Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This whole Birth control thing is reeeally stressing me out. Aren't you more fertile after weight loss? I can't have a baby. I just can't. And not after WLS. I hear of people on here getting pregnant a few months out from surgery.

Edited by Tssiemer1

This whole Birth control thing is reeeally stressing me out. Aren't you more fertile after weight loss? I can't have a baby. I just can't. And not after WLS. I hear of people on here getting pregnant a few months out from surgery.

From what I understand you're more fertile due to your body releasing stored estrogen.

For those of you that have done the pill and IUD (hormonal) can you tell me if you noticed a decrease in side effects from the IUD.

I am currently on Gildess (the stronger 1.5/30) and i hate it. After I started it, my skin got bad and my libido TANKED. So i want off of it.

My gyn said that people often see much less of those side effects with the hormonal IUD, so just wondering if that's the case for folks on here who have used it.

I am surprised to hear some were told not to take oral contraceptives after surgery. That's never been mentioned to me.

I don't think we can take oral contraceptives because we process everything much faster and don't absorb as much.

I just had Mirena "installed" two weeks ago. I don't have kids so my uterus had a bit of a tantrum while the procedure was taking place. I'm hoping the pain will be worth the 5 years not having to worry about it!!

As an Obgyn RN, I can tell you that it goes in easier if you have had a vaginal childbirth. However, even if you haven't, your provider can provide cytotec to take the night before and the morning of the insertion. This softens the cervix for easier insertion. Also, take 800 mg of ibuprofen one hour prior to the procedure. My doc will also do a cervical block (numbs the cervix)

I was not informed of any of this. My doctor said it will feel like a period cramp.

I almost passed out from the pain. Like fall off the table pass out. It was awful.

I called it getting HBO installed , lol. I had to take a pill to relax the cervix prior to the appt. Guess that worked because the "installation" wasn't too awful. Not pleasant, but bearable. It was over quickly.

I'm not sharing this to turn off anyone from getting one...but the problem I had came afterwards. I don't know how I drove home. By the time I got to my car cramping had just started. It got worse as I drove home. It was really terrible!

I spent the afternoon curled up in a ball in misery.

Been fine since. It's done its job. But the few hours after the procedure were very unpleasant for me.

I had Skyla "installation" on Monday. I took some tylenol prior, and didn't use the numbing the doctor offered. She said I'd have to wait another 10 minutes in the stirrups with the speculum in to make sure the numbing cream stayed where it should. I just wanted it over! :) The 2 worst parts pain wise was the uterine sound (measurement of the uterus) and when the "t" arms opened up. The pinch of the tenaculum to open my cervix wasn't pleasant either. I survived without too much issue, but the next 2 hours after weren't great. I had planned on going to the gym and working out, but I felt uncomfortable just driving home, so I went home and took the night off. It felt like I had fish swimming in my uterus....haha.

I just had a paragard inserted in Friday, the 23rd. The pain was uncomfortable for a few minutes during insertion and than I had significant cramping the rest of that day. They gave me a Motrin 800 before to help with cramping and they numbed my cervix as well.

I have also had a baby so that helps-- (I had mirena for a year after toddler was born- I don't remember that insertion hurting but it was 6 weeks after delivery)

I don't want hormonal birth control and I don't want a baby so Paragard is the best choice for me. I hope you finds what will work for you!

Edited by TMG1980TMG

I'm a couple years in with my 2nd Mirena and think it's just about the best invention in the world. I had the first one put in after my son was born. I loved it so much I had a new one done when the first "expired".

Each time, the insertion was uncomfortable and I felt pretty crappy the day of. I didn't have cramps or anything, just didn't feel good. Day after, I was fine.

I had a baby about 15 years before I got my Mirena. It still hurt like hell. I was even prepared for it to hurt bad and had taken some NSAID's and a percocet. Still hurt. Dr. said just some cramping. Yes, horrible cramping.

I had lots of bleeding and spotting for several months after. But I had been bleeding for the better part of 6 months before the IUD. Just over the past 2 months, the bleeding has changed to a few days/month. First month, I had about a 5-7 day period. Really heavy for 1-2 days, then pretty light. This past month, my period came a few days before my RNY (UGH), but I only bled for 3-4 days. So I am hoping it continues to minimize until I don't bleed at all!

I had Mirana for 5 years and it failed once, got it replaced! After surgery they found it in my canal. I got it taken out. This is the only birth control I can use