Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leg soreness after surgery?

@@Dub thank you so much for answering my questions. my surgeon has been great. he ordered my nausea Patches already and meds for pain-other meds to coat my stomach carafate? and other pills for nausea after surgery. I like how they start on the nausea before you will even get it. I have to put the patch on that morning before I go to the hospital. I have 4 and they last 72 hrs I believe. Thank you for calming my fears of needles. I have had a few surgeries as well. some nurses are great and numb up the site when they see I am crying like a little bleeep ha. thank you so much it is so nice to hear from someone that all of this is still so fresh. 3 more days!!!

Absolutely.

You are going to do great. It truly is no big deal.

Your surgery will go smoothly and you'll be kicking back, relaxing and healing in no time at all.

I'm excited for you.

Congrats on your surgery! Sounds like you're off to a great start already. Best wishes for your continued success! :)

Congrats on your surgery! Sounds like you're off to a great start already. Best wishes for your continued success! :)

Thank you.

• Dub Congratulations in having such a great surgery, weight loss thus far, a great hospital staff and having all the meds you needed. Thanks for telling us all about how things went for you. I believe I will have mine in Jan and you mentioned a few things I had no idea about. I will be sure to ask about the valium and Patches behind the ear. I also started at my weight loss in the high 490's. I know men lose faster so I will not compare but am anxious to see how well you do. I love your positive attitude. I am following this thread and your progress.

BairwithMe Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow. I hope it is as uneventful as Dub's was. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Came home from hospital yesterday .

No complaints about anything about the sleeve surgery.

The only pain I'd felt in recovery room and still has been from an abdominal hernia he repaired after completing the sleeve. It's understandable. I will say with absolute certainty that the pain is much less than on previous oven repairs I've had on hernias in that vicinity.

I'm grateful that he was able to take care of this at the same time with a great result. He had been thinking that it would not be a lasting repair when he was evaluating pre-op.

So grateful that things proved different once he got in and could see the actual site.

Other than this pain I would even question whether the sleeve surgery even occurred. ????

It has been feeling great. Just taking small sips of Protein shakes and Water. All seems well.

What is funny is how my legs feel. My inner thighs feel like I've been using the hip abductor & adductor machines at the gym.

Really sore in legs.

Anyone have similar oddball soreness in unexpected areas?

What is unreal to me is that I went into surgery healing a herniated disc at T-12.

There has been zero issues with pain in my back while post-op. Simply amazing.

I have no explanation other than the perhaps the Toradol they shot into my IV every so often the 24hrs after surgery.

Weird stuff, but zero complaints from this patient. I feel like a lottery winner and hope that everyone else has like experience with their upcoming sleeves.

I just had my sleeve on the 13th and heck yes had bad leg pain. The only other pain was the gas they use to expand the abdomen that cause the worst pain I have ever had.

This pain that some of you speak of is it like bad leg cramps or more like a sore muscle. I ask as I have terrible leg cramps and have to take a prescription med to get rid of them. They are the worse things like someone is stabbing me. I see the Dr again next Monday and if it is leg cramp pain I better be sure I can take my meds after surgery.

Came home from hospital yesterday .

No complaints about anything about the sleeve surgery.

The only pain I'd felt in recovery room and still has been from an abdominal hernia he repaired after completing the sleeve. It's understandable. I will say with absolute certainty that the pain is much less than on previous oven repairs I've had on hernias in that vicinity.

I'm grateful that he was able to take care of this at the same time with a great result. He had been thinking that it would not be a lasting repair when he was evaluating pre-op.

So grateful that things proved different once he got in and could see the actual site.

Other than this pain I would even question whether the sleeve surgery even occurred.

It has been feeling great. Just taking small sips of Protein shakes and Water. All seems well.

What is funny is how my legs feel. My inner thighs feel like I've been using the hip abductor & adductor machines at the gym.

Really sore in legs.

Anyone have similar oddball soreness in unexpected areas?

