Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

coffee....I miss it so much! I am eleven days post op and have not had any complications beyond a super sore incision that they say is just bruised, not infected....but anyway, I am missing my morning friend and I am wondering who has gone back to drinking coffee and at what point after surgery. I don't want to drink too much to interfere with my liquid intake but seriously, even a cup would lift my spirits so much (not that they are down, I just miss my morning cup of coffee).

Thoughts?

from what I've seen on this and other forums, surgeons seems to be across the board on this. Some allow it right away, some allow Decaf only, some allow limited amounts of caffeine when you're further out from surgery. Both decaf and regular have acid, and caffeine has caffeine (duh!) to boot. Both can be hard on healing stomachs - and caffeine can be dehydrating.

that said, I was allowed unlimited decaf at the three-month mark, and one cup of caffeinated per day at the six-month mark. You might want to check with your surgeon's office to see what they say.

Definitely check with your surgeon or NUT. I am pretty sure Decaf coffee would be fine. The problem with caffeine is that it has a diuretic effect, and it is a stimulant. Stimulants increase hunger, so it might make it more difficult for you.

However, as @@catwoman7 said, some surgeons don't allow caffeinated drinks (hot/cold tea, hot/cold coffee, etc.) at all, some do allow it earlier, some later. So as with everything else, ask your doctor. :)

In my case, my doctor allows decaf coffee starting in the pureed stage, and 1-2 cups of caffeinated coffee or tea (hot or iced) per day once we reach the solid foods stage.

I'm ten weeks out and used to be a tea drinker.. now I crave coffee so have had a couple of cups this week, when I have been out for dinner.

I surpass my liquids every day so feel okay having a cup of coffee every now and again. As for it increasing hunger, I haven't had any at all other than head hunger and that seems to be at a minimum now.

I really believe in following the plan of your team however it's realistic to understand all the facts and make an informed choice yourself, using a ton of common sense.

I was allowed Decaf coffee and herbal tea from day 1. 6 weeks in I could have regular coffee. I'm not a daily coffee drinker and it doesn't make me dehydrated or hungry. However doctor's vary greatly on whether they allow it or not. Check with your program.

coffee? Yup, don't listen to people here. LOL The range of responses you get will be everything from "I drank it in the hospital before discharge" to "I can never have caffeine of any kind ever again". Everyone will have a justification and explanation.

The only people whose opinion you need is YOUR treatment teams so call them.

BTW, as per MY doctors instructions I've been happily drinking regular coffee since discharge with no issues ????

Thanks everyone! Yes, I meant to ask it at my post op and forgot and have been kicking myself ever since. I will give them a call tomorrow. :)

I switched to Decaf and honestly don't miss caffeine anymore!

LOVE this topic i was wondering the same thing.....!! thanks for the topic and the responses this helped!!!

I am allowed caffeinated beverages such as tea or coffee right away if I tolerate them. ????.

I have had tea, but the coffee didn't sit well so I am going to try again in a week or so.

Caffeinated coffee and alcohol are the two items where opinions are most varied. I think personal prejudices and philosophies play a large part in these disparate opinions. I was cleared to drink both regular coffee and alcohol, both in moderation, one month after surgery. I drink regular coffee every morning but have not yet tried having an alcoholic beverage but I will soon.

First, a disclaimer: I plan to have a glass of wine at Thanksgiving. So I'm not apposed to alcohol, especially in moderation. But I've read a couple of research studies on alcohol use with RNY patients.

First, one glass of alcohol (any kind) generally hits us like 4 glasses of that alcohol did pre-surgery. So if you drink, don't drive.

Second, there is a much higher incidence of alcoholism with RNY patients than with the population as a whole. Research is not clear on why, but speculation is it may be transference (can't binge on food anymore, so binge on alcohol).

I'm not suggesting any of this will affect you, just pointing out the research, and why doctors are generally wary of RNY patients drinking much.

I started drinking it like a month and a half after surgery. It's my addiction for sure. My doc was fine with it because I was healed and felt great and wasn't getting heartburn. I think it depends on the person and how you feel. Your body will let you know I think. When in doubt just call the NUT.