Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DRESS syndrome - needing some well wishes please

I have a rare disorder called DRESS syndrome. sadly I am going thru a severe bout of it right now. A medication given to me during surgery might've set it off. :'(

What is DRESS?

It stands for Drug Reaction Eosinophilia and Systemic symptoms syndrome.

it came become severe... to fatal.

It's like an allergy to a medication that just keeps setting it self off in my body with out the medication even being there anymore.

Although this reaction may be to a new one given to me during surgery. I don't know how to find that out though because I am obviously not going to test that theory out.

This disorder is rare and the mortality rate is 10% (180 cases ever reported - 10% of that is 18 people!!!) - Google it if interested...

so I find out today if I have to be either admitted to hospital for high doses of IV Methylprednisolone or have it as an outpatient.

I am so sad because every time I go on these steroids I gain weight. I guess I am going to gain some of the weight I have lost in the last 4 weeks. wahhhhh

I knew that having surgery was a risk of bringing on my DRESS but I was really really really hoping it wasn't going to happen.

Plus steroids slows down the healing which I am still doing!

I didn't want any set backs but I knew that was going to be too good to be true.

I haven't weighed myself since Thursday Oct 15th and there is no way I'll weight myself during this because I am ballooned up and so swollen that I cannot close my fingers into my hands and my face is so swollen that you wouldn't be able to tell if my eyes are open or closed.

My skin is on fire and so hot to touch yet I am shivering cold. I will start shedding my skin soon, gross I know.

One of the reasons I had gastric bypass is because with this syndrome I was trying to get rid of possible comorbidities that go with obesity because I cannot take the medications... and here I am going thru it again and possibly from medications given to me for surgery. Ironic, I think.

I don't regret getting the surgery tho, not one bit! Just have to get over this hurdle now.

Wish me good health and pray for me please!

Heather

Oh! also, any other DRESS peeps out there??

Oh my goodness! I am so sad that you are going through this, I cannot even imagine how you feel.

I am sending prayers for a speedy recovery. Do what ou have to in order to get this flare under control. Your surgery will still be there when you are healthy again.

Please take care of yourself.

Hugs!

I am so sorry to hear this. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the best.

Take care! You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Best of luck, hopefully things will clear up.

I don't regret getting the surgery tho, not one bit! Just have to get over this hurdle now.

You have the right attitude, it's just a hurdle. I can only imagine how tough things are for you atm but just hang in there. Know that you have got people out here sending you positive energy and wishing the best for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Feel better soon! :)

I and hoping and praying for a speedy recovery for you, as well as for surgery to be one of the best decisions you have ever made. This too shall pass, be encouraged.

I cannot even imagine how awful that is for you. My prayers are that your body overcomes this soon so you can start reaping the benefits of weight loss that the surgery provides. Hang in there!

Thank you all!

I'm a little better now. I've had 2 of 4 high doses of IV steroids. (Which sucks because side effects are weight gain and slow healing! - but because it's only 4 doses it might not effect me)

I'm not swollen anymore so that's a good sign. I hope to weigh myself soon and see if I've lost more weight! Or I'd even be happy to not have gained any.

We shall see!

And then onwards to good health and goal!!!!

Edited by heather5565

Best of luck to you and speddy recovery

I hope the IV steroids aren't too hard on you and that you recover from this fast! And then you can get back to your new project - your WLS. Take care.

Thank you!

Things are sorta looking up, yep!

Weighed myself this am (was very scared stepping on that scale!!!)

And down 4.4lb since last weigh in so I'm super stoked for the loss!

Was either expecting a gain or at very least seeing the same # I saw last weigh in.

Now to continue downwards!

2 more treatments left and hopefully a full recovery by mid-late this week!!!!