Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Halloween ????

I was doing so good ignoring all the candy in all the stores. THEN my loving husband went and bought 3 big bags of it at SAM's. ???? I hate to say it but I caved this evening and had a piece.???? If I can't control it, my hubby is losing and the candy goes out of the house Monday. ????

Halloween isn't a fun holiday anymore. Sort of dreading the next rounds of holidays. ????

You are doing so great!

I went through a period of time when I lived alone while losing weight. Some things, like candy, were alot easier!

once again, my grown sons are now my roommates. It is hard sometimes because they bring home ice cream, candy, bread, Cereal and other temptations. They are pretty good about hiding candy in their rooms - they know I don't want to eat it, but if it is in front of me..I might.

Ice cream makes me sick to my stomach, but, who knows, I still might eat it. They are good about buying very small portions so i don't have that dang 1/2 gallon calling my name for like a month. I can resist for a week... but those larger containers sit there and I see them so many times ... I might just crack and dig in.

The older kid brought home two huge huge containers of pastries earlier this week. He is a string bean and ate most of it. I ate half a danish and realized this isn't what I want, so tossed the remaining few. Nobody complains. We seem to have an "understanding" that if they bring in junk food and place it right there on the counter... I might 1) ignore it 2) toss it or 3) eat it. never know - risky business... better to not bring it home!

The real bear are the Cereal, bread and stuff normal people should eat in healthy portions but had become my "healthy snacks" and contributed to my obesity. They should be able to have that in the house and I am doing better and better about not snacking on bread or cereal just because it is there. I am nearly 4 years post op and finally feel like I can walk buy Life Cereal and milk without the need to eat it. Damn you Mikey! Kids hate everything but I apparently LIKE everything!

You are doing so great!

I went through a period of time when I lived alone while losing weight. Some things, like candy, were alot easier!

once again, my grown sons are now my roommates. It is hard sometimes because they bring home ice cream, candy, bread, cereal and other temptations. They are pretty good about hiding candy in their rooms - they know I don't want to eat it, but if it is in front of me..I might.

Ice cream makes me sick to my stomach, but, who knows, I still might eat it. They are good about buying very small portions so i don't have that dang 1/2 gallon calling my name for like a month. I can resist for a week... but those larger containers sit there and I see them so many times ... I might just crack and dig in.

The older kid brought home two huge huge containers of pastries earlier this week. He is a string bean and ate most of it. I ate half a danish and realized this isn't what I want, so tossed the remaining few. Nobody complains. We seem to have an "understanding" that if they bring in junk food and place it right there on the counter... I might 1) ignore it 2) toss it or 3) eat it. never know - risky business... better to not bring it home!

The real bear are the cereal, bread and stuff normal people should eat in healthy portions but had become my "healthy snacks" and contributed to my obesity. They should be able to have that in the house and I am doing better and better about not snacking on bread or cereal just because it is there. I am nearly 4 years post op and finally feel like I can walk buy Life Cereal and milk without the need to eat it. Damn you Mikey! Kids hate everything but I apparently LIKE everything!

You are doing so great!

once again, my grown sons are now my roommates. It is hard sometimes because they bring home ice cream, candy, bread, cereal and other temptations. They are pretty good about hiding candy in their rooms - they know I don't want to eat it, but if it is in front of me..I might.

The real bear are the cereal, bread and stuff normal people should eat in healthy portions but had become my "healthy snacks" and contributed to my obesity. They should be able to have that in the house and I am doing better and better about not snacking on bread or cereal just because it is there. I am nearly 4 years post op and finally feel like I can walk buy Life Cereal and milk without the need to eat it. Damn you Mikey! Kids hate everything but I apparently LIKE everything!

No! Halloween can still be fun! I'm enjoying it more than I ever have. Tonight we made halloween rice crispy treats and tacos. You have to live still. I had one bite of a rice crispy treat and 1 small taco. I kept the rest of the day simple. You have to work whatever it is you want into your day. Enjoy life! My son tried to stuffed the whole thing in my mouth....I didn't swallow!! Lol

post-237766-0-02257900-1445053301_thumb.jpeg

@CowgirlJane. Haha. Just what I needed to hear! I love to hear about your sons knowing the risks. ???? And I can totally relate on the ice cream. I occasionally (twice so far) I have allowed myself a skinny cow ice cream bar but they are left over from before surgery so they may get tossed soon.

I did tell hubby that putting the bite sized chocolates out in a candy bowl just wasn't going to work for me. He thought my will power was so great it wouldn't bother me. ????. I wish! It is tough to balance my new approach with his non-sleeved eating choices. I don't want him to feel that he can't get fun foods but dang it, it is hard to resist. ????. I am only 5 months out at this point so it is still a learning process. I am not beating myself up over the candy, but I was surprised that it did make me feel a little yucky. I am guessing that is a good thing.

Thanks btw for your words of encouragement both here and to others in other forums. It is awesome to read your perspective from further into the "long journey".

