Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Success strategies

So I've had the balloon in for 16 days now and I haven't seen much change in weight. Maybe 1-3 lbs depending on the day. This is very discouraging. I don't get it. Is anyone one weight loss medicine as well as the balloon? What was everyone's starting weight? Just curious bc I feel like I just paid a shit ton for something that should be working better then this. Ugh

Do you feel like you're eating less? Perhaps your ballon wasn't filled all the way and should be filled more? I read the amount can vary depending on stomach size.

I'm curious to see what people think. I'm having the procedure in Monday and would be really frustrated if I saw minimal weight loss too.

So I've had the balloon in for 16 days now and I haven't seen much change in weight. Maybe 1-3 lbs depending on the day. This is very discouraging. I don't get it. Is anyone one weight loss medicine as well as the balloon? What was everyone's starting weight? Just curious bc I feel like I just paid a **** ton for something that should be working better then this. Ugh

So I asked my Dr today how full he filled my balloon and he said 600. He said that was the industry standard in Brazil where they've done balloons for years.

I'm sorry that it isn't working great.

I've lost about 12 pounds since 1/7/16 and just started eating solids today. I was super dehydrated and sick for the first week though but am somewhat back to normal now with some discomfort but no more vomitting and Nausea for the most part

I have stalled for about 12 days. It's super frustrating but after seeing my Dr today he thinks it's probably my weight lifting and exercising. He told me to be patient and keep at it.

I'm going on a cruise next week though so I'm so scared I'll gain.

Edited by SLSH

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Had my balloon inserted January 8. So 8 days out. I have about 50 pounds to lose. My procedure was quick and easy. In and out of surgery center in 2 hours. A little vomit the first and second night. Then brutal acid reflux day 3 and 4 in am. Little to no nausea after the second night, and no reflux the last 5 days. I began eating mushy soft food, like oatmeal and mashed bananas and Protein shakes day 2 and by day 5, I could tolerate real food - salad with grilled chicken, some rice, toast and eggs. Since I started solid food, my only issue has been gas...ALOT of gas! Belching non stop yesterday and my bubbly tummy keep me up most of last night. But its settled down today.

But, I have NOT lost a single pound!!! I am tracking my food and have not eaten more than 1100 calories per day in 8 days. I had very bad Constipation the first week and that is starting to fix itself (read between the lines) and still no weight loss. A typical day, since solid food: 4 oz coffee + oatmeal with whey Protein added, 1 egg plus 1/2 slice whole grain toast dry, greek yogurt, small salad with protein and 1/4 starchy carb as side. Pretty healthy, but not perfect. Drinking about 32 oz Water a day...need to get that up. Anyone else not lose weight the first week or two?

Hi jansluv, You may need to back off the carbs and up your Protein. My nutritionist said no oatmeal, bread or rice in the beginning! Try for 60-80 grams of protein a day. The first week I lost 11 lbs! Just sharing!

So I've had the balloon in for 16 days now and I haven't seen much change in weight. Maybe 1-3 lbs depending on the day. This is very discouraging. I don't get it. Is anyone one weight loss medicine as well as the balloon? What was everyone's starting weight? Just curious bc I feel like I just paid a **** ton for something that should be working better then this. Ugh

Edited by jansluv

Hi jansluv, You may need to back off the carbs and up your Protein. My nutritionist said no oatmeal, bread or rice in the beginning! Try for 60-80 grams of Protein a day. The first week I lost 11 lbs! Just sharing!

I can do that. Just really surprising since they only represent maybe 300 calories of my total for any given day. Thanks for the tip!

Hi jansluv, You may need to back off the carbs and up your protein. My nutritionist said no oatmeal, bread or rice in the beginning! Try for 60-80 grams of protein a day. The first week I lost 11 lbs! Just sharing!

I can do that. Just really surprising since they only represent maybe 300 calories of my total for any given day. Thanks for the tip! I also think, for whatever reason, I am retaining a lot of Water. My rings are tight. Any suggestions on how to get that much protein?

Edited by jansluv

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Had my balloon inserted January 8. So 8 days out. I have about 50 pounds to lose. My procedure was quick and easy. In and out of surgery center in 2 hours. A little vomit the first and second night. Then brutal acid reflux day 3 and 4 in am. Little to no nausea after the second night, and no reflux the last 5 days. I began eating mushy soft food, like oatmeal and mashed bananas and Protein Shakes day 2 and by day 5, I could tolerate real food - salad with grilled chicken, some rice, toast and eggs. Since I started solid food, my only issue has been gas...ALOT of gas! Belching non stop yesterday and my bubbly tummy keep me up most of last night. But its settled down today.

