Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hear a lot of people talking about Protein Bars. I have looked at a lot of them and found the fat and sugar content of them to be a bit scary to say the least. Are there any Protein Bars out there that are actually good and good for us slevers?

Edited by Waler

I don't like a lot of the Protein bars because they are so heavy. It gets old chewing on those darn things. One that i have found that I can tolerate is the PowerCrunch bars. They are light and pretty yummy as far as Protein bars go. They have wafers in them - kind of like an old school nutty buddy does. The mint one is almost like eating a thin mint cookie. One Bar of the chocolate mint has 205 calories, 10 grams of carbs, 13 grams of fat, 5 grams of sugar and 13 grams of protein. They are a great Meal Replacement when you are out and on the go.

I tend to like Quest bars - but not all the flavors... Also if you leave them in a warm car or in front of a heating vent so they can get soft and warm (for some reason microwave is not the same) they're lovely. Other than that some people like the premier Protein bars but I haven't been a fan of those... basically there are tons of bars out there (including a higher Protein granola bar with Peanut Butter and chocolate) that you can chose from. There are even things like Epic Bars which are protein bars made of meat fruit and nuts... Then of course there is just straight Jerky... The options are really fairly expansive and I recommend just trying several and finding something that works for you.

I guess I have not really looked into them because all of the ones I looked at seem loaded with fat and sugar. or am I just being obsessive?

Edited by Waler

None of the ones I listed are high in fat and sugar. Plus, Quest bars are high in Fiber which will help gallbladder health while you're losing weight which can be really important. I did try a builders bar and frankly it tastes better than any of the ones I mentioned but it also made me queasy for just those reasons - fat and sugar. There are tons of lower fat and sugar Protein bars out there. I promise :)

I was a big fan of Quest Bars, but they recently changed one of their main ingredients and they DO NOT agree with me anymore. So I started eating Combat Crunch (still uses the old main ingredient of Quest Bars) and they are good. They are VERY sweet and candy-bar like, which is a little too much for me sometimes. They have 7g of fat and 5g of sugar. Not sure if that's too much for you or what your targets are.

That's good to know! I don't know what they changed but while I can still eat them they do taste different and not in a good way. I'll have to try Combat Crunch.

My NUT recommends Quest bars (though that was before ingredient change I suppose). Lots of folks recommend these in that you get the best blend of nutrients. I like the chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and the Double chocolate Chunk. My NUT also recommends OH Yeah Victory bars though I haven't tried those yet.

I bought the Premier Protein ones and they are quite good but very high calorie, so I don't eat them very often or at least only eat them in 1/2 bar at a time when I do.

PS - I just checked out the new BariatricPal Store - http://Store.Bariatricpal.com - They have some great Protein bar options. Take a look. (I haven't bought any yet but looks like some great choices.)

My NUT recommends Quest bars (though that was before ingredient change I suppose).

The ingredient change shouldn't have any real effect on the nutritional value of the bars. It's just that some people (like me) have issues digesting it. My flatulence was so bad that I was almost ready to schedule a doctor's appointment thinking there was something legitimately wrong with me. Luckily someone mentioned the ingredient change to me and sure enough, my current batch of bars had the new ingredient (soluble corn fiber). As soon as I switched to a bar that used the old ingredient (isomalto-oligosaccharide), my flatulence went away.

Not everyone that eats the new bars has this problem. Just like anything else, some people are more sensitive to it than others. I'm pretty disappointed that I am so adversely affected by it, because I really really really loved Quest Bars! While I am okay with the switch to Combat Crunch, they are a little overly sweet for me sometimes and they are almost 50% more expensive.

None of the ones I listed are high in fat and sugar. Plus, Quest bars are high in Fiber which will help gallbladder health while you're losing weight which can be really important. I did try a builders bar and frankly it tastes better than any of the ones I mentioned but it also made me queasy for just those reasons - fat and sugar. There are tons of lower fat and sugar Protein bars out there. I promise :)

I found out about Quest bars a few years ago when I was on a hardcore weight lifting kick after losing 120 pounds. They were awesome and provided a great Protein boost after a hard lifting session.

I didn't know about the ingredient changes nor have I tried them since.

This was pulled off their webpage from a random bar's nutrient label:

2XB5Teu.png

I LOVE Quest Protein bars (pic #1 - my stash) but the fat and sugar content don't really concern me since I can only eat 1/2 a bar at a time because they are so filling. It's a great way to get your Fiber in with all the Protein in our diets. The cinnamon roll (pic #2) is really good heated in the microwave for 20 seconds & then sprinkled with a lil Splenda for Breakfast - Yum! My other faves to heat and make Cookies out of are chocolate brownie, chocolate chip cookie dough (pic #3) and chocolate Peanut Butter. Grab and go faves are vanilla almond crunch and Peanut Butter supreme and strawberry cheesecake. The new pumpkin pie totally grossed me out and I love pumpkin. It's the first "coated" bar they came out with and as far as I'm concerned they can take it back!

post-236324-0-30206200-1445473385_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-88192600-1445473404_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-22402100-1445473426_thumb.jpg

@@JamieLogical - I just checked ingredients on my latest box of Quest bars and sure enough it does have the soluble corn fiber. The last week or so , I have been getting terrible indigestion (bubbling and gurgling in .y stomachs and bad enough sometimes I feel nauseous). I intentionally skipped the bar this morning to see how I felt and I felt fine. Just had the bar as a snack and my stomach started bubbling. (Luckily a gas-X will generally stop it). Maybe it's just coincidence but I'm betting not. I am going to go a few dYe without and then try the bar again and see what happens. I really hope it's not the Quest bars but now I am thinking it is!

@@Daisee68 So sorry to hear that! Many people seem to have no issues with the new ingredient. I guess we are two of the unlucky ones.