Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve with hiatal hernia?

I have a hiatal hernia and Gerd so my surgeon recommends the bypass for me, but I would rather have the sleeve if I do have this surgery. Any of you sleevers also have a hiatal hernia?

I had the sleeve a week ago on Sept. 25th. I didn't even know I had a hiatal hernia until the nurse told me after the surgery. The doctor saw it and just took care of it while he was doing the sleeve. No problem at all.

My surgery is scheduled for Oct 13th.

I had my upper endoscopy on Tuesday.

Surgeon came by afterwards and said he found a hiatal hernia as well during the scope.

He's already planning on repairing a large umbilical hernia, then the sleeve and now the hiatal hernia as well. I guess I'm getting my money's worth.

I've had two open abdominal surgeries in the past. Both were outpatient. Both sucked outright.

I'm glad that this is being done with a hospital stay and obviously glad that it's laparoscopic.

FWIW.....I'd been saying all along that I wanted a bypass. The first surgeon I was working with said it was doable, but I needed to be aggressive on my weight loss leading up to the surgery (at the time I thought I had ~8 months).

I switched over to another program that my insurance company mandated (a Center of Excellence certified program) and had a new surgeon. Long story short is that I dropped the insurance and chose to self fund to speed things up.

My new surgeon was very clear in that he though the sleeve would be better for me. He felt that I'd benefit more from it right now....less complications with the elevated BMI, bone-on-bone knee situation, back issues....ability to use NSAIDs and reap their benefit. I was going to have hernia repair this Fall anyway......decided to go this direction at his advice.

I'll work his plan hard and do what I can to get my results.

Down the road.....were there ever a need......I can use my insurance and have my sleeve revised to a bypass. I am not proceeding as if this is a safety net.....but it is nice to know that there are options in the future.

I do not have diabetes, nor is there any family history of it. This combined with the reasons above as well as some other issues made the sleeve vs bypass decision easier for me.

Everyone has unique circumstances.

I was found to have a hiatal hernia after they did the pre-op EDG test on me.

But my doc never said it would interfere with the Sleeve surgery. He said it was very common and he routinely repaired the hernias as part of the operation.

But, I decided on the Sleeve before I chose a surgeon.

And found a surgeon that preferred doing the Sleeve.

I had a hiatal hernia and he repaired it during the Sleeve surgery.

He does both Sleeve and Bypass, but he never mentioned the Bypass option.

My surgeon repaired my hiatal hernia during my sleeve surgery. I didn't know I had it until after it was all done.

I had a bad hiatal hernia that the doctor fixed when he did my sleeve. No problems there.

I also had a hiatal hernia repair during my sleeve. My was pretty significant.

I had a very large hiatal hernia that the surgeon fixed along with the sleeve. There was never any discussion about that being a problem. In fact, many, if not most, people who qualify for bariatric surgery have a hiatal hernia. Sizes vary, but I have not heard that having one caused a problem with the sleeve or the bypass. Everyone who goes through the Bariatric Center here has to have an Endoscopy prior to surgery, and hiatal hernia is one of the things they look for. I am relieved to have mine fixed.

The doc found and fixed it during the surgery and it worked fine

Add me to the list of ones who didn't know it was there before but doc fixed during surgery

My doctor fixed mine during surgery.

The GERD is probably more concerning with the sleeve than the hernia. Long standing GERD can worsen with the sleeve forcing a revision in the future. That may be why doc is suggesting bypass over sleeve.

Sleeved Oct. 14, plus gall bladder removal and hiatial hernia which was a surprise. Dr. said she found it during surgery and repaired it.....interesting to know i'm not the only one

Hoping I never need a revision