Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does band hell ever end?

I had my lap band surgery 2/20/15. I did well at first but never felt I was in the green zone completely. I think after about the first 6 weeeks I just knew what I was supposed to eat and made myself stick to it. I've never really had the feeling I couldn't eat any more and I rarely do I go more than 3 hours without getting hungry. I've lost about 45 lbs but have been stuck for over 2 months now. I am maintaining my weight. I have had at least 11 fills. My nurse doesn't want to fill it too fast. Last time she put in 1/2 cc which is a lot for her. I really am feeling more but still don't have that feeling I expected to feel. Kinda of like when I first got the band. I miss that. I could eat a very small amount, feel satisfied and then forget about eating for hours. Isn't that what this is supposed to be about? I didn't expect to have to do this on my own. I wouldn't have had it done if I knew I was going to have to do it on my own, it didn't work before and I know it won't work now. Am I expecting too much from the band? I go back for another fill next week, I guess I will try again, maybe this one will be the one. I've been thinking that for a long time now. that will make 12 fills. Does everyone have to have so many fills?

Bands yet hell does end. Hang in there - 45 is great!

It kicked in for me at maybe four months. At that point, I told Doctor that it seemed I was just dieting like before. He said just wait, it hasn't kicked in yet. He was right and it did.

I got some larger fills initially (like 1-2cc's) but then very small ones. They like more frequent smaller fills, and it has worked for me.

Hang in there. All of a sudden you'll say 'wow, there it is'!

Congratulations on being down 45 pounds. That is fantastic, and even though you aren't at perfect fill level yet, something is working for you!

IMHO, small fills are more prudent than large ones. The experience of being overfilled and then having to return to get some fill taken out is not productive and I think makes things harder as once you are de-filled, it is really hard to get back (or feel for the first time) optimal fill level. Ask anyone whose been defilled and they will tell you how difficult it is to regain the sweet spot. I'd rather have a fill-person who allows me to "creep up" to perfect fill level, even if the process is costly/inconvenient/bothersome for those who don't like needles. So no, having 12 fills doesn't seem odd to me, just prudent (and I wish I had your fill-person!).

It would be good to reframe expectations. You will be doing most of this weight loss "on your own." You've probably already realized this. WLS is, at best, 10% of the process. Your band will allow you to eat less and feel full on less volume, so the 90% of the process which is you doing the work will be easier than doing this without WLS. The fact that many surgeons aren't upfront about this doesn't surprise me--WLS is an incredibly profit-bearing industry so they aren't going to try and dissade you.

That said, with your band you've still got the edge over someone who hasn't got a tool, so remember it's there and let it help you.

It's not how many fills, but how much you get to have the band properly adjusted.....I know someone who has had 12 fills, but the Dr. only gives 1/2 cc per fill bringing her to 6cc's...and she remained unhappy after a full year.

Then there are people here who report complete success and never had a fill...go figure.

My first fill, one month after surgery, was 4cc's......after that I started to gain weight, 4cc's did nothing for me....

It took 3 good fills to get me there....

But then...having good restriction, things got crazy! I was not full prepared for what was happening...I had to learn how to co-exist with the band in ways I was not prepared for....it was then then the "Rules" began to take on real meaning.

This was the most difficult thing for me, took a ot of hard work, determination....but I was not going to give up, not going to retreat....

So even though it only took me 3 good fills one month apart from surgery, 4 months...it took me 10 - 12 moinths before everything started to click and I got into a "Groove"

It has all been easy as it can be since then, and gets easier everyday almost 5 year later.

But that first year...WOW...I can certainly understaand why so many newly banded people come here to voice complaints, and it's sad they get frustrated, call themselves a failure and want to give up..Agreed, it is not easy!!! At least in the early stages......I can also understand why so many Dr.;s will suggest other surgeries over the band....

Thank you all for your encouragement! I have never had to have an unfill and have never vomited or spit up so i guess the nurse does know what she is doing. I have noticed lately that I really have to chew and take smaller bites of tender meat and this is since the last fill about 3 weeks ago, so I really feel I am close. I hope when I go back next Monday she will give me another fill. Surely, that will be the one.

I had another fill today. 0.1cc. Hoping this will be the one. I have been eating soft food today and am trying to get back to how I ate at first so this is a reset day (week)! I am determined to make this work. My daughter is having lap band placed in November, so I want to be a good example for her. I am so hoping that after the first year, I'll be saying it is really working! Glad to be 45 lbs lighter though long way to go, not as much as it was!

Edited by Sue Can Do

Well, just to let you all know. Band hell does end. It has taken me a long time but I did not give up. My surgery was 2/20/2015. January 28, 2016 I went in for a fill, I think it was my 20th (not kidding), finally, I am in the green zone since then. I am losing very slowly but after almost 6 months of plateau, that's OK. As long as I am loosing. Since Christmas I have lost 10 lbs. So the moral of the story, don't give up, You will get there! I had no idea it would take 20 fills to get where I needed to be. So excited to be on this journey!

I had fill #8 two days ago.

I am hopeful that each tiny fill I get has me creeping even further into the green. Every fill I have had in my 10CC band has been .1mls (yes, that's right, a teeny .1!) or .2mls.

I have been patient and careful, and am delighted with my almost 75 pound weight loss. I have been stalled for a while now, getting REALLY munchy in the evenings, and so I thought another band adjustment was in order.

Creeping towards that fabulous green zone instead of rushing towards it with overfills is the way to go, methinks! Patience is a virtue and pays off...!

Some doctors prefer the small fill routine. Mine was a bit more aggressive initially, but then the .5, .2 fills. I trust him and it's working for me.

And yes. Be patient.