Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 mos.+ post op - saving money

If you are 6 months or more post op, do you feel like you are saving money from spending less eating out & at grocery store? I know Protein Shakes, high Protein foods & veggies can be expensive, but I think it would still be less than what I previously spent. Basically hoping in the long run I will have a little extra money. Then I can but it towards new clothes & adventures.

I had planned on using the savings from the food I was NOT going to be eating to pay for my surgery. :-)

I figured I was eating about $15 a day and would decrease to $5/day after.

And the savings would pay for my surgery in about 3 years.

I was pretty close in my estimation.

My Protein drinks only cost a little over a dollar each.

My food costs are very low.

I take the store brand generic Multivitamins.

I average about $7/day on all expenses related to eating and supplements.

I totally save money now and I am 2 years post-op. To be fair though this is because I was a huge pig before. Excluding the junk food and frozen food I used to eat, I still eat basically the same things now as I do then except it all lasts for a few days instead of a few hours. The other day I was in Whole Foods and I got 2 meatballs for dinner. I ate one for dinner and one for lunch the next day. They were like handball sized meatballs, but before I would have eaten them both in one sitting. Now if every once in a while I feel like having wings, I'll go to the store, go to the wing bar, get two, and go home and eat them. When I order a sub, I order only half now and I eat half the half (1/4) for one meal and the other quarter at another meal. I often go to Panera and get a pick 2, which is usually half a cup of Soup and half a sandwich or salad. I eat the sandwich for lunch and the Soup for dinner. Overall, yes, I do spend less money. Now I just make up for it by buying clothing instead, lol.

I'm about 8 weeks out and yes, I am saving money. When we eat out, I get an appetizer or, if I get a full meal, I take most of it home and have at least another meal, usually two from it. Unless I have plans to meet someone, I almost never eat lunch out any more. I just eat my 4 oz. cottage cheese or my tuna packet and I'm very satisfied. I'm not spending a lot on Protein powders and drinks, because I can't find one I like. I use the New whey bullets, 1/2 or 1/4 of a bullet each day, and 1/2 a Protein Bar a day, which can add up. But we have always eaten out a lot, and now I'm not doing that as much, and am spending a LOT less when I do.

Here's an example: We go out for sushi at least once a week. Here's what we used to order to split: Edamame, age dashi tofu, sumai (dumplings), at least 6-8 pieces of sashimi or nigiri, and 3 rolls. Now we get the either tofu or edamame (and I take most of it home for lunch the next day), sumai (I eat 1 piece, he eats 5), 1 roll (I don't eat any of it) and 4 sashimi (I eat one piece). About $30 compared to $50-60.

Edited by Thinside

My monthly expenses have actually increased. I too thought I would have tons of extra cash saved but I neglected to factor in the purchasing of new clothes. In the past 7 months I have spent more money on clothes than I have in the previous 5 years combined.

Of course there will be less. It's like now during the pandemic. We all stay at home, the shops don't work and the pubs don't work either. We don't go out and have fun, which means we spend less money. After the operation, you will certainly spend money on different things, but if you allocate the budget correctly, everything will be fine. A financial adviser can help you with this. I already use the services of the best financial consultant.

Edited by AngelaTurner

I have saved a ton of money. I used to spend around $20 a day on food. Definitely not doing that anymore!

That's a HUGE plus for me.. It has helped lessen the blow of my deductible.