Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October List of Surgery's

Hey October family, it's good to see people posting updates!

I'm ebbing and flowing- sometimes I feel so awesome and focused, other times I stray a little and it veers into the ridiculous and I have to stop the self-sabotaging and get back on track.

I knew it wouldn't be a magic bullet but I am a bit disappointed with how I can eat anything and feel fine and sometimes I can eat too much and feel fine. It makes it more of a struggle to remain on track.

I've gone from 257 to 165 and yet I feel so fat now. Isn't that weird? I'm exercising regularly but I just feel squishy everywhere. Lol it's definitely an adjustment.

I've also been more emotional lately and feeling the loss of my old eating habits. I really used food for fun and as a way to connect to people like my partner and family. Sometimes I get in a bad mood around dinner time and take it out on others. I'm trying to be more self-aware because I believe that I can change these associations if I'm conscious of them. It's just a challenge.

None of it seems to be happening fast enough for me and yet I would have never lost weight this fast without the surgery. Sometimes I feel stressed out about not 'maximizing the honeymoon period' and all of that stuff of which people are often reminding others. If I stumble I worry it'll all slow down and stop and I'll kick myself for not being on track all the time. It's a perfectionist mentality and it's not doing me any favours.

I'm not sure if anyone relates to this. I just thought I'd throw it out there. This isn't as easy as I'd hoped and I'm not being as perfect as I'd planned.

There you have it. 165 though. I just chant 'into the 50s! Into the 50s!' everyday before I weigh. Lol

Wow @@anewme2015, you have lost almost 100 pounds since Oct! I wish I was doing that well. I think you are loosing plenty fast and 165 seems like a dream to me. I was only 10 pounds heavier at my surgery date but no where near 165 today.

Edited by kaitlynm

Thanks Kaitlynm. It's funny how we're never satisfied with ourselves eh? You're right. I should be more celebratory and less hard on myself. Just had a 'bad' few days and feeling off track I guess.

Thanks for helping me focus on what I've accomplished. :)

Thanks Kaitlynm. It's funny how we're never satisfied with ourselves eh? You're right. I should be more celebratory and less hard on myself. Just had a 'bad' few days and feeling off track I guess.

Thanks for helping me focus on what I've accomplished. :)

Surgery date was October 26 2015. Starting weight 280, surgery day weight 222. Today I'm at 169.3, meaning I'm only 9 lbs away from goal weight suggested by surgeon. I'm so excited!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

You are similar to me.

Starting weight. 240

Surgery weight. 210. Oct 27, 16

Current weight. 168. Height 5'3"

Goal. 140-145. BMI 25

We are getting close very quickly.

It's SURREAL!!!

I'm almost to my high school weight and people often don't recognize me.

Lessons.

CARBS ARE NOT MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!

I keep my carbs to 40 daily

Calories to 750-800

Walking to 1.5-2 miles

I really believe that I will stall, lose my honeymoon phase, and/or regain my hunger if I reintroduce bad carbs.

I look forward to maintenance when I can increase to 1200 cal so that I can have veggies.

I don't feel like an alcoholic who has to have a little alcohol to live. I feel like a CARB addict who can thoroughly enjoy food as long as it is Protein and veggies.

This is not a huge sacrifice bc it is such a BLESSING not to be hungry and to feel normal size for the first time ever.

I deal with body dysmorphia which is super common. I felt huge in high school at 150. And at 51, didn't see all the fat in the mirror at 240. Only saw it in pix.

We are so blessed. I genuinely don't fear regaining weight as long as I avoid carbs.

Any other carb addicts out there?????

PS. With all this Protein, I definitely have to take Benefiber and a little Miralax daily.

I'm stalled... I'm not getting enough rest at night and it's throwing it all to hell. I'm going to school 4 nights week, work full time and I'm having issues getting to the gym. I live in an apartment (2nd floor) so I'm worried about jumping around at home. I need to get over that, but then I'm not sure what I should be doing at home. Any ideas? Anyone know of a DVD or something I could do?

I feel good. But I feel like the scale isn't moving or matching how I feel. Lacking motivation and time. Any support our ideas will help.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I'm stalled... I'm not getting enough rest at night and it's throwing it all to hell. I'm going to school 4 nights week, work full time and I'm having issues getting to the gym. I live in an apartment (2nd floor) so I'm worried about jumping around at home. I need to get over that, but then I'm not sure what I should be doing at home. Any ideas? Anyone know of a DVD or something I could do?

I feel good. But I feel like the scale isn't moving or matching how I feel. Lacking motivation and time. Any support our ideas will help.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

More Protein and less carbs!

Go for walks including your stairs.

I've been walking around the mall where I work during my lunch breaks. So much easier to include exercise into my normal routine. Also it's free.

I'm a carb addict too. I completely relate to your post. If I have anything above 40-50 g then it's like a drug and I want more more more! I ate some chocolate and wow- off I went! So bad. I think I'm having a little panic about losing my fat security blanket or something because since getting under 170 I've been self-sabotaging. And now Easter. Ugh. I need my focus back. I gotta kick the carbs because like you I feel so much better without them.

