Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all-

It is post-op day #5 at 0600 EST and I am still feeling pretty lousy. Yesterday was rough with a lot of abdominal pressure and pain and absolutely no desire to take anything in at all, either Fluid or food of any kind. I managed to get in about 16 ounces of fluid but each time I took a small sip, I had to stop and let the gurgling pass for about 30 - 60 minutes before having anything else. I spent most of the day in bed.

Today the pressure has subsided (at least for now), but I have this mild queasiness and empty feeling in the part of my abdomen where my sleeve should be. I am hesitating to take anything in but I know I have to so I will take it slow. At this point I am just trying to get fluids in and not worry about nutrition, since the thought of any Protein Shakes or related food just turns my stomach.

I have read many blogs and it seems I am not terribly far off what others have experienced, but I have to tell you that I am very discouraged and am second-guessing my decision to go through with this. Even though I needed to lost the weight, I am not sure right now that the degree of discomfort that I am experiencing is worth it.

I need some encouraging words from others to let me know that what I am experiencing is not terribly unusual and that i will start to feel better soon. I hear about others who feel great in a few days and I am envious. My doctor and team led me to believe I would be up and running within a day or two of getting home and that isn't likely to happen at this point.

I am feeling hopeless and just want to hear from others to make sure I will be OK.

Also, today is my birthday and while originally I thought it was a good idea to get the surgery as a 'birthday gift', now I am not so sure of that.

Thanks-

Frustrated in NJ

First of all good for you continuing to try and sip. This is important so you do not end up dehydrated.

Are you on a PPI of any kind? Prilosec, omeprazole? Have you spoken with your doctor about this? Perhaps you need an anti nausea med. Have you been able to get up and walk for even short periods of time? Walking will help as will continuing to sip.

Don't give up friend. Press on. I experienced a good bit of nausea my first few days and did not meet the recommended goals either. I couldn't tolerate Protein until day 5 or later.

What worked for me was an ounce shot glass that I sipped from. In the beginning it took 5 sips to get one down per hour. The next day I went for two oz per hour., and increased from there. For me, once I could tolerate the liquid goal, I could tolerate the protein.

My NUT and Dr were more concerned with liquids early on than protein.

((Hugs))

I was 66 when I had the sleeve and it was a piece of cake compared to what I expected. I was shopping a mall 5 days after surgery, walking slow. You should be better soon.

5 days post op is still very early. I'm 11 days post op and still figuring everything out. Just give it time and go at your own pace. I was having the same feelings you are and my nurse told me that I'm only in competition with myself. She said just try to do a little more today than you did yesterday. It's only been a week. You don't have to conquer the world right now.

Happy Birthday!

You just had MAJOR SURGERY 5 days ago. Patience, Grasshopper. It takes at least 6 weeks to recover. That's why they call it "recovery". Each day, each week that goes by you will feel better and better.

Months down the road, this will all be a distant memory. I promise.

I feel you.. I'm still having uncomfortable pain...burning sensation at on of the surgical sights... Feels better with ice...I just started the Protein Shakes today. I filled a 2oz cup and just took slow sips.. It's better than the clear liquid diet I've been on for 7 days straight!! It is true you do feel better each day.. I was able to go to a little league football game and stood for about an hour comfortably and did little walking as well..so stay positive and look towards the future ????????????Happy birthday

Happy Birthday! It will get better. I had a day where i was so weak from near dehydration that i was full of regret. I had surgery on 9/30 and so far i've had 1 day where i felt good. Now i dont have pain except a little soreness where my incisions were. I am very weak from extremely low Iron. Each day does get a little better. Hang in there.

Today is day 3 post-op, and feeling miserable. Everything I consume sit right on my chest. I feel like I cant breathe at times. Im only taking in liquids at this point, small tiny sips. Anyone else having this problem? Please Help!!

I was sleeved 9/28 and my birthday was yesterday. I have researched for years any thought I was prepared for everything but I was still honestly surprised at how rough the first few weeks were mentally. I haven't had any complications and have been able to drink ok, but still not getting in near as much Water in as I should. Today is also the first day I have been able to get to 60 grams of Protein as well. Overall things truly have improved daily and it does get easier. I will say losing about 22 pounds in the two weeks since surgery and the one week preop has been great. I hope you were able to still find a way to enjoy your birthday and try to remember you will have many more birthdays due to having surgery to get healthy.

I am post-op day #6 and am still feeling pretty lousy but I have learned, through the wisdom of this forum, that the way I feel is to be expected. I am still on Clear Liquids but expect to go to full liquids soon. In the beginning I was putting a lot of pressure upon myself because I believed I would be up and about in no time. That wasn't true and now I know that it is going to take time for me to feel human again. Hang in there and we will make it through this. Pretty soon we will be looking back on others and encouraging them like they are doing for us right now.

It will get better. Give yourself some time. Each day will get a little better and by 10 days out you should be feeling pretty good. Keep sipping and walking.

Hang in there! I had the same miserable slow recovery time, and an inability to stomach most Proteins for quite some time. You've just got to make it through the first three months, then it gets much easier.