Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have no restriction 2 1/2 weeks out, can eat normal portions. WHY?!

I had my sleeve done on 9/17 and I asked for a smaller size sleeve because I am am aware of restretching the sleeve. I was given a 40 bougie with an "oversew" to 36 I am presuming. I wanted and asked for a 32 but he has never done a 32 in his practice, he does 40's. He oversewed it smalller because I asked and asked for a small tight sleeve.

Well, I woke up from surgery hungry. I got liquids down from the very start with seemingly no interruption or restricton. So the office told me to wait until I have solid foods- that that would make a difference. So I moved through yogurts and soups- still no restriction.

Yesterday and today, I had minced canned chicken and minced canned tuna. Both were 5 ounce cans. Both days I ate all of it with no need to pause and no feeling that I was pushing it. And I still feel like I could eat more but I'm not.

I feel like I am starving myself to lose weight. Obviously- I should not have this kind of ability at 2 weeks out to get anything like this amount in.

From what I read, 1-2 ounce limitation is normal for this stage. Not 5 ounces.

Please advise I am scared SHITLESS that I Will have to go back for a revision surgery when I didn't do anything!

I'm a week and a half out. I can eat five ounces no problem. Cottage cheese is all I've really tried but I have to stop myself from sucking down a whole bottle of Protein Drink without thinking. I've had no nausea and no vomiting. I am almost always hungry. The doctor I saw post op said some people have very little swelling afterward and so can tolerate more food. He also said said "Yea, you'll be hungry".

I didn't know you could request for a smaller sleeve. I wish I would have known and asked for it. I'm like you, I can eat alot more than the other people on here saying they are full at 2-3 bites. I remember in the hospital when they brought me broth, tea, Water, crystal light and Jello. I didn't hear the part when the dietician said to eat/drink on every couple of hours. I drank the entire things on my tray in one sitting as still wasn't full.

Patience. That super tight restriction some report is due to alot of swelling. I was told that i may not feel normal sensations due to nerves cut during surgery and to eat by the spoon and measuring cup and clock the first 6 weeks. If I were you, I would really try to follow the quantity guidelines, at your phase probably under 1/4 at a serving (as your nutritionalist).

Are you being treated for acid? AT first the stomach creates acid for a full size stomach and it is too much. Acidy feeling can feel like hunger. I strongly recommend you get on a quality PPI (not just tums) for the first few months anyway to see if that helps.

no restriction

@@Nomorethickchick

you are a couple of weeks postop

still around to talk about!!

hold your horses!!!!

don't be too worried this early in the game

(you'll have plenty of other days to worry :lol: )

kidding, kindof!!

your doc told you will feel more restriction once you start soft foods, and especially solids

listen to him always

talk to your NUT

tell her what you are able to eat (quantities)

you should listen to HER

in my case no way could i have eaten 5 oz

there's an expression on the boards

"Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Shoud"

in other words just cuz you can eat a larger quantity don't do it!!!

that's great that you are not having any problems drinking Water

64 oz right??

per instructions from MY NUT - i wasn't allowed (and couldn't) drink too much, too early,

too quickly

you will find that all docs/nuts give different advice plans

you just had major surgery

you have a new little tummy

don't do anything too quickly

whatever i tell you, and others on the board

is great to hear, listen, follow advice, experiences

end of day always ONLY listen to your NUT

go over rules with your nut

keep in contact with her frequently with questions

you'll see many other postings here with similar questions

that you are thinking about

good luck

kathy

Using a smaller bougie is associated with complications that require additional surgeries to resolve, such as strictures. At least that's what my doctor told me.

How are you already cleared to eat chicken and tuna at 2 weeks? That seems SUPER fast. As @@CowgirlJane mentioned, the surgery can cause damage to your nerves so you may not yet be getting proper "full" signals from your stomach, but you could still be causing damage to your sleeve. It is VERY important to eat on a timer and measure out your food in these early days while you are still healing. You cannot trust your body to tell when you are full or even doing internal harm. You need to stick to the plan.

Just because you can eat 5oz doesn't mean you should try. Weight, measure, and eat within your program guidelines.

How long does it take you to eat 5oz?

2 weeks ?????

Do not try and put your tummy to the test. Follow your NUT's eating suggestions and stop. Some of us have tummy's seemingly made of steel that don't react negatively to any sort of food. At 2 weeks out you are still healing.

@@CowgirlJane because I am hungry- because there is no restriction. There is no feeling of tightness when I eat. There is no feeling of reaching a point of restriction. The entire GOAL of the surgery is restriction. I can eat 1-2 ounces and I am completely hungry not because I have acid, but because my stomach holds alot more than someone with a small pouch does. I have to assume- but I will be tested for it to be sure- that I can hold 5-6 ounces of food at one time. Possibly more.

@@proudgrammy I can certainly eat more than that. I think you're responding from the feeling of restriction. Like, even though you know you shouldn't eat more, you know that your tummy will let you know if you have.

I do not have that feeling. When I say I can eat an entire can of tuna without feeling like it's pushing or burpy, or gassy, or tight, or anything different than before surgery, I mean just that. It's worrisome!!!!

I have only lost 9 lbs since surgery. People are flying by me. By all accounts that I read, the tummy should be able to hold between 1-2 ounces at this stage, possibly a bit more. Not 5-6 ounces at 2 weeks out. No where does it say that ---except in literature where surgeons discuss a failed sleeve.

My sleeved stomach was a size 38 bougie with no special oversew (to the best of my knowledge) so I assume they are similar sized. My "sensations" and feelings of fullness were way different early weeks... vs several weeks later... vs now. I genuinely think some of us don't "feel" the restriction at first since the nerves haven't healed yet. It will be interesting to hear what your doctor says... but I tried really hard to eat small portions and I think it has helped keep some of that feeling of restriction. Of course, every surgeon is different and we are all different, I hope you get a good answer.

@@JamieLogical I went home on full liquids- after 2 weeks I'm on purreed. So easily! Do you know there are a growing number of bariatric programs where they send people home on SOFT foods? Every program is different. So chicken and tuna go down very easily. Never had a problem with getting anything down, food or liquids. Not from the very first day in the hopsital.

@@CowgirlJane You didn't feel hunger? I feel my stomach hungry about 4x a day. And at night. I don't eat at night- but I eat during the day and I do feel that hunger, it's weird! I will check on the acid- though I don't FEEL acidy. I don't have any in my throat. I also had my gallbladder removed at the time of surgery.