Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is on your Trader Joe's Shopping List?

Following. There is a relatively new TJ close to my home and I have always been once. I was a bit confused about it and didn't buy anything. Will try again in two weeks with a list!

I adore the Spicy Asian Peanut Dressing, the champagne-pear-gorgonzola dressing and the no-tomato corn salsa, which is good enough to eat from the jar. The sweet & spicy pecan halves were born to be broken into salad of baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onion and leftover salmon filet -- with the peanut dressing. The pumpernickel pretzels have charms, but you have to overlook the illustration of the leering molester. I'm sad that Quick eggs has been out for months and no one knows when it will be back (bird flu is the cause, as I was told). The up side is that I've been buying whole eggs: eggs are a reason to live, so fie on cholesterol.

There are many other TJ items that I buy, but what I like most is that TJ has a civilizing effect on me. If you live in Manhattan, you know that what we call supermarkets are generally sad affairs. The old-school stores are staffed by folks who'd rather be elsewhere. They scowl or, on a good day, appear affectless. Few think of responding to questions with more than two syllables and a grunt. This is not to say that none are pleasant, but they are outnumbered. Customers often seem bent on running you down with their carts. Again, not all, but too many for comfort.

From the first time I visited TJ, I felt as though I was away from New York. The staff is genuinely friendly, conversational and attentive. You know that. When you're accustomed to old-school NYC food stores,* TJ is eternal Spring. I make friends because I'm relaxed and open. One time when the checkout lines were so long that they wound up and down the aisles, I had to trace my way along a line to find its end. As I walked along, I said to every 5th or 6th person, "I'm so glad to see you;" "I'm happy you were able to make it today;" and so on. The warmth and laughter I received in return made the wait briefer for all of us. Another time it was near impossible to wheel our carts in one of the aisles. A woman made eye contact and grumbled something about the crowding. When I told her that "It isn't bad because everyone is so friendly," her face relaxed. Another woman who'd overheard complimented my "wonderful attitude." Me? A wonderful attitude? Uh-huh.

* If you're unfamiliar with Manhattan supermarkets and your own stores have huge parking lots and maybe beanbag chairs for sale, you'd say that our stores are medium-sized. The space doesn't exist here; this is an island and property values are astrohigh. Your football-field markets carry 12 brands of everything in five sizes each item. Our stores carry two brands in two sizes each item, but nowhere near a mfr's full product line. That's why, when I visit friends out there, I clamor to go the supermarket with them. Send me on my own and I'm Alice in the Wonderland Toy-and-Penny-Candy-Store.

P.S. It is my own opinion that TJ quality isn't great overall. We're not talking top quality produce and we are talking tons of frozen products, a category I ignore. What makes TJ are many of the private-label products and the atmosphere. Even the monthly bulletin, "Fearless Flyer," always playfully written, can be a charmer. The October issue describes the many seasonal pumpkin products, so many that they elicit some mockery. How can I not be cuckoo for the copywriter who described one as "pumpkified?"

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

The quality on the produce can really vary. Like the lemons in the bag are crap, but they are cheap so I keep buying them, lol. Sometimes I make lemon Water with them but mostly they just sit a bowl so I can pretend to be a grown up.

The main reason I love TJ's is because of the small sizes of everything, they are perfect for a single person or a couple. I can buy things and not be saddled down with them for weeks or months.

Love the Mahi Mahi burgers and the pollo asado.

I just discovered the Uncured Turkey Hot Dogs. They are the first hotdogs I have seen with decent macros. 2 of them are about the calorie and Protein equal to steak. Most hot dogs are high in calories and low in Protein.< /p>

These also have the benefit of tasting good. They plump nicely on the grill.

Broccoli cole slaw is also a nice choice at TJ. It is just dry greens. I added Walden Farms calorie free cole claw salad dressing. Perfect cole slaw, about 14 caloies for a bari serving, 25 calories for a normal serving.