When I start burping a lot, I have to lay down and move my balloon. (I push it over to my left side.) I noticed when that happens to me, it's because it's blocking the outlet to my stomach. Maybe that will help?

Sorry about the weight loss. How full was your balloon filled?

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Had my balloon inserted January 8. So 8 days out. I have about 50 pounds to lose. My procedure was quick and easy. In and out of surgery center in 2 hours. A little vomit the first and second night. Then brutal acid reflux day 3 and 4 in am. Little to no nausea after the second night, and no reflux the last 5 days. I began eating mushy soft food, like oatmeal and mashed bananas and Protein shakes day 2 and by day 5, I could tolerate real food - salad with grilled chicken, some rice, toast and eggs. Since I started solid food, my only issue has been gas...ALOT of gas! Belching non stop yesterday and my bubbly tummy keep me up most of last night. But its settled down today.

When I start burping a lot, I have to lay down and move my balloon. (I push it over to my left side.) I noticed when that happens to me, it's because it's blocking the outlet to my stomach. Maybe that will help?

Sorry about the weight loss. How full was your balloon filled?

Funny that you can push your balloon around! I did lay down and moved around and nothing seemed to help. I guess there is a learning curve as to how much we can eat and what we eat and the impact it has. I have my first follow up with Dr this week and will ask how much he filled it.

I had my procedure on Jan 7th and had a rough first week. I didn't start a full liquid diet until two days ago and have been able to start soft foods today. I started out 194 pounds and am down to 182. I'll let you know how much I lose now that I'm actually eating real food.

Sorry about the lack of weight loss that sucks I'd be pissed too! But I think if you can omit the carbs as much as possible try that. My dietician told me to take advantage of corn tortillas cause they won't stick to the balloon as bad and you can use them as bread. I'I did have a chicken taco on corn tortilla from chipotle today and it was ????

Just had my balloon in this morning, feel fine so far-just slight cramping and queasiness. I had some minor discomfort when I think I had too much Water too quickly, like it was stuck in my throat, but nothing else. I've been able to tolerate a Protein Shake and sugar free Popsicle as well. However, I'm super hungry! Even after the shake. Is this normal?

Just had my balloon in this morning, feel fine so far-just slight cramping and queasiness. I had some minor discomfort when I think I had too much Water too quickly, like it was stuck in my throat, but nothing else. I've been able to tolerate a Protein Shake and sugar free Popsicle as well. However, I'm super hungry! Even after the shake. Is this normal?

Congrats! Mine is in 10 days. I was not hungry at all. Still only get a little hungry towards the end of the day. I did feel some odd cramping (not like PMS) the first few days that I felt sort of like hunger. Maybe your confusing it? I find though that even when I eat a real meal that I don't feel "full" until hours later! Last night I had a small piece of fish with a 1/4 cup rice and 3 pieces of shrimp cocktail. Didn't feel full at all. But 4 hours later, I felt miserable, like I overate. So, I think there is an adjustment period when we have to pay close attention to cues our bodies are giving. and then adjust accordingly. Good luck with your first week.

Just had my balloon in this morning, feel fine so far-just slight cramping and queasiness. I had some minor discomfort when I think I had too much Water too quickly, like it was stuck in my throat, but nothing else. I've been able to tolerate a Protein shake and sugar free Popsicle as well. However, I'm super hungry! Even after the shake. Is this normal?

Congrats! Mine is in 10 days. I was not hungry at all. Still only get a little hungry towards the end of the day. I did feel some odd cramping (not like PMS) the first few days that I felt sort of like hunger. Maybe your confusing it? I find though that even when I eat a real meal that I don't feel "full" until hours later! Last night I had a small piece of fish with a 1/4 cup rice and 3 pieces of shrimp cocktail. Didn't feel full at all. But 4 hours later, I felt miserable, like I overate. So, I think there is an adjustment period when we have to pay close attention to cues our bodies are giving. and then adjust accordingly. Good luck with your first week.

Thanks! I think you're right that I might be confusing some cramping/discomfort with hunger, because I don't feel like I could eat much, I just have that hunger pang.