Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for Alcohol Drinkers ONLY!

Six weeks I had literally a sip of wine and got a bit tipsy from it. Then waited till six months out.

No

No and

No

I do get drunk more quickly but it clears quickly as well. I don't drink beer anymore sadly because the carbonation hurts. I drink less just because I feel the effects and back off

Okay, I am 7 weeks out and down 62 lbs. My friends don't know I had VSG and can't understand why I eat so little. I'm already thinner than most of them.

Although, I knew my eating would be restricted, I never imagined it would be this much. Yesterday, I was "full" after 3 ounces of thin chili.

There is no way I could eat more than 1000 calories a day. I was dropping 3-5 pounds a week in pre-opt eating 1700 calories a day.

I have social events this weekend and I'm considering a little vodka in my V-8 or a glass of wine.

Why not?

Ok, I myself am two weeks from being sleeved, so this is secondhand knowledge.

One of the gals in my support group is 4 weeks out and she was just telling us how she drinks 1 beer at bowling and a glass of wine after work on occasion. My first instinct was, is she nuts? However, she is a well educated, successful woman who has had great success with her sleeve, so who am I to judge?

My doctor and physiologist said they recommend waiting a year to reintroduce alcohol, simply because they want you to reach goal and too many times, we waste calories on drinks. Also, you metabolize alcohol differently after surgery. I am a revision so I do know this from having the lap band. I would be drinking a glass of wine, it went down fine, so I had another and BAM!!! I was hammered, and throwing up... Not good!!

I will probably get backlash, and I am NO expert, but I think if you can handle it, use in moderation, and are getting your Water and Protein first, then have a drink:) cheers????

Thanks Danny,

I like real stories. I have always restricted my alcohol intake and limited how many I have in any given week.

My initial concern was damaging my sleeve, but I'm okayed for ibuprofen, so why not a weak Bloody Mary?

After that, stalling my weight loss came second, but at this point, the sleeve won't let me eat enough to get close to the calories I'm burning.

I still probably won't, but the fact that everyone says something different is bugging me!

I waited 3 months

No complications

I am a social drinker, I drink fruity cocktails or vodka with orange juice no major issues ... I do feel I get drunk faster and sober faster if that makes sense .. If I've eaten and drink it doesn't affect me if I haven't eaten then I feel it ... I can't drink the way I used too but if I space it out I can get in quite a few no issues

My surgeon has the same advice. I was was an avid wine/beer drinker pre- surgery (especially around the holidays).

I am only 4 weks out, so no alcohol yet, but man do I look forward to a glass of wine someday lol

I have family members with a sleeve and RNY and they both drink post-op. Aside from not drinking as much to getting drunk much faster they have had no other "complications"

Darn hit enter too soon and cannot edit on mobile. I was also going to add that for myself personally I am trying to hold off on drinking as long as possible. Right now at 4 weeks post op I am still dealing with head hunger and feeling like I still want to emotional eat. I am an ex smoker and now working on becomming an ex food addict. I do not want to fill the voids with alcohol, so for myself, I am choosing to hold off on alcohol until I can get my mental game to a much better place. :)

1. How long did you go before having your first drink?

4 months

2. Have you had any MEDICAL complications with your surgery that were attributed to drinking alcohol?

No....but if I drink too much or several days in a row I get a bit of heartburn/gastritis. Same thing happens with coffee.

3. Have you gained back significant weight from drinking alcohol?

No

4. Have you developed an alcohol addiction post VSG after having been able to control your drinking before?

No. In fact I control my drinking MUCH better than before surgery. I WAS an alcoholic...drank every single day and got plastered every weekend. Now I might have a drink 2-3 times/month.

So, I did experiment a little last night. I had a 10 ounce diet cranberry juice and added a half an ounce of vodka.

Didn't do much for me. I did feel light headed after a few sips, but never really got the old buzz I enjoyed. I only drank half of it and put it down.

I suspect it may have been a function of eating and drinking (very little) at the same time and the fact that I'm not a big fan of diet cran!

Next test will be red wine over Thanksgiving...

I had a toast (just a sip of champagne) 2 months after surgery. About 3 months out, I started having a glass of wine every now and then. It's never had any adverse affects on me at all, I didn't get "tipsy" as quickly as some, it was pretty much like it was before surgery. I may have 1 glass of wine a couple of times a month............ so no weight gain because of it, no problems at all

How would vodka, tequila, or rum affect somebody three to four months out? I have been at bars in the last month but I have yet to muster the courage to pull the trigger and have that first drink. Any thoughts?

I'm also in the 3 months, no, no, no category.

I will say, in weeks where I have a few drinks my weight loss is slower, which is frustrating. Also, I get tipsier faster, so my biggest change in drinking habits from before surgery to now is that I cannot drink as much as I used to (I'm also 100 pounds lighter, so that may play a part in that).

How would vodka, tequila, or rum affect somebody three to four months out? I have been at bars in the last month but I have yet to muster the courage to pull the trigger and have that first drink. Any thoughts?

You won't know till you try. I drink vodka cocktails and rum cocktails, but whiskey is my drink of choice. Alcohol does not affect me any different than before surgery....I can still outdrink a football team. But I rarely drink anymore because all those calories are just not worth the teeny buzz I get. So many people talk about how alcohol affects them so strong postop and I was really looking forward to being a lightweight. Bummer for me.

I would, however, recommend testing the waters in the safety of your own home. If your sleeve does reject the alcohol or you do get sloppy drunk, you may not want to be in a public venue when it happens!

I plan to have my first drink on New Years. I will be 6.5 months post op at that time. I am a wine drinker. I have not had any yet simply because I don't want the extra sugar. I plan to enjoy wine at a friends house when I have it for the first time since surgery. I am taking the extra precaution since I don't know how my body will react.

I waited about 10 weeks and only could manage about 1/2 glass which made my sleeve unhappy (not quite nauseous but similar). Of course I got no buzz. My doc said to have NO alcohol for one year, and I am going to TRY to pretty much stick to it. Again I will likely have my requisite half glass with Turkey. I would really stay away from beer bc I would not want the carbonation to stretch my sleeve. I used to drink about two drinks per evening on weekdays and much more on weekends.