Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Orbera Success strategies

It's funny that since my procedure 1 week ago , i have so much more time on my hands.Just 3 weeks ago, I was a was a step away from getting the sleeve surgery . I had already had most of the tests and was sitting in the psychs office when he asked me If i had any concerns. And, at that moment It dawned upon me that besides that typical elective surgery fears, I was most fearful of the stomach stretching back as I heard that it was possible. I truly got that there was no 100% sure fire way to prevent myself from gaining it back again. The sleeve was supposedly permanent . And yet, I had been up and down most of life, always praying when I was at goal weight, that I wouldn't gain it back... This time it took 4 years and boom there I was, no longer fitting into my clothes, isolating, planning my next food adventure. I was miserable, numb and although I am quite active in my social and work life, i was all alone. My 2 friends that I was sharing this can be called by their procedure names, "Lap-band" and"Sleeve". Lap-band was a6 year success of 80lbs. She attributed it to monthly check ins and group support. "Sleeve" was new to the game. She wasn't utilizing the support and I noticed a difference. It's not about the perfection of eating. It's the how and why. No one is better at finding"tricks" to eating basically the same, under this new regime than I.

So, here I am , day 8 and i'm going to spend the next 51 weeks learning how to eat. This week I got to watch and live through every moment that I would have previously used food to substitute, comfort, numb, kill time, avoid etc... We are on 2 sides of the same street. I know that without support I will fail. Even if I lose all of the weight on my own, I know the inevitable. I'm going to use the phone, see my Dr , attend support and really be present. Oh, and keep drinking that h20!

Edited by lifeofbry

Hi:

Could you please tell us what it feels like to have the Orbera balloon inside? How did it effect your appetite so far? Any nausea? Is pre-op liquid and postop all liquids for the first XXX period of time?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.

Sue

I don't actually feel anything different since the balloon.. I do get full rather quickly now. I did not have any pre procedure days of liquids or special diet. In regards to nausea, apparently I'm pretty lucky. I experienced it only the evening of first day for about 20 hours. The meds and patch helped. I had it done on a friday and was back at work on Monday. I am on liquids for the the first 2 weeks.

You seem to be doing great , I am on day 6 and not really eating to much at all . Spoonful of yogurt here and there . I could not agree more with you about the planning around food . The past week has been really different from previous Friday night dinner out at our fav Italian restraunt.

Last night I started vomiting and it basically went on throughout the night. My Dr thought perhaps my balloon was lodged somewhere and had me lay on my sides and then do a "downward dog" pose. The nausea stopped. Very interesting.

Soft foods... Well, i'm eating them. And, i'm not really following a plan other than no white flour or added sugar. Plus, I'm not really sure when i'm full. That is, until i feel awful. I'm not eating and drinking at the same time, and I'm chewing slowly. 2 weeks and 1 day in, I'm 17 lbs down. It is interesting that after a stressful work call, i ended up eating a yogurt. I wasn't hungry, and didn't need to eat. I was overtly full for the next 4 hours. Not fun. My favorite soft foods as of this moment are Protein pudding, salmon salad, almond milk yogurt, and hummos. I had some steamed dumplings that were fine until an hour after eating... Not sure if i will revisit and my balloon seemed to get lodged again. The downward dog move seems to work. My understanding is that several people who have had the "reshape" balloon have had to have it removed because of the size, that they get stuck.. Would love to hear any experiences.

Edited by lifeofbry

I started regular type of soft foods also now, I know why you mean about feeling awful . I made what I thought was healthy Chili with no meat with a vegi mix . I was sick for 6 hours . Acid reflux is no joke. Today I had a tuna fish sandwich with a Tomato and that was too much. Vegetables like peas or broccoli , salmon, seem to be ok . I am not really hungry either . coffee is a struggle and I am a caffeine addict, so ice tea has been it. Other than the first 8 days I am getting use to it now. The first week is a bi@th(

It has been 2 weeks for me also and I am down like 19 lbs .

I had my balloon inserted yesterday. I feel terrible. I am sooo sick. I haven't thrown up but I dry heave quite a bit. I hope this goes away soon. If I have another 2 weeks of this I might have to have it come out. I'm trying to drink Water and clear juices but it's hard to get much down.

Hang in there , your Dr should prescribed you something for nausea. Try and drink sips of Water. It gets better...

I do have meds for nausea. It just seems like it wasn't working good. Tonight I feel like it's a little better though. Thanks for the encouragement.

SLSH. .... How we doing today ...

Jeff636-A little better. I'm feeling shaky but I think it's because I haven't had many calories the last few days.

I'm keeping up on my meds and maybe that's helping too.

Anyway, I have hope that it won't be like this for much longer. Last night I was convinced that I would have to take it out.

Thanks for checking on me.

You will be fine ..what else would you be doing this winter right..chill and watch tv.

shakes are from no protien drink a protien shake

It took me 5 hours but I got down an 11 oz Protein drink today. I'll keep trying to drink another one.

So from where you are at, would you do it again? Also what meds are you on at your stage?

I got mine on Dec 8. I was convinced something was wrong with mine. I would drink and it just stayed in my esophagus. To get relief I leaned or layed on my left side. I would then vomit. I was never nauseated. I am not getting a lot of calories in me at this point. I still have episodes of vomiting. Especially if I drink too much!!! I hope everyone's journey goes great!!!

Edited by Joni Gates