I'm thinking about making my own cold brew at home. It would definitely have a higher quality coffee taste. I just have to decide on a cold brewer.

I love Whole Foods in Lincoln Park in Chicago. The Whole Foods in St Louis sucks.

@@BestDayEver I haven't seen the Tzatziki sauce, I will look for it next time.

Just bought one of these from Bed Bath and Beyond -- so easy to use. I add about 1/4 cup with Premier Caramel Protein Drink and two pumps of no sugar vanilla Syrup and a squirt of Hershey's no sugar chocolate syrup. Add ice and blend. That's my go-to every morning. 165 calories. 30g Protein.

I tend to buy the Fage 0% Greek yogurt there because it's cheaper there than the other grocery chains. Also the Quest bars are about fifty cents cheaper there than any other brick and mortar store, though I tend to order them in bulk from Amazon.

Some of my Trader Joe's favorites are:

- I'm a fan of almost all of their coffee. Their low-acid French Roast was lovely when I was easing back into drinking coffee post-op.

- Burrata

- Mozzarella

- Trader Joe's brand of plain Greek yogurt. It is low carbs and high in Protein.

- Their brand of unsweetened, plain kefir

- Misto allo griglia (grilled eggplant, red peppers, and zucchini)

- Frozen nectarines

- Frozen sweet potatoes (Far lower in carb than you might think. I make smoothies with them using milk, ice, and cinnamon)

- Frozen turkey burgers

- Almond butter

- chicken sausage

- Mango bar bites (10 grams of carbs for one, and quenches the craving for sweets)

- Mango macarons (15 grams of carbs for three, but I'll usually just have one at a time)

I also love their non-food products, like their cards, mango honey shaving cream, lavender body scrub, and mango tangerine candle.

I tend to buy the Fage 0% Greek yogurt there because it's cheaper there than the other grocery chains. Also the Quest bars are about fifty cents cheaper there than any other brick and mortar store, though I tend to order them in bulk from Amazon.< /p>

I can get both at costco for even less than TJs. My Costco has Quest bars for $19.99 a box.

I tend to buy the Fage 0% Greek yogurt there because it's cheaper there than the other grocery chains. Also the Quest bars are about fifty cents cheaper there than any other brick and mortar store, though I tend to order them in bulk from Amazon.

I can get both at Costco for even less than TJs. My Costco has Quest bars for $19.99 a box.

I tend to buy the Fage 0% Greek yogurt there because it's cheaper there than the other grocery chains. Also the Quest bars are about fifty cents cheaper there than any other brick and mortar store, though I tend to order them in bulk from Amazon.< /p>

I can get both at costco for even less than TJs. My Costco has Quest bars for $19.99 a box.

@@erp that's impressive! I didn't know they were that cheap at costco. I don't have a membership though.

@@OKCPirate

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I had no idea about the ice coffee concentrate - I have a trader Joe's between my office and home so when i was walking home on the 4th of July I stopped in and picked it up.

I decided to WFH today and just made one! So delicious! I mixed it in a martini shaker with ice and 1/2 Water and 1/2 fairlife and a suirt of liquid splenda.

I am forever in your debt for opening my eyes!

Well, I have to admit I'm mostly up to no good when I go to TJs, which is too often by the way. Thanks for sharing this do I could be reminded what I should be doing :-)

Adding Jicama sticks to the regular list

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2803

I think they would be good for people that like crunch. However, I used them as a potato substitute.

I used this recipe https://ketodiet.me/recipe/seasoned-jicama-fries/

I used duck fat instead of lard and I just used Cajun seasoning instead of all the spices they list. I did soak them in the boiling Water. I think you could spray them with olive oil and just bake them in the oven. I might try that next time.

Also adding Grilled Cauliflower

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2385

I have a recipe with grilled cauliflower and chicken sausage I am going to try this weekend. I will post and let you guys know how it works.