Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Grams of Sugar per Day?

What should be our maximum grams of sugar per day? The reason I am asking is that many foods, such as yoghurt and Protein Bars, offer the "correct" number of caloris (300 or less) but 20g of sugar. The 20g seems awfully high. So how many grams of sugar should be the limit for a meal and for an entire day?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

I don't know that I have ever heard anyone indicate the maximum grams of sugar per day. And I know that not all sugar is created equal, so to speak. Generally, sugar found in milk (lactose) is not as much of a problem as say table sugar or high fructose corn Syrup, so I wouldn't worry about the sugar in Nonfat Greek yogurt. Other yogurts may have added sugar, though. Also, although fructose and sucrose can be a problem, in fruits with a high level of Fiber (such as apples, for example) the sugar is not really a problem.

So the answer seems complicated, and I don't really think there is a simple "no more than X grams of sugar" answer.

Generally, I follow the rule of very little ADDED sugar, or very little sugar from low-fiber products.

What should be our maximum grams of sugar per day? The reason I am asking is that many foods, such as yoghurt and Protein bars, offer the "correct" number of caloris (300 or less) but 20g of sugar. The 20g seems awfully high. So how many grams of sugar should be the limit for a meal and for an entire day?

My nut wants us not to have anything wtih more than 8g of sugar per serving. I break this 'rule' with my yogurt because there is only one brand/flavor i like. I try to avoid eating it daily. Otherwise I stick to it.

@@bakawaka - I have never tracked my total grams of sugar per day, but I do eat a couple varieties of Greek (because it contains more protein) yogurt; Dannon Light & Fit and Oikos Triple Zero, both of which contain 7 grams of sugar. As @@toasty mentioned there are some sugars that are okay and I have also been told by my nutritionist that the sugar in yogurt is one of them. So, sorry I do not have an answer, but you should be able to find yogurt with less than 20 grams of sugar if you are concerned about that amount. Good luck!

2nd the Oikos triple zero recommendation... that stuff is delicious. I've never been a fan of greek-style yogurt before, but for some reason I love this stuff. Been eating a half of container for a snack just about every day.

Edited by goblue9280

2nd the Oikos triple zero recommendation... that stuff is delicious. I've never been a fan of greek-style yogurt before, but for some reason I love this stuff. Been eating a half of container for a snack just about every day.

I just found Triple Zero and it's amazing!!!! I mix it with stuff to help keep my Protein intake on track!

Our guidelines say food should have less than 3 g fat/5g sugar. No daily recommendations that I have seen. They recommended Greek light & fit or carbmaster yogurts. I can’t find a light & fit that meets this, so I get nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead.

I'm seven months out and eat "normal" food that I pre-prep. Each day last week I ate between 20-30 g of sugar, in a diet of 1600-1800 cal per day.

What should be our maximum grams of sugar per day? The reason I am asking is that many foods, such as yoghurt and Protein Bars, offer the "correct" number of caloris (300 or less) but 20g of sugar. The 20g seems awfully high. So how many grams of sugar should be the limit for a meal and for an entire day?

My program says no more that 40g per day, once you are on the final stage.

My nutritionist said no added sugar. I don’t count sugar g, but won’t consume anything with added sugar.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:49 AM, vikingbeast said:

I'm seven months out and eat "normal" food

Finally. I second this. OP: try eating high quality whole foods that you enjoy and dropping the powders and potions.

I’ve been doing lots of research into sugar and how it effects the body in every aspect. It’s funny that the CDC advises you limit added sugar intake to less than 10% of your total daily calories, while the AHA recommends a limit of 6% daily. I’ve cut out most processed foods and my sugar consumption is very minimal. I can’t tell you what a difference it’s made to my moods and energy levels. My tastebuds no longer need that hit of sweetness that only come from laboratories and whole food like tart strawberries and oranges do the trick. If I really crave chocolate, I go for dark chocolate chips.

Hello everyone: what I have learned from almost 10 years post surgery is that my body tells me when I have consumed too much sugar at one time and/or whether I have consumed too much sugar in one day. I still get the "dumping" syndrome if I have too much sugar. I am convinced, however, avoid added sugar as much as possible is a wise choice.

Wishing success to everyone!