Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ve seen this come up a few times recently, so I figured I’d post about it. It’s hard enough to find a surgeon whom you like and trust, and to choose which type of weight loss surgery you want, but it’s even harder to get them both at the same time.

For example, let’s say you do your research and decide on the lap-band. Then you meet a few surgeons, and the one you happen to like the best tells you you should get the bypass. What do you do? Do you put yourself entirely in the surgeon’s hands? Do you find another surgeon?

When I first met with my bariatric surgeon I was interested in the RNY procedure. He did his consultation and recommended the sleeve procedure. He stated that the RNY is "fine" but has more complications and the sleeve is one incision across the stomach, without bothering to reroute the intestines. I did some research on the sleeve procedure (which until that time I had not heard of at all) and decided to have the recommended procedure.

I was referred to this surgeon by my insurance (he was in-network at the time of the initial consult) but by the time the surgery was scheduled, his group was no longer in-network. I had to choose to stay with him (and pay the extra for an out of network provider) or start all over with another "in-network" provider. Since the same thing could happen (not under the control of a surgeon that belongs to a group with a lousy business office) I chose to stay with the surgeon. I loved his work but disagree with his business office slacking off on getting his contract renewed with my insurance carrier in time for my surgery.

I chose my surgeon after doing research and finding out how many surgeries he has performed. I also check that he is a board certified bariatric surgeon. I next started doing an internet search to see what positive experiences and negative experiences others had posted about him. I next made my consultation appointment and find him personable and knowledgeable.

I had the lap band in 2009 without much success and with complications. I had an excellent surgeon for that procedure as well, but I didn't do well with the band. I chose the lap band back then because I was concerned about losing to much weight with the bypass and the complications.

Now I realize that I have a long way to go. I appreciate my surgeon being quite frank with me about his viewpoint about the lap band and someone with my BMI. He told me the choice was mines, that he performs both the sleeve and the bypass. He told me the complications and benefits of both.