Skip the first bite. It's not worth it.

I'm having an identity crisis too. But I don't miss my fat blanket. I like being more normal (whatever that is) and shopping in regular stores. I focus on the lack of pain in my hips, knees and feet.

Emotionally I'm surprised that I'm the same person fat or thin.

You might be self-sabotaging but more likely you're reacting to the carb addiction.

No first bites.

Veterans in my support group seems to fight difficult moments with Protein, protein and more protein!!!!

@@SleeveandRNYchica Good to hear from you!!! Sorry you had the set back! 53 lbs is great! I've lost 50 since surgery!!! 35 more to go to get to 145 to keep it under 150!!! The weight loss has slowed down, but I haven't been walking like I was, need to step it up, literally!!! Keep going your looking great!!!!!!

I have been horrible at walking :( I need to step it up, too!

My surgery was Oct 13. HW 286, SW 268, and CW 199. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere lately (the last month). I have only lost 2 pounds in the last month and no matter what I do I just can't seem to get the scale to move. I eat about 1000 calories per day because I work out 2 hours every day. (Intense Cardio). I get 100g of Protein per day and drink at least 70 oz of Water. I did so well up until the middle of Feb, and then now just nothing. I have started adding more weights into my workouts. I understand that there is stalls, but this seems crazy. I still have 55 pounds to loose, and I'm not going to make my 6 month goal of 190 set by the surgeon. Anyone else having this proble

Hey October family, it's good to see people posting updates!

I'm ebbing and flowing- sometimes I feel so awesome and focused, other times I stray a little and it veers into the ridiculous and I have to stop the self-sabotaging and get back on track.

I knew it wouldn't be a magic bullet but I am a bit disappointed with how I can eat anything and feel fine and sometimes I can eat too much and feel fine. It makes it more of a struggle to remain on track.

I've gone from 257 to 165 and yet I feel so fat now. Isn't that weird? I'm exercising regularly but I just feel squishy everywhere. Lol it's definitely an adjustment.

I've also been more emotional lately and feeling the loss of my old eating habits. I really used food for fun and as a way to connect to people like my partner and family. Sometimes I get in a bad mood around dinner time and take it out on others. I'm trying to be more self-aware because I believe that I can change these associations if I'm conscious of them. It's just a challenge.

None of it seems to be happening fast enough for me and yet I would have never lost weight this fast without the surgery. Sometimes I feel stressed out about not 'maximizing the honeymoon period' and all of that stuff of which people are often reminding others. If I stumble I worry it'll all slow down and stop and I'll kick myself for not being on track all the time. It's a perfectionist mentality and it's not doing me any favours.

I'm not sure if anyone relates to this. I just thought I'd throw it out there. This isn't as easy as I'd hoped and I'm not being as perfect as I'd planned.

There you have it. 165 though. I just chant 'into the 50s! Into the 50s!' everyday before I weigh. Lol

It is like you read my mind… we are both feeling the same things! I feel better just reading that I am not alone… I've lost so much weight and have done so well, but I'm worried that I am not doing enough. I am not walking, starting to sneak in carbs (and wine!)… just feeling guilty and know that I am not doing enough. My weight loss is super slow now, too. That part you said about feeling fat and squishy still, lol, i feel that same way sometimes. I think so much of it is mental, I guess, lol… Anyway, thank you for sharing and allowing me to vent, as well :)

Maybe it's the amount of exercise? I've noticed (and just personal observation I'm not a dr!) that people seem to stall who exercise excessively. 2 hours is maybe too much? It's also unlikely that that level of exercise is sustainable so you may be setting yourself up for failure later either way. Maybe try to cut back the exercise and see what happens.

And I suppose it's not exactly 'missing' my fat security blanket but I agree with your statement abt feeling the same emotionally fat or thin. Losing weight didn't make all my demons and insecurities disappear and while I'm definitely putting myself out there more, I'm still plagued by a feeling of being on the outside of things. It's weird. I thought that would go away.

And jpod, you are soooooo right. Skip the first bite. I think I need to approach it like I'm an alcoholic. Maybe some things (simple carbs) I just can't handle in moderation. An alcoholic doesn't say I'll just have a little drink and have it be ok. I think I need to change my mindset and address the carb addiction like it is- an addiction!!!!!

