Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved a month ago, still in the regret stage becsuse i had a minor hiccup couldnt hold Fluid and food down. ..i would say do your research the good bad and ugly to be prepared i experienced anxiety and depression but like everyone says the dsys get better im patiently waiting on those days

Oh man so sorry to hear I've heard a lot of different stories I'm starting to believe everyone has a different experience

@ i'm almost 4 weeks post-op and i'm going to tell you my experience. When i got home from the hospital i was so upset with myself for doing the surgery and taking the easy way out. That feeling lasted for about a week but then i started to realize that this was not the easy way out. This is just a helpful tool to aid you along your weight loss journey. What messes with you most is the mental aspect of the process and i think once you get over that first hump then it gets smoother and smoother. Your brain needs to get on the same page as your body and once that happens you forget all the icky stuff and you remember why you decided to do this. To live a long healthy life and my main reason, to be healthy for my kids so i can go to their graduation and whatever they may need me for. Good luck and please stay positive.

I am 4 weeks out and feeling regretful..this is harder than i thought..but i pray my brain catches up with thr program

i still have my days of feeling that way but it's getting way better. Just need to give it time. It's a HUGE lifestyle change but just keep thinking of your outcome which is being healthy so you can enjoy life! @@anna9/15 you can message me anytime if you just want to talk.

@ i'm almost 4 weeks post-op and i'm going to tell you my experience. When i got home from the hospital i was so upset with myself for doing the surgery and taking the easy way out. That feeling lasted for about a week but then i started to realize that this was not the easy way out. This is just a helpful tool to aid you along your weight loss journey. What messes with you most is the mental aspect of the process and i think once you get over that first hump then it gets smoother and smoother. Your brain needs to get on the same page as your body and once that happens you forget all the icky stuff and you remember why you decided to do this. To live a long healthy life and my main reason, to be healthy for my kids so i can go to their graduation and whatever they may need me for. Good luck and please stay positive.

I am 4 weeks out and feeling regretful..this is harder than i thought..but i pray my brain catches up with thr program
i still have my days of feeling that way but it's getting way better. Just need to give it time. It's a HUGE lifestyle change but just keep thinking of your outcome which is being healthy so you can enjoy life! @@anna9/15 you can message me anytime if you just want to talk.

Thank you so much i sure will ill add you ????

My surgeon said something at my initial consultation that I keep in mind always. "You won't be able to take this weight off without weight loss surgery. Your body will not let you and will fight you all the way." After years of yo-yo dieting and trying every program I saw, I know this is true.

I am over 3 weeks post-op, down 38lbs (some of this was pre-op diet) and although it wasn't easy, it is purposeful discomfort and I have had no complications.

My surgeon said something at my initial consultation that I keep in mind always. "You won't be able to take this weight off without weight loss surgery. Your body will not let you and will fight you all the way." After years of yo-yo dieting and trying every program I saw, I know this is true.

I am over 3 weeks post-op, down 38lbs (some of this was pre-op diet) and although it wasn't easy, it is purposeful discomfort and I have had no complications.

Thank you for this i will be strong and do this for my self ❤️

esmii2015,

Way to go thinking carefully about surgery and letting all of your doubts surface now instead of when it is too late.

The best thing to do is to keep being honest with yourself. How hard have you tried to lose weight and prevent regain? What do you think the sleeve will do for you that you’re not getting now? Have you thought about the complications and risks, versus the potential benefits? How will you feel in 2, 10, and 40 years when you’re not losing weight anymore, but still can’t eat some of the foods you ate before surgery?

Regardless of how your other thoughts go about whether you need it, whether the sleeve is best for you, etc., what should NOT be an issue is what other people think and whether you should feel guilty about needing it. If you need it, you need it. If you don’t, you don’t. No other people are involved, and no shame should be involved.

Good luck with your decision. Take your time, and ask plenty of questions: here, and to potential surgeons, and to everyone you trust.

esmii2015,

Way to go thinking carefully about surgery and letting all of your doubts surface now instead of when it is too late.

The best thing to do is to keep being honest with yourself. How hard have you tried to lose weight and prevent regain? What do you think the sleeve will do for you that you’re not getting now? Have you thought about the complications and risks, versus the potential benefits? How will you feel in 2, 10, and 40 years when you’re not losing weight anymore, but still can’t eat some of the foods you ate before surgery?

Regardless of how your other thoughts go about whether you need it, whether the sleeve is best for you, etc., what should NOT be an issue is what other people think and whether you should feel guilty about needing it. If you need it, you need it. If you don’t, you don’t. No other people are involved, and no shame should be involved.

Good luck with your decision. Take your time, and ask plenty of questions: here, and to potential surgeons, and to everyone you trust.

Well thank you so much this ????

Weighting2BeFree wrote: "My mom asks me all the time if I regret it."

Weighting2BeFree, I hope I may speak. You didn't ask for responses, but your opening words set something off that I think is important and common enough that it can apply to anyone. Otherwise I'd send you a private note.

If we round off your number, you've lost 100 pounds and your surgery was only seven months ago. You're on a gorgeous, thrilling, fabulous ride. Why would anyone repeatedly ask if we (I'll put it in general terms) have regrets? When people ask, usually it's because they think we do regret or they want us to regret. Their motives are suspect. They may be resentful, envious or jealous of something. No matter what, it's never about us and always about them. People who ask questions like "Do you regret?" need to deal with their own stuff and not put it on anyone else. We'd have good reason to ask them to stop. No one is allowed to block the light from shining on us.