What is unreal to me is that I went into surgery healing a herniated disc at T-12.

There has been zero issues with pain in my back while post-op. Simply amazing.

I have no explanation other than the perhaps the Toradol they shot into my IV every so often the 24hrs after surgery.

Weird stuff, but zero complaints from this patient. I feel like a lottery winner and hope that everyone else has like experience with their upcoming sleeves.

I just had my sleeve on the 13th and heck yes had bad leg pain. The only other pain was the gas they use to expand the abdomen that cause the worst pain I have ever had.

I'm going to ask my doc in my appointment this morning what he did to keep me from having gas pain. I'll report back what I find out. It never presented itself. I have no idea how he worked that magic but I do remember a ladies voice with her hand on my shoulder saying "You are going to feel good, Dr Glass was very careful to get out all the gas." while I was in the haze of the recovery room. He told me the first thing he did was perform the sleeve operation and then he went to the umbilical hernia repair. I wonder if the gas was voided during this step somehow.

As far as the leg pain.....it cleared up in just a couple days. It was inner thigh region and what I'd classify as heavy soreness.

The only cramping or near-cramping that I experienced thus far were both calves. They felt really tight and on the verge of cramping. Again this was something I experienced the first two-three days. The past three days have seen my Water intake over 3 times the minimum recommended amount. I think this improved hydration was the key for solving the calf cramps.

He told me just prior to being discharged from the hospital that proper hydration and getting my 3 shakes in would solve many, if not all, the complications I may encounter. He was spot on.

I really wish there would have been a way that I could have improved my fitness level prior to this surgery. Daily time on the elliptical the month prior to the surgery would have most certainly made the rebound afterwards even easier.

I'm trying to rectify that now and not lest rust set in while I sit around.

We are blessed with some beautiful weather this week (just cold to this Southern guy). I plan on walking some laps around the neighborhood every day.

Now it's all about getting in the best shape I can over the next two weeks so that my return to work goes smooth. I've been getting calls and texts and know it's piling up on me there, but it's just going to have to pile up.

I'm very grateful.

• Dub Congratulations in having such a great surgery, weight loss thus far, a great hospital staff and having all the meds you needed. Thanks for telling us all about how things went for you. I believe I will have mine in Jan and you mentioned a few things I had no idea about. I will be sure to ask about the valium and Patches behind the ear. I also started at my weight loss in the high 490's. I know men lose faster so I will not compare but am anxious to see how well you do. I love your positive attitude. I am following this thread and your progress.

BairwithMe Good Luck with your surgery tomorrow. I hope it is as uneventful as Dub's was. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

@@ssflbelle thank you very much. You have come so very far. Clearly you are a determined soul with a winning spirit. I'm glad to have met you here. I am really looking forward to seeing you reach your goals. I know its not a matter of "IF", but simply a matter of "WHEN". You are going walk through every step like a champ.

@Blairwithme we are all thinking about you with prayers sent for your success today.

So very happy to have found this thread! I'm on day 4 post-op and started noticing some cramp-like pains in my calves and the side/back of my thighs right above my knees. There were no obvious signs of blood clots (per the paperwork I was given), thankfully, but no one mentioned this possibility to me.

Getting my liquids in has been a struggle thus far. That's pretty common from what I understand, but I'm hoping to remedy that. I've found that sugar-free popsicles have helped some. Up until this evening my pain (both from the gas and the being stabbed five times and having one of my organs split in half) had been quite bad, so I was taking the higher suggested dosage of pain medication which made me sleep a lot. This cut down on my waking hours, which meant there was less time to get my liquids in. Thankfully, I believe the worst of the pain is over. Another day with the dosage cut by 3/4 and I hope I'll be ready to ditch them completely. Being groggy and tired is the worst. Once I can figure out how to get more fluids in, I'm hoping my legs will be less sore.

