Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New body, new set of problems

@@HopeandAgony I Have bad habits, also I heard a lot of conflicting arguments when it comes to Vitamins, it seems a bit like a scam. I had my labs done a couple a months ago, and on paper it looks pretty good. I don't have a doctor I trust, nor a nutritionist. I am skeptical, cynical fat minded person that still eats chips and Cookies for the brain rush-but-trapped in a frail skinny persons body. But the money I am saving on food is AMAZING. I know I need to change it up, maybe I will start with high Protein and change nothing else, add exercise, and see how it goes.

And speaking to the medical professionals for mental health, their solution was to prescribe m e Xanax for sleep and depression, even I know that's a terrible idea

Sometimes the medical profession you speak to is wrong for you for whatever reason, go get a second opinion from someone and hopefully you'll get appropriate help for you. The 'frailness' you're describing is most likely from the lack of proper nutrients and Water, which would also affect your skin and the 'aging' look your describing. I would look into a therapist of some kind to help you get in control of the reasons why your sabtoaging by not eating the correct protein/water/vitimins.

It's kind of chicken and the egg here. Were you deperessed before you started ignoring the eating plan, or was the fact that you ignored the eating plan (and the negative results described above) what caused the depression? It does seem like following doctors instructions in regards to eating would help your physical discomfort, which in turn would boost you mentally.

Tootsie -- what happens going forward is all up to you, of course.

FTR, I see a shrink who has NEVER recommended xanax or any other drugs. Not all of them are like the one(s) you saw.

In my humble opinion, cynicism is a shield that keeps us from risking. Nothing trusted, nothing ventured. Nothing ventured, nothing failed at. And nothing gained either.

Good luck.

When you say you are taking antacids do you mean Tums, Rolaids, etc? If that is all you are taking and not getting relief then you need Nexium, Prilosec or something similar.

Why suffer when something can help you....call your doctor for a prescritpion or get the over the counter at Walmart or drug store. You need to protect your esophogus from the excess acid too!

And speaking to the medical professionals for mental health, their solution was to prescribe m e Xanax for sleep and depression, even I know that's a terrible idea

I'm sorry they tried to brush it off with Xanax. Xanax can be an excellent option as a temporary aid to better mental health. It treats anxiety in real time and requires no build up before working. However, it's not for depression. I don't believe mental health drugs are a bad thing. Sometimes they are absolutely needed. Sometimes therapy isn't enough. Sometimes the condition doesn't respond to one or the other. But don't limit yourself to the opinion of one Dr. See someone else. Your other alternative is carrying on as you are, which what you've described sounds less than ideal in all of your posts in this thread. It's your choice. I wish you the best and hope you get well soon.

Like others have said, I encourage you to really try to get in your Protein, Vitamins, and Water. It's really very important for your health.

Personally, I just had someone tell me the other day that I looked a lot younger now that I've lost weight. Keeping up with your nutritional & Fluid requirements can certainly help to avoid a gaunt, aged look, but it also seems like the rate of weight loss, the length of time that you were at your high weight, and your age at surgery can definitely affect this as well. I hadn't been at my high weight for more than a few years (though I'd been overweight/obese for essentially my entire adult life), and I'm 34, so I think I'm one of the lucky ones in that regard.

I had back and hip problems prior to surgery--old dance injuries that made themselves known as I continued to gain weight and put more stress on my damaged joints. Since surgery, my pain has been reduced a lot, but I still have trouble, and for me, I don't think it will ever go away completely (I'm planning to see an orthopedic doc who specializes in dance medicine when I get to goal, so we'll see) but it is much easier to deal with now, 85 pounds lighter.

As far as depression and other mental issues--please, please, please find a therapist who deals with body image, eating disorders, etc. I have struggled with depression since I was a teen (it runs in my family), and I was on an antidepressant prior to surgery. I see a therapist regularly and I go to a psychiatrist in the same practice every few months to evaluate my meds. It sounds like some of the things you are dealing with are stemming from your depression--lord knows I never feel like taking care of myself when my depression is left unchecked. You get into this cycle of being depressed, not taking care of yourself, feeling even worse about yourself because you look/feel crappy, etc. It's tough to get out of that cycle without help!

Good luck!

@@HopeandAgony I Have bad habits, also I heard a lot of conflicting arguments when it comes to Vitamins, it seems a bit like a scam. I had my labs done a couple a months ago, and on paper it looks pretty good. I don't have a doctor I trust, nor a nutritionist. I am skeptical, cynical fat minded person that still eats chips and Cookies for the brain rush-but-trapped in a frail skinny persons body. But the money I am saving on food is AMAZING. I know I need to change it up, maybe I will start with high Protein and change nothing else, add exercise, and see how it goes.

Even though YOU THINK Vitamins are a scam, I would encourage you to include taking the required vitamins along with increasing your Protein and Water. I understand that they are expensive but they are much less expensive than a trip to the emergency room. You can find inexpensive versions on sale often. I recommend taking your list to your local pharmacy and getting help from your pharmacist in finding the right vitamins and supplements.

I think with protein, Water, and vitamins, you might find some relief from your mental blocks.

When you say conflicting arguments, how so? You say on paper you look pretty good, but the point of this very post is that you don't feel that way, so while it may not have caused much damage to your numbers thus far, it's obviously affecting you. Across the board the common factors for everyone have been Protein, Vitamins and Water, I don't see how that could not apply to you too? You still eat chips and Cookies, now could you possible get the nutrients you need from them?

It's entirely possible (even likely going by your descriptions of your experience) that the doctors you are seeing may not be the right fit for you, but that doesn't mean that the underlying premise of living with this surgery is going to be different if you change. You have to live within your program, otherwise you will continue to strain yourself, body and mind.

There are many professionals to consult with, find a different one. Try a mental health professional. Even better a mental health professional with a specialty in disordered eating.

The controversy on Vitamins that it popular these days is based on normal people with a normal diet. When you eat normal amounts you don't derive much benefit from Vitamin pills. But when the amounts and types of foods you eat are limited this research showing you'd be better of flushing your money that buying a Multivitamin does not apply.

You say your tests showed normal levels a few months ago, levels can change in weeks, let alone months. If you don't have a very recent test you shouldn't base your actions on that old test.