When it's about weight loss, we all know of people who resent or fear our success. Most often they are overweight and fear being left behind in some way. They either don't want to be the only one who is overweight or think we may drop them. A little reassurance may be the solution. It goes hand in hand with a clear statement of friendship and reasonable expectations: "You will always be in my life. I love you. I need to know that you love me and want what is best for me, as I do you. I count on you to encourage and be happy for me as I do you."

Laurie

My mom is very supportive and happy for me. She has been considered the surgery but we have a different ways of looking at food. I always enjoyed food but never looked to it for emotional support. I would eat to relieve boredom but not to fill some aching void. She knows and admits to having an emotional reliance on food and so keeps asking me like I'm going to change my mind. She has had her first couple of appts with the Doctor but I recommended several sessions with the psychologist on staff to delve into why she views food in such a way. But my success so far has made her consider making drastic changes and that is all I can hope for!

@@Weighting2BeFree -- That's a whole different picture, a much prettier one in terms of your mother-daughter interaction. I'm glad you filled in the blanks and admire your suggestion to you mother. Very wise.

As an aside, I think that eating because of boredom and eating because of a void both come under the "emotional eating" umbrella. So do several other types of negative eating, including eating when something happy happens.

Best wishes as you keep going.

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I also am second guessing my decision to get sleeved, I am due to be sleeved Oct. 26th and am beginning my second week of liquid diet. I am in a turmoil at this point as I do not feel I am prepared to go ahead with such a drastic choice. I haven't been able to find out what my diet is expected to be in the future, 2+ years and forward after the surgery. But I have been told that I can no longer have Pasta, rice, bread, fresh veggies, fresh fruit! I haven't been told what I CAN have, aside from Protein... I am also confused and unsure of my decision and re-thinking the surgery.

I wish you luck and if you come up with any answers.... please pass them onto me! I could use the help !

I also am second guessing my decision to get sleeved, I am due to be sleeved Oct. 26th and am beginning my second week of liquid diet. I am in a turmoil at this point as I do not feel I am prepared to go ahead with such a drastic choice. I haven't been able to find out what my diet is expected to be in the future, 2+ years and forward after the surgery. But I have been told that I can no longer have Pasta, rice, bread, fresh veggies, fresh fruit! I haven't been told what I CAN have, aside from Protein... I am also confused and unsure of my decision and re-thinking the surgery.

I wish you luck and if you come up with any answers.... please pass them onto me! I could use the help !

Who told you that you can't have fresh fruit? Was it your NUT? Have you had any nutrition classes? I know that pre-op my classes focused on preparing for surgery and immediately post-op. I had a class one week post-op that focused on the weeks following surgery.

I am still on the losing phase so my program includes fresh fruits and vegetables, just not a lot of them. I avoid starches (pasta, rice, etc.) for the most part but am not forbidden anything. I choose to eat Protein first and have vegetables and/or fruit with the room that is left. I could have quality grains (like oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice) if I plan for it.

Once I hit maintenance I will have more room for carbs.

It sounds like you may not have the full picture.

There are many people on this site who are in maintenance and I have never heard anyone who wasn't allowed good, whole, clean foods.

Please continue to do your research. I am a vegetarian so guess what? I eat tons of fresh fruit and veg all the time. In fact tonight's dinner will be a small salad w/ Protein. You will also be able to have rice, bread and Pasta in small amounts. What may change is how your eat. What definitely changes is the amount of what you eat. You develop new eating habits, but this is not about deprivation. It's about eating in a more healthy manner.

You need to sit down with your nutritionist and review what the post op eating plan will be for you so that you can prepare for that now. 2 weeks before surgery you should already know this so that you can begin shopping for protein supplements to use as you transition back to regular food.

@@Joan24 wrote: "... I do not feel I am prepared to go ahead with such a drastic choice. I haven't been able to find out what my diet is expected to be in the future, 2+ years and forward after the surgery. But I have been told that I can no longer have... "

Speak up now. Responsibile practitioners will inform patients in advance of what to expect. I believe that they have a duty to inform prospective patients of what to expect without being asked not only what to expect in the first weeks, but over time. My view of things like this for myself is that I generally don't care what will/will not be doable later on, but I don't want surprises; tell me now what to expect then. This holds for most things medical.

You might ask about those specific foods that you've been given to understand will be forbidden. It may be that Pasta, for example, is frowned upon for its poor calorie/nutrition ratio. In such case, you may be able to have some now and then later on. It might be a matter of wise menu-planning rather than pasta's being problematic to the digestive system. (I'm speaking in maybe's, might's and could's, as I'm a band person, not a sleeve person. As it happens, band people sometimes have to eliminate some of the foods you mentioned because they don't go down well if at all.)

The surgery practice works for you; it's your employee. In most ways the staff is more experienced and knowledgeable, but you're the one who knows what you need for peace of mind. Their experience and knowledge make them accountable to you.

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

What i regret is not doing it sooner. I could have been feeling better, and enjoying my life earlier but hey, its never to late to make a good decision.