Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to eat Pizza again?

I am just a little over 2 weeks out and I have been doing well with fighting the cravings, but really sad about the things I did not eat before my surgery. I just want to know, will I ever be able to eat the things I love again, like will I be able to physically digest it? And this question is for people 2 months or more post-surgery. Will I ever get down a slice of pizza again, what about just the toppings, or a piece of fried chicken or fish, or a hamburger including the bun. I am not saying that I want to eat this things on a regular basis, I really have no desire to, but will I ever be able to eat it once in a blue moon?? Personal experiences are very helpful. Thanks.

I'm 4 months out and I can have a 1/4 of a slice. If you try it eat very slowly cut it into small pieces and only put a few on your plate. And trust me don't try it at 2 weeks not even thin crust lol

Try pita pizza!!

Yes! Sometimes it takes a while for some people to ease into certain foods, but yes. I personally never had any issues with any type of food really, so I can eat pretty much anything and always could. I feel completely normal at 14 months out except I get full much faster.

Yes, you can have pizza again.

Today for lunch I had two slices of thin crust supreme pizza.

I'm 14 months post-op, lost 95+ pounds and now maintaining at 140 pounds.

You're going to go through a LOT of changes in the next year or two. When you're newly post-op you'll have to work hard to sip-sip-sip your Water. Over the coming months your stomach will heal and you'll gradually be able to eat more and drink regularly again.

I was told (by @@LipstickLady when I first showed up here) that the first six months post-op were a "honeymoon period" for losing weight more rapidly than later, and (in my case) she was right. However, I'm still losing weight slowly. In my 14th month I lost 2.0 pounds. In my 13th month I lost 0.6 pounds.

I eat an average of 1700 calories/day and am doing great.

Very best to you. And don't assume that someone else's early post-op experience is what lays ahead for you or anyone else 1 year or 2 out. Life gets much more normal.

That's why it's important that you learn and apply as much about good nutrition as possible in the coming months. Eat not just to lose weight but to build a new, healthy lifestyle. Figure out how you can build daily exercise into your life. Move more.

Your long-term success depends on eating and moving like a healthy person. You can't go back to eating pizza every day. But eventually you can have it once a week if you plan for it. :)

Good luck.

I'm nearly 8 months post op sleeve I can eat pretty much anything I want I just can't eat massive amounts like I could before I can eat most of a small burger on a thin bun however it makes me uncomfortable I'm still learning when to stop I feel like oh I can have another bite so I do and a few mins later I'm uncomfortable I can eat most of a small slice of pizza I have found it doesn't taste as good as it used to and I can't eat pepperoni too greasy it doesn't sit well u will have to learn what works or you over time the first few months are going to be different u have to learn to eat slower more carefully don't drink too close to eating or too soon after follow the guidelines you are given as far as what to eat at what stage so u don't hurt yourself it really is an adjustment and takes getting used to but you will go back to being able to eat things u ate before u will have to decide if it worth it or not best of luck

Short answer, yes! Long answer...yes :) I was about 3 months out when I had pizza....everyone is different with tolerance levels, when, what, etc....I am 5 1/2 months out and there is still a few things that are iffy for me....some rices (depends on spices...but in general Rosarita (my new tummy) has loved spicy from the beginning even though we are not supposed to eat spicy foods) and just in the last 2 weeks I have been able to eat apples again! YAY!

Just give your tummy time to heal and as my NUT said, the "timeline" or diet they gave us here is a basic guideline to make sure you don't eff up your new tummy and such....there will be internal swelling past what looks healed on the outside...but you kind of have to "trust your gut" with what you want to try and stuff....and with new things....take a small bite at first and wait at least 5-10 minutes to make sure it won't come back up....yeah, yuck!

Welcome to the other side! Good Luck!

Val

oh, another thing I have found so far is that it depends on he kind of food as to how much makes me full quicker...and it is not always what you think.....I can eat a whole piece of pizza one day and feel fine...then the next night a small slice of meatloaf and some taters I get super full after like 3 bites...so far it's not making sense, but I will crack that code! LOL

My surgeon says no bread, no crackers, no Pasta for six months minimum. It makes a Gummy ball in your stomach and he's had to go in and retrieve a gummy ball of ravioli.

Not wanting to have to undergo another surgery, I'm planning on waiting past the 6 month mark.

Before surgery I would routinely order a large pizza and eat the whole thing for dinner. Post surgery I can't tolerate more than a couple of bites of one slice and I'm not quite 6 months out! The good news is that I no longer crave pizza. So I'm assuming that the longer you go without it the less you want it.

I still eat pizza from time to time (14 months post-op), but it definitely doesn't satisfy me the way it used to. It used to be my absolute favorite food. I would have eaten it multiple times a day if I could (and often did). It was one of the first things I tried once I was allowed solid foods. And while I was able to eat about a slice and a half (small frozen pizza), it was very disappointing to not be able to eat more. It turns out that a lot of the "joy" of eating pizza for me was not just the taste, but the volume. Once I couldn't binge on an entire pizza, it was much less satisfying. It took a long time for my brain to catch onto this. I still craved the SATISFACTION of pizza even though I no longer actually craved the pizza itself. I'd say I really turned a corner on it around the 4 month mark or so.

Now I will eat a little pizza the same way I will eat a little of anything else, but it's not the same experience it used to be. And while that might be a little "sad", it pales in comparison to all of the great benefits I've had from my surgery and now that I'm at goal and maintaining.