Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planet Fitness?

I'm wanting to join a gym to do some strength training. Looking to continue to lose weight but hopefully keep some muscle mass and tone up. I have cardio equipment at my house. I would only be going for about 3 days a week since I do cardio at home so that's why Planet's cheap rates are appealing. Is it really judgement free? I would like a gym that has more people looking to lose weight than people bodybuilding. I've lost 50 pounds already but I still weigh 420 pounds. Am I even going to be able to fit in the machines? I would hate to buy a membership and I can't even use any of the machines.

Go to the gym, and ask for a tour and try the machines. I have a membership at one, I m in CA. I do not go regularly because I have a trainer at a small gym so I use their equipment. You can get a one day free pass on line, good luck

I would like to know the answers to these questions as well. I'm down almost a hundred pounds since the beginning of all this, and 40 since surgery, but I've still got a substantial amount of junk in the trunk and I fear judgement and not fitting into the machines as well. D:

Yes there will be plenty of machines you can use and eventually you will fit in them all. One secret I have found out about the gym is really no one cares. If you don't allow yourself to feel self conscious, you'll be fine.

I'm not overly concerned about being self conscious. I'm more worried of fitting in the machines.

@@sgc You'll fit.

I may have to give Planet a try. It's the most conveniently located. LA Fitness is close by but I don't need all the extras. Plus I don't think many 400 pound people would go to LA Fitness. I also didn't see a one day pass on their web site? Not sure I want to commit for 12 months yet and I don't like this gym.

I love planet fitness. It is Judgement free. I've seen everything from bodybuilder to bodies the size of buildings in the gym. It's really a great value for the price and the fact that most are 24/7 virtually eliminates the gym was closed excuse. I used to work a split shift and go lift a 3am. Even at that hour there were ta few members working out. I say go visit, get the free tour, and stop and try various machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Planet Fitness have a pool? I love Water aerobics

I'm assuming for this free tour I just pop in? I've been looking online but I may just go there. The one near me is offering $15 a month with no commitment. I wonder if I could do that for a month and then switch to $10 a month on a commitment?

No pool. Just great cardio and basic anaerobic (weights) equipment.

Sgc: I'd just pop in and definitely see a manager. Explain what your looking for, do the tour, and ask if you could do the rest of this month free. They gave my wife a couple weeks free to try it out.

I love planet fitness. It is Judgement free. I've seen everything from bodybuilder to bodies the size of buildings in the gym. It's really a great value for the price and the fact that most are 24/7 virtually eliminates the gym was closed excuse. I used to work a split shift and go lift a 3am. Even at that hour there were ta few members working out. I say go visit, get the free tour, and stop and try various machines.

Well said.

Give it a shot, OP.

You'll fit on the gear and you'll find that everyone is there to do their own thing. The serious gym dwellers aren't there for conversation and chatting.

Stick and move.

Make sure you wipe down the equipment after using it. Do not camp out on equipment between sets while resting. This will draw the wrath more than anything else you could do. It is maddening to need some gear and someone is camping out on it.

You show up and work hard and you'll held in high regard, I assure you. The people at the gym have a common bond between all active members vs those that don't go. You will be respected.

They also are likely to have much nicer gear than we would have at home. You can't beat the bargain.

Once you get rolling along you'll be so glad that you did and feel silly for delaying for any reason. With the low carb-low calorie diet that most of us stick to.....combined with some treadmill walking or elliptical machine time 3-5 times a week and you'll see weight fall off. The machines are all you really want to use for weights.....and no more than 3 times a week. The range of motion is built into the weight machines and will offer a degree of safety vs jumping in with free weights.

I may have to give Planet a try. It's the most conveniently located. LA Fitness is close by but I don't need all the extras. Plus I don't think many 400 pound people would go to LA Fitness. I also didn't see a one day pass on their web site? Not sure I want to commit for 12 months yet and I don't like this gym.

I have a membership at LAFitness. It's not a contract. I can cancel when I want.

Edited by justme29

I HATE planet fitness. Sorry to be so blunt. They have days where they order in loads of pizza and have it set up by the front door. They also have ice cream socials. Don't risk going there and possibly falling into temptation. So many other great gyms out there that are not such a high cost. Also, look into your local YMCA. Some base their memberships by your income.