Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins (again)

Can the board use another question on this? -)

I did a search on the board and found countless discussions on Vitamins. So, forgive me for bringing it up again. However, there's so much conflicting info and polar opposite opinions seemingly among doctors and members here! Can someone just give it to me plain and simple, just the "truth," haha. Seriously, I thought I'd give it one last try and ask again before plunking down my money.

I asked my dietician and she failed to mention a Multivitamin or possibly B12. She did recommend Bariatric Advantage Chewy Bites 500 mg CA and 500 IU vit D. She sez it's the best available.

I'm hesitant after what I've read here about Bariatric Advantage, that is, the taste makes one want to jump out the window. Then again, all I read about was the Advantage multivitamin.

To summarize, here are my questions:

1. I'm starting pre-op next week, 10/22. Are the vitamins going to be any different in pre-op than post-op?

2. Is Calcium, D3 and B12 recommended?

3. The easy question, ahem... what make for any recommended vitamins?

Thanks!

I am also starting my preop diet next week (10/21) and I was told to start my Vitamins at that time. I am using Vitamins I purchased from my surgeons office, as it was a program requirement. I am using Celebrate Multivitamin (pineapple/strawberry), Celebrate Iron (grape), and Celebrate B12 (cherry?), and Bariatric Advantage Calcium (caramel). My surgeons office carries BA and Celebrate. When I chose my vitamins, they asked me what flavor I wanted, not brand, so those where the brands I chose based on my flavor selection. I am required to take all of these vitamins. Oh, btw calcium is required, not recommended. I will be taking it 3 times a day.

@@gsusser I don't know if being sleeved is any different than gastric bypass as far as Vitamins go, but here's what I've been taking and so far so good. All three taste wonderful! I have to take B-12 injections once per month for the rest of my life as my body no longer absorbs B12. I think that's different if you're sleeved because your body can still absorb. I'm almost 6 months post-op. Best of luck on your surgery :D

post-236324-0-73512700-1445004560_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-28899800-1445004567_thumb.jpg

post-236324-0-94073300-1445004583_thumb.jpg

@@gsusser I don't know if being sleeved is any different than gastric bypass as far as Vitamins go, but here's what I've been taking and so far so good. All three taste wonderful! I have to take B-12 injections once per month for the rest of my life as my body no longer absorbs B12. I think that's different if you're sleeved because your body can still absorb. I'm almost 6 months post-op. Best of luck on your surgery :D

Beachgal do you inject yourself or go to a dr office?

I inject myself. It's no biggie.

I was going to ask about Vitamins as well. I am 1 month, 5 days out RNY. I've had a rough go boys and girls, I am not going to lie. I was on here asking for Constipation advise, which I am still dealing with. Week before last, just before my 4 week mark I started to no tolerate things I had been, or so I thought. Then it was a tiny bite seemed to get lodged between my breasts and cause tight, sharp, pain.. Then slobber started. Then it came up. One meal, the next, skip one, the next, then the one sip of Protein shake and I was worried. My surgeon is 3 hours away :( I waited almost a week to see him at my post op. I was severely dehydrated at this point and admitted. Good thing being an inpatient got my EGD done a day earlier. My astimosis (sp?) was nearly closed- they called it a severe stricture. It was 3mm. They dilated it to 1cm. I was told that it may have to be repeated. Got home on Friday and as of today, Monday, I am starting to experience it again. I more than likely will have to have it stretched again. So here I sit with my new list of Vitamins I need and don't have a clue what is best or most economical. Until that post op, all I took was a multi Gummy. At the first post op (the day I got re-admitted) they told me to start B 50 complex, 600 Calcium cit, 5000 dry A (mine was low going in I guess?) and 10000 dry D daily. I think given my stricture problem a chewable will be best. I have a B-complex I got at GNC. The dietician told me the gummies were fine, but I compared and they don't come close to some of the others. So... What are the best tasting, quality, economical choices out there. Celebrate, Bariatric Advantage, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury, Brand X.. Amazon? Walmart? Do the caramel chews taste good? Money is kinda tight right now so I want to be choosing the right ones. Thanks in advance.

Can the board use another question on this? -)

I did a search on the board and found countless discussions on Vitamins. So, forgive me for bringing it up again. However, there's so much conflicting info and polar opposite opinions seemingly among doctors and members here! Can someone just give it to me plain and simple, just the "truth," haha. Seriously, I thought I'd give it one last try and ask again before plunking down my money.

I asked my dietician and she failed to mention a multivitamin or possibly B12. She did recommend Bariatric Advantage Chewy Bites 500 mg CA and 500 IU vit D. She sez it's the best available.

I'm hesitant after what I've read here about Bariatric Advantage, that is, the taste makes one want to jump out the window. Then again, all I read about was the Advantage multivitamin.

To summarize, here are my questions:

1. I'm starting pre-op next week, 10/22. Are the Vitamins going to be any different in pre-op than post-op?

2. Is Calcium, D3 and B12 recommended?

3. The easy question, ahem... what make for any recommended vitamins?

Thanks!

I'll look later when I can get to my paperwork that the nutritionist gave me....maybe I can snap a pic and post it.

I'm hoping you are working with a nutritionist in your program.

There really isn't much debate about vitamins.....we have to have them....period. End of story. I was told what to take and when (this is very important, too) and that lab work would be done down the road to see where I was nutrionially.

That did some lab work in the hospital. If I remember correctly they did it at 3:30am in the morning after surgery when I was finally sleeping. Seems like they were in and out every few minutes for some reason. sleep was the only thing I craved when returning home.

All my vitamins are currently chewables and they all taste great.

Finstones (2 per day). No kidding.....same ones I loved as a kid.

Iron

B-12

D Vitamin

Calcium chewables (the ones I'm taking are the Bariatric Advantage Chewy Bites 500mg). The chocolate&Peanut Butter and the caramel are each like little Desserts. Who would have thought we'd have treats like these. Great product.

I know there is something else but I just can't remember at the moment.

Not much debate around here on the need for these. My surgeon's office sales everything I need and I'll simply be buying them from the office in the future. They have simplified it, too, with some new chewable tablet that has everything in it but the calcium. I'll be going that direction once my current supply runs low.