another one for diarrhea but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. I only had to take it one time.

Hi everyone, I had my balloon on Friday, the 29th. First night was pretty bad, really bad headache, lots of vomiting,

I think I was drinking too much and too fast. I have found a good Protein Shake, but can only drink about 3 ounces in 2 hours. I have no hunger at all, but have been pretty nauseous still. I am hoping to go back to work on Monday, but it's just a desk job, so nothing strenuous. I pureed some beef and barley Soup but could only manage 3 teaspoons. That was 2 hours ago and I feel stuffed still. I love reading everyone's experiences, it helps a ton. Good luck everyone!!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I would like to have this procedure done but can't afford it right now. Please keep us posted and I hope it works out for you.

Had a tough weekend...was out celebrating a birthday with friends and tried to eat as I used to, or at least not being as adherent to the "rules" and boy did I pay for it. Really bad stomach cramping and feeling crappy today. It was eye opening how much is "too much" now as opposed to what it used to be. And definitely a struggle for me to differentiate between actual hunger and being hungry out of boredom, stress, etc. looking forward to getting back to the program this week.

It's been 1 month since I got the balloon and still have only seen like a 2-3 pound weight loss. Very disappointing. Not a happy camper at all! I have about 30 pounds to lose and I really thought this would work. I know I'm not eating as much as I use too and it's very discouraging. Going to the doctor this week! Hoping for something

It's been 1 month since I got the balloon and still have only seen like a 2-3 pound weight loss. Very disappointing. Not a happy camper at all! I have about 30 pounds to lose and I really thought this would work. I know I'm not eating as much as I use too and it's very discouraging. Going to the doctor this week! Hoping for something

hope you get some answers or at least get put on a path to find out what's going on. Good luck today!

same here. Down about 4 now, but am starving myself. The good news is, I don't feel starved! The bad news, when I do eat a somewhat normal, although much smaller, meal, I feel SOOOOO sick after. Brutal cramps, like braxton hicks from long ago pregnancies and then gas all night along with acid reflux everytime I roll over in bed. I am so discouraged by this whole thing. I could deal with the negative side effects if I was losing like everybody else. But i am worried about the consequences of 6 months of acid reflux. Will it have any lasting effects on my stomach or esophagus? And for what, 10 pounds, if that? Could use some eating tips from others....I know don't eat after 6pm. And I am better off eating very light at dinner, but that's hard to do on the weekends.

@@jansluv Hi there, I have found that the sooner I have some Protein Shake when I wake up, the better I feel. I drink about 3 ounces, and then I can take my pills. I am on day 4, and am going to try very hard to get my two cans of Protein down by the end of the day to see if that will relieve the stomach cramping. besides Protein Shakes and Water, I have pureed beef vegetable Soup, and just having some flavor has been great. I can only have about 2 ounces though, and that takes me about 30 minutes to get down. Haven't thrown up in 2 days, and have lost 7 pounds. I plan on staying liquids through the first 7 days, seems like the people who do that get a better head start on the weight loss. Hope everyone has a good day!

I have learned that it's just easier to have a smoothie for dinner because it's easier to get down than chewable food and I tend to work out earlier in the day and am not nearly as active after 6pm. I have lost about 16 pounds and had my procedure on 1/7/16. I'm grateful that I am not having very many side affects other than in the mornings I feel pretty yucky until I take my omeprizol and start moving around. I think the keys is to be active after you consume anything. I try to at least and I always feel better later when I do vs when I don't. I have been measuring my food out and avoiding anything with flour in it. This weekend o went to Big Bear with my friends and we made chicken parm Pasta and I just had the chicken and a little sauce the size of the palm of my hand and I was super full after that. If I don't measure my food and eat what I want I always feel sick after.

Good luck everyone!!!

@@Sue Magoo The Orbera balloon feels exactly how you would think, you have a large piece of plastic filled with saline floating around. It sometimes feels jammed up under my ribs, and I just have to move around to get it to move. No hunger at all. You have to make yourself drink the Protein or suffer side effects like headaches. It's day 4 for me, and I think it's getting easier every day. 7 pounds down and about 40 to go.

It's been just over two weeks and I feel myself adjusting and learning more and more each day. I've lost 14 pounds, ten the first week and 4 this last week. I was a little disappointed at week 2 but had to stop and appreciate that 4 pounds in a week is still a significant weight loss and again it's only week two! My biggest challenge is not eating too fast. I'm at my worst coming home from work and starving- but if I have a couple of bites of something and relax for a little bit the hunger goes away. I've found it's really a good idea to keep on the Protein shakes because they do help with the hunger pangs. Only a couple of times have I had any 'indigestion' and that's from eating a little too much at once. I'm planning out all my meals and by doing so I don't make the bad choices I would have made in the past. Plus it's nice to be organized! All in all it hasn't been bad.