Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Alcohol Drinkers ONLY!

i think I had my first drink about 3 to 4 mos after my surgery. At first I couldn't finish one LIT so now I switched to shots lol. my logic is that it's doesn't run the risk of my getting too much sugar and dumping. My tolerance was kinda off but now I'm back to normal ( I can tolerate a lot). as for being afraid that I will become addicted.. I could see that being a problem since you don't have your old ways of handling things. I just work out :)

I dig that logic. Works for me also.

8 weeks- half a shot of tequila

Nope

Nope

No, but drinking is different now. I can see how it could be a slippery slope. Drunk faster, sober almost suddenly.

I am 2-1/2 weeks after surgery and have had 5 shots of tequila and not felling buzzed or drunk , what the *%#~

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know what the problem is.

You're an idiot.

Oh, wait!

I probably have violated the terms of this message board by calling you an idiot.

I shouldn't have done that.

I apologize.

Oh, wait!

I probably have violated the terms of this message board by calling you an idiot.

I shouldn't have done that.

I apologize.

I find that insulting a person never helps them to learn from their mistakes. Good for you for apologizing for that error.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I just want to share my personal AL knowledge and experiences. Please, hear all of my message.

I had my VSG on 11/30/15. My surgeon specifically made me promise never to drink again. Well, except champagne toast at my upcoming wedding.

Both of my parents and my younger sister had the gastric bypass almost 15 years ago. My dad rarely drank before, but is now an alcoholic (struggling with recovery). My sister first had prescription pain medication addiction. Once she got that addiction under control, she began drinking. She is currently in an alcohol recovery program.

Of course everyone is different. Not everyone that drinks becomes an alcoholic, but statistics DO show an increased risk post weight loss surgeries.

I guess I just don't understand choosing such a drastic procedure to improve quality of life, then knowingly possibly choosing a life of addiction.

Your not completely wrong with you first judgement, before I had VSG, I drank beer and tequila 5 nights a week, I have been very good staying away from it till yesterday, I know not to drink beer and thought, to get rid of my tension I would have 1 or 2 shots, thing is I thought from all that unread I would have had a very nice buzz, but did not, only paid for it this morning, massive headache . I agree, alcohol is as bad as the worst drug out there. I have learned my lesson, no more being an idiot

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was so wrong. You're not an idiot!

:)

3 weeks

I'm a wine drinker 99% of the time

Very rarely, like once a year I might have a cocktail

Since surgery I have had 1 glass of wine 4oz

No issues, didn't feel tipsy or anything after

No weight gain

No addiction issues

Edited by Nurse_Lenora

1. How long did you go before having your first drink?

Probably about 3 months

2. Have you had any MEDICAL complications with your surgery that were attributed to drinking alcohol?

No

3. Have you gained back significant weight from drinking alcohol?

No. But if I've drank, I do retain Water the next day. Have to drink lots more Water to flush it out

4. Have you developed an alcohol addiction post VSG after having been able to control your drinking before?

No, though you only know you. I know a lot of people do develop transfer addictions to replace the food. It's something to think about.

What types of drinks do you drink ?

I tried captain morgan and pineapple juice but I think WAY too much sugar,

Ideas?

I like Captain and Diet (Captain Morgan's in Diet Coke). I usually make it a double and sip on it. The Captain in the soda usually makes the Coke not fizzy. I also like whipped cream vodka in Diet Root Beer.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

Still kind of nervous to try my luck with shots, but if someone else who answers has any advice, I'd love to hear that too.

I had zero trouble with Fireball shots. I had two in a short course of time with no ill effects. Tried the same with two tequila shots about four or five months later, and they came straight back up, along with what seemed like everything I ate for a solid month. Now I can't even handle slowly sipping a margarita because of the trauma of that experience.

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

I waited about a month after surgery. No complications. I used to drink beer too fizzy except for Guinness, I stick with bourbon I usually make manhattans or vodka with a splash of pineapple. I can have about 3 drinks before I'm blitzed. I drink twice a week.