Well, here we are, for most of us almost to the 6 month mark! I never thought I would be under 180 again & here I'am. The last 2 months it has been a crawl for me getting here but its still coming off! I'am more active now, moving more, & feeling great!!!!! I haven't been walking like I should still!!!!! So probably why its slowed down so much. food does not control my life anymore, which sometimes I wish I enjoyed eating more than I do when we go out to eat but I just don't!!! I do get hungry when I haven't eaten in a while but is quickly remedied with a few bites of something. I still try to get my Protein in but is still a struggle. I usually don't eat much more than a cup of food at a time. My solid meats still fill me up quickly. And eating slow is still a struggle & I get that stuck feeling when I do eat too fast. I haven't had any problems with any kind of food, except things that give you gas. Gas seems to be my biggest problem so far with this surgery for me. I had refried Beans the other night & so glad I was at home. My stomach bloated out terribly. My body looks so much better in cloths now. I'm between a size 12 & 14 in pants & M & L in shirts. Out of cloths, well lets just say I won't be wearing a bathing suit. My arms are the worse, I think I could fly with these wings, inner thighs, thank-god for Spanx, & breasts, I think most women have the same problem after giving birth & age but thankful for good bras which are wonderful for this!!! So I haven't heard of a good surgery for underarms but when I do I may have something done to them, other than that it is what it is. My Hair loss has slowed down as with the weight loss. Feeling so much better now has made every sag, wrinkle & even the gas worth having the surgery. My self esteem is so much better & I feel like the old self is back!!! I hope you all are as happy with this surgery as I'am! I'm so thankful for each & every one of you! You have made it so much easier going through this! I wish you nothing but success & can't wait to hear from everyone, especially as we meet our goals!!!! Have a wonderful 6 month anniversary everyone!!

Congrats on the loss and all the great NSVs! As for the arms, I'm right with you. I'm debating an arm

Lift when I get closer. If you look on the real self app you can see before and after pics and it's truly amazing how much it improves. I'm definitely going to do plastics and I NEVER thought I would. I'm thinking a breast lift, Tummy Tuck and arm lift. Hopefully I won't need a body lift to get the results I want.

I have another endoscopy because I have developed an ulcer but I'm hoping the medication is doing its thing.

Anyway I hope more people post. I e followed this group since the beginning. How is everyone?!?!?

Hi all!

Been reading posts and really appreciate this forum. It seems as though my weight loss is slowing down a bit - and it wasn't that fast! Anyway, one of the hardest things for me is to get in enough Fluid everyday. My stomach still doesn't like Water very much, but am trying not to drink broth very often as even the low sodium broth has salt in it.

I could probably exercise more - lol - have had a lot of trouble with getting tired out when I exercise, but am still walking everyday and get to the pool a couple times a week. Don't know why my energy level is still so low - all my blood work seems to check out fine. Anyway, I am taking things day to day - still logging everything. I am not really stalled - just SLOWLY losing.

My arms have begun to get really loose - and my stomach, too. I exercised a whole lot before the surgery, so am thinking that helped a lot up to this point.

Just spent a week with the grandkids - kept up with them the whole time! I can do so much more these days because I am not carrying around so much excess weight.

Anyway, continued success to all of you! Keep on keeping on!

WARNING!! This is the complaint department and I am shooting to be the head complainer.

Hmmm Carb Addiction. Just because last week I had 4 single chocolates, a milky way, a whole bag of robin eggs and a bunch of other stuff that I shouldn't be eating besides shouldn't be able to eat....doesn't make me addicted to carbs! First step in addiction is denial and it isn't just a river in Egypt. I have recently heard the words carb addiction. I know I LOVE sweets. I know food doesn't taste good now that I don't eat bread, rice and Pasta which I am slowly understanding are all carbs. Now I have to figure out what led up to me eating those "bad" foods and how to attempt to control my addiction. I have to educate myself on what is a carb, which carbs are good and which are bad, how much I need to limit myself to and so on. UGH!

One of the reasons I had the gastric bypass surgery was so I would have negative consequences to eating both high fat and high sugar foods. What a disappointment to find out I seem to be able to eat both without getting the dreaded dumping syndrome. Granted I am drinking Water at the same time I am eating this stuff this is why I am able to eat the amount I am eating. So I think one of the rules I need to implement is not to drink for 30 minutes after eating ANYTHING. Now this alone isn't going to stop me from eating sugary and high fat foods but my stomach does hurt (feels like heart burn) if I eat too big amount if I don't wash it down by drinking. This would at least limit the amount I can eat at one time.

Would I have had this surgery if I had known I would not get dumping? Probably not but I have had it so it is water over the damn (misspell on purpose).

Will try to be more positive now:

HW 403, SW 365, CW 265.4, I have lost 137.6 lbs since July and 90.6 lbs since my 6 October surgery.

I am beginning to do so much more than I have in years. Over the past 4 weeks I have spread 8 truck loads of dirt over my yard. In my yard I am trying to make up for the years I have neglected it due to my limitations while I was heavier. I have so many projects going on it is amazing.

This weekend I plan to WALK (read as stroll) a 5k. It will not be about setting world records. I am just seeing if I can actually complete a walking 5k. Then I will have a starting point of how long it takes me to complete that "fun" walk and in the future I can attempt to better my time.

Now with all the complaining I did about what the surgery did not do for me let me talk about one thing the surgery did do for me. Remember all that "bad" stuff I ate? Well I still lost 1.6 lbs for the week. I am supposing that my reconstructed innards did not allow me to absorb all those calories so I didn't gain weight.

15 April I go back to my bariatric surgeon for my 6 month checkup. I have passed the 6 month goal of losing 100 lbs in 6 months (kind of). Now I will ask them what is my next weight loss goal?

I have not been regularly exercising so I need to get on that band wagon as well. I hope it will help me mentally as well as physically.

I will stop now as I have probably taken up a whole page in this one post. At least it feels like it.

Edited by 395Ron