Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shaker Forever?

To get my goal (70 grams) of Protein daily will I need to stay on Protein shakes forever? Right now, 7 weeks post-op, I don’t see how I can eat enough “real” food to reach that goal. I just don’t have that much appetite or stomach capacity. Do some people continue with the shakes forever?

The title should be:

Protein Shakes Forever

I am five weeks post-op and do one Protein shake daily. I am only requested to get in 50 grams of Protein a day. My Premier Protein Shake has 30 grams and I get another twenty in from yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meats (canned tuna, salmon, shrimp, imitation crab) and soft cheeses.

I eat 5-6 small meals through out the day and don't overwhelm myself with getting x amount in each time I eat. I meal plan the day before and that is how I know I am getting in enough protein.

Some days if I am not feeling so hungry, I will up my Protein Shake to 1.5 giving me 45 grams of protein. Then I will eat an Oikos Triple Zero (15 grams of protein) the rest of the day.

It is absolutely a chore to get in fluids, Proteins and Vitamins in daily. You just have to try different things and through trial and error, you'll get there! Good luck!

I concentrated on eating high Protein meals. As a result as my meal volume increased I was able to drop off Protein shakes one at a time. I went from 3, down to 2, down to 1. When I transitioned to 1 cup per meal, I was able to get rid of all my Protein Shakes and haven't had any since. I am 29 months post-op RNY.

Does anyone find it difficult to get a whole shake down in the morning? This morning I missed my train because it took so long. Even then I got the sweats as I drank it too fast. I need about 45 minutes to get through all of that liquid. I am already getting up at 5:30!

I am four months post op and still drinking one shake (33 grams of protein) per day. My surgeon only requires 50 grams per day and I struggle with that, so I would never be able to get to 70. I can only eat about 1/2C at a time, so I still eat high Protein everything, cottage cheese, cheese, greek yogurt and a very little bit of meat (only because my pouch does not tolerate most meats).

Does anyone find it difficult to get a whole shake down in the morning? This morning I missed my train because it took so long. Even then I got the sweats as I drank it too fast. I need about 45 minutes to get through all of that liquid. I am already getting up at 5:30!

It takes me at least an hour to drink an 11oz shake in the morning-- it takes me longer to do a bottle of water! I try to keep sipping- I am not back at work yet so no worries for me! ????

Honestly, I have been drinking Protein shakes for probably 5 years now. I am only one month post-op, but I always found that it was very convenient to drink a Protein shake for Breakfast. It generally takes me 15-20 minutes to drink a 10-11 oz shake (I drink 1 scoop Isopure powder w/ 8oz water). I am pretty sure I will continue this habit indefinitely because it is so convenient.

Whether you will need to drink them for the rest of your life depends on how you plan to get your protein in. If you use a high-protein supplement (like a shake), then you don't have to be so vigilant about making sure you get in the rest of your protein during the day through food. If like @@James Marusek your lifestyle allows you to get in all the protein via food, then drop the shakes. Its really that simple. The shakes (and bars for that matter) are a convenient (and generally low-carb and low-calorie) method for getting your protein.

I need 60-80g of protein a day. I drink one shake in the morning, and in the evening I have a cup of sugar free cocoa with a scoop of chocolate Protein Powder in it for dessert. That gives me a total of 50g of protein, so as long as I get at least 10g of protein from food any other protein I get from food the rest of the day is simply icing on the cake.

instead of a shake couldnt you do a Protein bar... or egg whites ?