Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Success strategies

Just had my balloon in this morning, feel fine so far-just slight cramping and queasiness. I had some minor discomfort when I think I had too much Water too quickly, like it was stuck in my throat, but nothing else. I've been able to tolerate a Protein shake and sugar free Popsicle as well. However, I'm super hungry! Even after the shake. Is this normal?

Congrats! Mine is in 10 days. I was not hungry at all. Still only get a little hungry towards the end of the day. I did feel some odd cramping (not like PMS) the first few days that I felt sort of like hunger. Maybe your confusing it? I find though that even when I eat a real meal that I don't feel "full" until hours later! Last night I had a small piece of fish with a 1/4 cup rice and 3 pieces of shrimp cocktail. Didn't feel full at all. But 4 hours later, I felt miserable, like I overate. So, I think there is an adjustment period when we have to pay close attention to cues our bodies are giving. and then adjust accordingly. Good luck with your first week.

Thanks! I think you're right that I might be confusing some cramping/discomfort with hunger, because I don't feel like I could eat much, I just have that hunger pang.

Be careful. I felt pretty good first night too and ate a small liquid dinner and threw it up 2 hours later. In fact I did that the first two nights. I also made the mistake of having sparkling Water with dinner one night and oh boy, did I pay the price. Brutal gas all night! Too bad, because I love my vodka and tonics! haha

So I've had the balloon in for 16 days now and I haven't seen much change in weight. Maybe 1-3 lbs depending on the day. This is very discouraging. I don't get it. Is anyone one weight loss medicine as well as the balloon? What was everyone's starting weight? Just curious bc I feel like I just paid a **** ton for something that should be working better then this. Ugh

I am on day 13 and have only lost 3 pounds. SO we are in the same boat. Wondering what your doctor said? Mine said I was doing everything right and not to get discouraged (too late).) How was this last week for you? Let's compare notes because I am really frustrated. Eating between 600-1100 calories per day, really healthy and fighting hard to lose just a few pounds. I don't have a thyroid, so hoping this is just my meds needing adjusting.

Hi everyone, hope you are all feeling well. I haven't scheduled my balloon yet, I have a cardiac workup next Tuesday and as long as I am good I will set a date. I don't have any heart conditions but I had a little stroke in Jan 2013 so the doctor wants to make sure. I wanted the gastric sleeve but because of previous open abdominal surgery I am to high risk so have decided on the balloon. I am glad to find this forum and I appreciate you all sharing. I will be following along and learning from you all. Thanks for sharing!!

I had my balloon 'installed' on Tuesday 1/19. Procedure was easy, took the prescribed drugs and pretty much slept through to the next morning. Day 2 was some cramping and nausea but the pills took care of that. I also had an IV at the Dr.'s office. Day 3 was a lot of reflux very uncomfortable. Day 4 felt very listless so spent the day in bed. Thankfully no vomit and while the nausea is bothersome it's manageable. liquids have been Water, broth and Protein Shakes. The next step is transitioning to a purée diet next week- which I'm looking forward to!

I feel like I'm over my stall. I went on a cruise and came home and was down a pound. I'll take it.

19-29 more lbs to go. I have had some stomach pain the past few days but I'm not sure why.

So I'm wondering if any of you who have had their balloons for 6 weeks or longer can tell me if you have had severe diarrhea for a week with nausea and cramping and my stomach is producing soooooo much gas. I've had these sypmtoms now for over a week and it's not getting better. I think I want to get my balloon removed. I got it on Dec 4. Just when I thought I was adjusted (and I stalled on weight loss) I started getting sick. I'm going to my Dr tomorrow for blood work and fluids.

:(

Edited by SLSH

I've had my Ballon for 11 weeks and have been nauseated the whole time but it went away this weekend! Finally!!! I've had the opposite of you too with severe constipation! I guess everyone reacts different!

That's what I was dealing with before this started. Right now that sounds nice. ;) I just wanted to feel normal (but with a smaller stomach capacity) with the balloon in. I don't know how I can continue like this though. We'll see what today brings.

I'm going on a 7 day cruise next month! How did you feel on the cruise? I'm going to ask the Dr. for the patch!

I got this diarrhea thing the night before we got on the boat. I think traveling might have set this thing in motion. I don't get motion sick really so that part was fine. Having this latest stomach thing kept me from eating to much and what I did eat came through me pretty fast. I lost a lb on the cruise.

Seems like we are all experiencing so many different things. I was and still have never been nauseous. really had no side effects and I'm wondering if they should have filled my balloon up more. It's at 500cc. I'm on day 25 and still have seen only a 4-5 pound drop. They told me I'm the only person to ever feel ok and not lost a lot of weight by now. Not something you want to hear. I'm not happy bc I spent so much money on something I thought would work...eating like 1000-1200 calories a day and still nothing much. They are talking about putting me on weight loss meds too. Ugh

Since returning home from my cruise, I've lost 3 more lbs. I should be happy but I didn't want to lose weight by feeling like garbage.I want to feel normal but able to eat less. Today is my daughter's birthday but all I can think about is me. After such a rough night last night I don't know how I can continue with this in.

I know I sound whiny. I just don't know what to do. I leave for Hawaii on Thursday and I'm terrified to go. I don't know what will happen if I go and something goes really wrong.

Seems like we are all experiencing so many different things. I was and still have never been nauseous. really had no side effects and I'm wondering if they should have filled my balloon up more. It's at 500cc. I'm on day 25 and still have seen only a 4-5 pound drop. They told me I'm the only person to ever feel ok and not lost a lot of weight by now. Not something you want to hear. I'm not happy bc I spent so much money on something I thought would work...eating like 1000-1200 calories a day and still nothing much. They are talking about putting me on weight loss meds too. Ugh

I had the procedure last Monday and haven't really had much nausea, but only some minor cramping the first couple of days, so you aren't alone! I'm interested to see what your doc ends up doing because as the days go on I'm not sure if I'm less hungry or just losing weight due to the post-procedure diet.

I will say I worked out yesterday and could really tell that my energy was zapped from having so few calories this past week. A little frustrating, but I think at this point all I can do is follow the plan and hope everything will work itself out.

I was looking for more information and found this helpful link: https://www.muhealth.org/app/files/public/2232/orbera-Surgery-Guidelines.docx

I thought it provided some good information on what to expect and some more dietary information for use after placement.

I was able to transition to puréed -soft food and I'm very happy about that! Never thought I'd be excited to eat cottage cheese but it tasted wonderful. So meals have been Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese. Usually full after about 1/4-1/3 cup but it's such a nice change from liquids. The dietitian said the brain fog would fully lift as I got more carbs. Still have some residual blurred vision from the meds- but that should clear up soon. Bonus, don't have to go to the dry cleaner this week. My closet full of "shrinking" clothes ar now fitting again.