Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did a stupid thing last night, scared myself

I've been staying at a friends house because I'm dog sitting. EVERY WHERE I GO there is food/temptation staring me in the eye. I'm serious. I have never been to a home that has more Snacks, candy bars, chips, ice cream, etc. They are in the great room, they are in the kitchen, they are in the dining room, they are even in the nightstand in the bedroom.

Last night I was FULL. I had a reasonable dinner and then later I had a few almonds. REMEMBER I WAS FULL. I knew I wasn't hungry, but I wanted SOMETHING.....so I ate a small granola bar. It was not big.

I felt enormous PAIN in my upper back and in my chest after taking the last bite. It was so bad I took off my bra, but that didn't help. I walked around, but the pain wouldn't go away. The only thing that helped was vomiting...gross I know but after I did it the pain lessened.

It was a stupid stupid stupid thing to do and I am kicking myself for it. I never want to experience that pain again. It was scary how bad it felt. Temptation is going to be everywhere, I know it's not an excuse...I'll just have to be better and work on this in the future.

This may not make you feel better, but you're not alone! It's so hard letting go of the past demons. You learned a lesson - no temptations in your own house. You are still very newly sleeved (I'm at 6 months so no pro here), you will get there. It will be a process, but you will succeed :)

It happens from time to time and it will happen again. This will not be the last time you eat too much and will vomit. Sometimes you will even find that if you eat while you are excited or emotional you will also vomit even though you didn't eat that much. It just goes with the territory.

I just learned that I have a weakness for popcorn. My sleeve can amazingly hold a great deal of it. The last time I went to the movies I ate an entire child's size container. I was horrified as I only planned on eating a handful. And then today when I went to the bank they had popcorn and I ate an entire bag. Now I realize I have to completely cut it out because I can't control myself around it.

That overfull feeling is scary - pain, nausea, and it feels like you will never get over it, but you do. Just learn from the experience and know when to stop. I have unfortunately felt it more than once, and have finally learned to understand the signals. The temptations will always be there, but it's up to us to resist them as much as we can (of course the negative reinforcement of how crappy you feel does make it a bit easier).

It happens from time to time and it will happen again. This will not be the last time you eat too much and will vomit. Sometimes you will even find that if you eat while you are excited or emotional you will also vomit even though you didn't eat that much. It just goes with the territory.

I'm over a year post-op and i haven't vomited once. I had two bouts of dry heaving the day after my surgery and nothing approaching vomiting since then. Not everyone reacts the same way to overeating or eating the "wrong" foods.

I have the tummy made of steel. The only time I ever vomited was day 1 post op when I accidentally swallowed too large a piece of ice. The worse I ever had since that was going out to eat, eating too fast and getting a really bad tummy ache.

So I'm not saying it's GOOD, but for me, sometimes that physical reminder helps. I feel so normal now that sometimes I forget myself until something like that happens and it shocks me back to remembering I had 80% of my stomach removed and I really need to be careful! As a couple of people have mentioned, not everyone gets sick from too much and/or the wrong food, but if you do it might be something you can spin into a positive for yourself. You'll probably remember that feeling and not do it again for quite a while!

One of my favorite sayings! Now you know better :)

post-237766-0-44927000-1444253962_thumb.jpeg

I'm over a year post-op and i haven't vomited once. I had two bouts of dry heaving the day after my surgery and nothing approaching vomiting since then. Not everyone reacts the same way to overeating or eating the "wrong" foods.

Ditto here. Haven't puked once.

Now I definitely know better! The pain was just so intense and so scary I hope I never feel it again. I'm certainly more aware of everything I am eating today...taking care to put the fork down....chew chew chew.....and take my time.

@@Margie122

It's all a learning curve. Old habits are hard to break! Most of us ate like such piggies pre op, we have to re learn what our "full" is, portion sizes, how fast we are eating (I still eat too fast). It takes some practice and a few mistakes, but you'll get there!

I've done it too! on some yummy tandoori chicken, i knew i was full, but it was sooooo good had to have one more bite - the pain was so sore - after about an hour i threw up - not once but 3 times over the period of an hour and finally felt better, yup. won't be doing that again!

I"m a fast eatter so i have to be very careful, there is one bite between satisfied/fullish to full a tad sore but will be fine in a few minutes and one more bite to holy crap that is so sore that last bite was such a bad idea!!!

I struggle still between 1 and 2 but only hit that 3rd one once (that's enough not to do it again!)

I don't vomit (at least I haven't yet) and I haven't gotten that back and chest pain people describe. The few times I've overeaten or eat too fast I have had a sneezing fit. That's my sign that I'm too full. I also have felt kind of nauseous each time. It is such a learning curve to know when to stop, and to learn to eat slow! I'm sure we've all made these mistakes. Love the Maya Angelou quote! So true!

Some of us'll are lucky folks. I have vomited more in the last 4 months than in my whole life combined! No exaggeration. Of course it turned out mostly to be a stricture and I successfully went 5 weeks without vomiting until last Friday after first try at salmon. Not sure what went wrong but I will definitely NOT be trying salmon again anytime soon.... ????

Until yesterday, I was a "Oh, I haven't vomited once other than one time right after surgery while I was in the hospital." Yesterday, though, I was having some leftovers from a meal we had -- I was having the hot and sour Soup broth (it wasn't that spicy) and the insides of potstickers, which are soft ground pork. But then, I thought, Oooo, I miss the outside, maybe I will just have a little of the potsticker outside wrapper.

So, I ate about half of one of those. Started feeling queasy, with pain and discomfort. Eventually, yup, threw it all up. I have learned my lesson this time, for sure -- NO carby sticky Gummy bready stuff. Nope.