Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@Indieflickers - Good to know!

I am 12 months post up as of this week. I just recently upped my calorie count to 1200 max. At 8 months I was at 1000 max and was at that for about 4 months.

I started really slowing down and thought the added Protein and calories would help but so far I am still moving very slowly. 24lbs to go and it's back and forth constantly,

@@Djmohr that sounds really frustrating!! Do you get hungry at 1200?

Edited by Indieflickers

Most of my hunger is actually head hunger and not real. If I do notice myself getting real hunger it tells me I am not eating enough dense Protein and good fats. In between my 3 meals if this happens, I really have to really pay attention to the signs and take the following approach:

1. I feel hungry, am I really dehydrated? I start by drinking Water because it is the only thing I drink. Dehydration can actually cause hunger symptoms. If after 8 to 10 ounces that feeling is still there....

2. Is this real hunger or am I craving something specific? I really think about this one. 99 percent of the time I am craving something specific and that tells me it really is head hunger. I then go do something to take my mind off of it.

3. After the above 2 steps, if I am still feeling hungry, I actually go have 8 ounces of milk. (This is what I should do everytime but of course I am not that well behaved). Milk turns to a solid in your tummy, fills you up and provides both excellent Protein and Calcium.

4. If I just cannot get that 1 thing out of my head after the first 3 steps I might just give in and have a snack. 99 percent of the time I reach for nuts, cheese, jerkey, yogurt or pudding. 1 percent of the time I give in a have a bite of two of something I shouldn't knowing it won't kill me or make me gain all my weight back.

This strategy seems to work for me.

@@Djmohr good advice! I actually do the exact same steps - except sip milk. It hasn't been working lately though. I'm still hungry a lot more than is comfortable.

@@Indieflickers - I'd listen to the women, no one is the same but testosterone/estrogen levels are important and can't be ignored

I'm 8 months out and I eat between 1000-1400. I know it seems like a lot to sooo many people but I work out A LOT and not just cardio but I do some heavy duty strength training, hike and do zumba and yoga, everyday i do something. I was semi being told it was a lot so I cut back to 1000 a day and was starving and feel ill and said forget it I do more I need more. I might not lose as fast but my weight loss is steady and healthy according to my surgeon and nut so I'm ok with it!

I have noticed when I dip below 1200 calories I start holding onto the weight. I've been sick with a cold and had a bit of a rough week emotionally. As a result I haven't been eating enough and haven't lost any weight this week.

At three months I was getting upset because I was losing so slowly and the nurse practitioner at my Bariatric Program told me to increase my calories from 800 to 1200. The weight started melting off. For my body, 1200 calories seems to be the magic number.

I swim 3-5 hours per week too.

Interesting replies.. My weight loss has slowed a bit lately.. at 6 months.. maybe I need to increase.

@@Chrystee I'm obviously not a doctor, but I think you probably do need to increase some. Especially on those days where you bike 20 miles or more!

@@Chrystee - it might be worth trying an increase for a week, especially if you are exercising a lot. I think our bodies are all different, but I've found a good calorie to workout ratio and it's working for me.

@@Madmax68 what is your ratio?

@@Indieflickers - It's pretty simple :D I eat 1200 calories and work out three to five days per week, one hour per day. I swim, which burns a lot of calories, close to 900/hour. I usually lose 2-3 lbs per week.

This week I've been sick with a cold so have been closer to 800 calories and I haven't worked out either, so the scale isn't moving.

I've been around 1000 or so, and I work out quite a bit too. This has been my worst loss month so far..