@@Dub

That's really impressive that by day 3-4 you were drinking so much! May I ask if there was some sort of method to your drinking madness? Did you time your sips or mark how much you had to drink each hour?

I've only once felt full since the surgery, and that was from eating an extra half a popsicle. It passed in about 40 minutes. Other than that, I'm actually not sure how much I'm able to drink per hour. My medical team gave me a sleeve of 30mL cups and told me I could have one per hour maximum to begin with and could work my way up to more as I felt comfortable. I've been very, very careful about how much and how quickly I ingest and make a point to wait 10-15 minutes between pairs of sips. If I take 3-4 tiny sips close together, I wait 30-40 minutes.

There have been no problems with keeping anything down and I have a number of methods via which to take in Protein. My fluids stay with me all day and in my mind, I'm sipping often, but I see its clearly not as often as it ought to be. I think I'm just being overly cautious, perhaps? For me, my problem seems to be a timing/frequency issue and a treading too lightly issue. I found an app for timing how often we take a bite of food and that seems like it has great potential, I'm just not totally sure how to determine how much I can hold in this new stomach and how long it takes to pass through so I don't make myself sick.

How do you feel about the rest of your recovery? Did the leg soreness return?

Sent From BariatricPal App

So very happy to have found this thread! I'm on day 4 post-op and started noticing some cramp-like pains in my calves and the side/back of my thighs right above my knees. There were no obvious signs of blood clots (per the paperwork I was given), thankfully, but no one mentioned this possibility to me.

Getting my liquids in has been a struggle thus far. That's pretty common from what I understand, but I'm hoping to remedy that. I've found that sugar-free popsicles have helped some. Up until this evening my pain (both from the gas and the being stabbed five times and having one of my organs split in half) had been quite bad, so I was taking the higher suggested dosage of pain medication which made me sleep a lot. This cut down on my waking hours, which meant there was less time to get my liquids in. Thankfully, I believe the worst of the pain is over. Another day with the dosage cut by 3/4 and I hope I'll be ready to ditch them completely. Being groggy and tired is the worst. Once I can figure out how to get more fluids in, I'm hoping my legs will be less sore.

@@Dub

That's really impressive that by day 3-4 you were drinking so much! May I ask if there was some sort of method to your drinking madness? Did you time your sips or mark how much you had to drink each hour?

I've only once felt full since the surgery, and that was from eating an extra half a popsicle. It passed in about 40 minutes. Other than that, I'm actually not sure how much I'm able to drink per hour. My medical team gave me a sleeve of 30mL cups and told me I could have one per hour maximum to begin with and could work my way up to more as I felt comfortable. I've been very, very careful about how much and how quickly I ingest and make a point to wait 10-15 minutes between pairs of sips. If I take 3-4 tiny sips close together, I wait 30-40 minutes.

There have been no problems with keeping anything down and I have a number of methods via which to take in Protein. My fluids stay with me all day and in my mind, I'm sipping often, but I see its clearly not as often as it ought to be. I think I'm just being overly cautious, perhaps? For me, my problem seems to be a timing/frequency issue and a treading too lightly issue. I found an app for timing how often we take a bite of food and that seems like it has great potential, I'm just not totally sure how to determine how much I can hold in this new stomach and how long it takes to pass through so I don't make myself sick.

How do you feel about the rest of your recovery? Did the leg soreness return?

Sent From BariatricPal App

I kept two Yeti cups full of ice Water near the recliner that I used as "headquarters" for the first week or so. I'd take sips every few minutes and simply kept at it.

It certainly kept me hydrated and created a need to get up and hit the restroom every couple hours. I pretty much did this around the clock those first couple days home. By the fourth day or so, I'd make sure to take walks outside and increase my range.

The leg soreness went away by the third day.

One month out found me feeling much better than I had in years. Now....13 months out.....so relieved that I did this. Grateful for the entire experience. I'm very encouraged at the control I now have over eating and weight. I feel normal in this regard for the first time since being a kid.