Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Booked for the 30th July, Perth, Australia

Hello All

I am booked to have surgery on the 30th July in Perth-Dr Sue Taylor (who is very nice) and I'm having massive reservations. Major issues for me are how will I cope at work, can I cope with my young daughter, can I still fulfill my job role without really informing the whole building therefore town of my surgery? I have only 2 weeks off work post surgery and my boss is expecting me to be fully on board when I get back. Just a brief download, I work in a very male orientated job in a very remote town in Western Australia (~2000 people, av. age =9). Heaven help if I can get Protein Shakes up here. I even have to fly to Perth to see surgeon/dieticians etc. The dietician that Dr Taylor has, happened to be an old friend of mine which is good as communication with her is easier. Ok I am stressing. I have a very supportive husband and 2 great friends who live 1000km away but I am a little nervous if something goes wrong as that is an RFDS(Royal Flying Doctor Service) flight out of town. Also 4 weeks after the surgery I have a work related course to do in Perth and I am unsure whether I should go as I am frightened that my body will embarass me after surgery.

So basically I was just wondering if any one else had those Doubting Thomas thoughts as I am having now but heh I am looking forward to chatting with you all.

:confused:Cheers Jo

Where there is a will, there's a way. I took 9 days off work because I had a hernia repair as well. I was a bit weak the first day or two but fine after that. Does your job involve a lot of heavy lifting because that would be a problem. Most people are fine in 5-7 days. Research hiatus hernia repair and mention that that's what you're having. It will explain the diet.

Also, you are trying to take everything on all at once. You can't take on the next few months in one moment. Just jump each hurdle as it comes. Yes, the not eating is hard and the operation hurts a little but, all in all, it's not that bad an totally worth it.

Thanks for your comments I actually forgot about the old Hiatus Hernia trick. My job 75% involves sitting in front of a computer but the rest is out in the field via 4WD. I'll rethink the course & discusss with my boss. Being from Sydney you will understand my trepidation of an RFDS flight. I think the worst thing at the moment is having to stay in Perth without my family for nearly 2 weeks but as you said it is the best thing for my health, family & work. I'll be soon eradicating that inner child physically. Cheers Jo