@ Elode

Totally agree on finding ways to still make it fun. ???? You and your son look like it was a great evening. ???? I was just miffed at the need for added willpower with all the candy in the house and it felt good to post something as a small rant. It is amazing how just typing it out can help put it into perspective.

This too shall pass. It is still a learning process, but great women like you and others are making this journey easier and helping me feel like there is a group of friends I can talk too.

I find that when I do try something that I shouldn't, it's never as good as I remembered.

Lately I have been craving ice cream which makes me sick. So, I actually bought some of those dole dippers. Frozen strawberries covered in dark chocolate or frozen banana slices covered in dark chocolate.< /p>

If I have to have something frozen they are acceptable from a calorie and even carb standpoint.

I find that when I do try something that I shouldn't, it's never as good as I remembered.

Lately I have been craving ice cream which makes me sick. So, I actually bought some of those dole dippers. Frozen strawberries covered in dark chocolate or frozen banana slices covered in dark chocolate.

If I have to have something frozen they are acceptable from a calorie and even carb standpoint.

Lately I have been craving ice cream which makes me sick. So, I actually bought some of those dole dippers. Frozen strawberries covered in dark chocolate or frozen banana slices covered in dark chocolate.

I have been using the Zuko slushy maker to make some of my Protein Shakes into soft ice cream. Syntrax double stuffed cookie is great for this. ????. With milk it is only 200 calories and I use it when I need to get more Protein in. It satisfies my desire for ice cream a lot. Otherwise I would be struggling with the "wants" more often.

I did an open house today, and there was a candy dish full of Halloween candy for anyone who came to the open house. I broke down and had a fun size Heath Bar. I savored it, and I was satisfied with just the one. Victory!

@@Babbs I think that's the solution for me, too. One piece, on rare occasions, to be savored and enjoyed. I know myself too well. If I thought I could never, ever have candy again, I think I would obsess over it all the time and crave it until I pigged out. But knowing I can control it, have one small piece of candy or one or two bites of some other treat now and again makes it so much easier to ignore it most of the time. I know that for some people, it's a trigger and if they have a bite, they just can't stop. So we each have to make our own way. But this is working for me.

@@Babbs I think that's the solution for me, too. One piece, on rare occasions, to be savored and enjoyed. I know myself too well. If I thought I could never, ever have candy again, I think I would obsess over it all the time and crave it until I pigged out. But knowing I can control it, have one small piece of candy or one or two bites of some other treat now and again makes it so much easier to ignore it most of the time. I know that for some people, it's a trigger and if they have a bite, they just can't stop. So we each have to make our own way. But this is working for me.

Omg I totally cracked up with this! I too LOVE CEREAL! ESPECIALLY LIFE!

"Hey Mikey! He Liked it!"

Love love love cereal. But not the regular kid with all the sugar stuff like fruit loops... no wait, I love fruit loops..

Ok not cereal like captain crunch etc

The basic cereal like life, shreddies, and cheerios. Oh and frosted mini wheats.

Oh and cracklin' oat bran - which I haven't seen in like 20 years :(

Yeah I love cereal.

Lol

@@heather5565

Oh my gosh! Someone who shares my love of cereal!! I ADORED Cereal pre op. Ate it for Breakfast, ate it for lunch, ate it for dinner, ate it for a snack (not always of course, but always an easy "go to" when I didn't feel like cooking).

Probably why I got up to 235 pounds, lol. I really miss it. And the more sugary, the better. I was eyeing the Count Chocula in the store the other day with fondness....

Oh my gosh! Someone who shares my love of cereal!! I ADORED cereal pre op. Ate it for Breakfast, ate it for lunch, ate it for dinner, ate it for a snack (not always of course, but always an easy "go to" when I didn't feel like cooking).

Probably why I got up to 235 pounds, lol. I really miss it. And the more sugary, the better. I was eyeing the Count Chocula in the store the other day with fondness....

Hahahaha yep it was eaten many times in a day sometimes.

When my husband worked the eve/night shift I'd have cereal for dinner.

Another cereal that I couldn't stay away from was Raisin Bran.

But I'd have it with cream not milk.

Can't believe I just admitted that.

Lol

My husband doesn't like cereal so there's none in the house so I'm safe. Hahaha not that I'd eat it now anyways but still, don't need it taunting me!

I used to love Halloween because it was the only time of year I could buy bags and bags of candy, and not have to deal with the judging stares.

I'm happy to report that at 12 weeks post op I haven't had a single piece of candy. Or anything else I'm not supposed to. In fact I'm not even craving them!

If this were Christmas I'd count it as a miracle. ????

And speaking of cereal - there will some that I'd eat right out of the box. Frosted Mini Wheats and Frosted Flakes were my favorites. They were divine dry.

I believe my tactic this year will be to go to the movies on Halloween.

I have no grandchildren yet...

I do NOT keep chocolate in the house.

( she is my siren and sings to me after dark)

All the kids have grown up in the neighborhood....

I don't want to eat candy for the possibility of a random child trick or treating....but it is joyful to see the little ones dressed up????????