Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well so here I am.

Hi guys. Today is Tuesday and I am due to go to hospital for my operation tomorrow.

I live in Ireland and will be traveling to the hospital tomorrow and getting knifed on Thursday morning the first of October. I am having my surgery semi privately. It is paid for by my insurance, but happening in a public hospital. That's how Ireland rolls I'm told. :)

I've been on liver shrinkage for the last three weeks and i've honestly found my groove with it. I am not always hungry and i find it fairly manageable. The only thing i'm having difficulty with is getting in my three Protein Shakes every day. I'd say I average around the two mark with occasional third ones. I'm just not hungry after i have my dinner these days..... go fig.

I've lost quite a bit of weight during the three weeks of shrinkage. I don't know exactly how much as we don't have a scales at home, but definitely a bit. My friends, family, acquaintances and veritable strangers are all mentioning it to me for the last two weeks.

Right now i'm a little scared and the occasional person has said "sure if you can do it now do you really need the surgery?". Honestly that gets to me. While I know the statistics and enough related to weight loss to fill myself a small- medium sized book there is still a side of me that wonders if this is the right choice. I'm fairly certain it is, but the doubts are getting a bit louder and brasher the closer I get to the surgery date. Natural enough really.

Either way it's all ahead of me and rather soon to be honest. Last night I was attending a rehearsal for a play. It was happening at a community/sports complex type building. As i was walking in the door a group of youths old enough to know better were congregated outside clearly after some sort of sporting thing. As i walked past there was a chorus of look at the state of him walking in there etc. I'd like to think it wasn't me, but i'm fairly sure it was. I find it hilarious that i can still manage to get myself bullied as a 33 year old man and it literally makes my blood boil that in that moment walking in the door I said to myself "i'll show them in a few months time"... they literally do not matter. These are people who literally have no manners and piss poor parents.

I can not however deny that this has steeled my will somewhat yet it vexes me to the bone that it is one of the reasons i am having surgery the day after tomorrow. I'm tired of being stared at. 33 years is enough. I've had enough. I am full.

So heres to the changes. I plan to give another update tomorrow. If anybody else is going through this process then feel free to get in touch.

I love you all and am so proud of each and every one of you changing your lives for you not for anybody else.

See you soon

Des x

Congratulations on making a huge step in becoming healthy. Yes you will show them soon! You will be amazed at how much better you feel every day as the weight comes off. I agree, parents do't teach any manners to their children these days, that seems to be universal. Of course sometimes the parents are just as rude so go figure.

Please do keep us posted on your progress and good luck with your surgery! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Good luck to you . I was sleeved back in July and I can honestly say it's the best thing I ever did. Whereabouts in Ireland are you, I am Pembrokeshire right by where the ferry comes in from Rosslare

Keep us posted you have found a great website in bariatric pal

Like Chris says, it is the best thing I have ever done too! I was sleeved at the end of August. I was sick for the first couple of days and when the surgeon said I couldn't go home until I drank 400ml I thought - that's it, I'll never go home! The next day I felt fine and haven't looked back since. I have so much energy and feel great.

Wishing you loads of luck with your op and keep us posted as to how you get on

Good luck to you . I was sleeved back in July and I can honestly say it's the best thing I ever did. Whereabouts in Ireland are you, I am Pembrokeshire right by where the ferry comes in from Rosslare

Keep us posted you have found a great website in bariatric pal

Well done on your weight loss Chris - you are doing great!

Doubts are on everyone's mind. I endured a year of doubts before my surgery but i have to say, trying diets "one last time" paid off because my poor results and regain took away any shadow of a doubt I hadn't tried hard enough.

Hang in there!

Those little doubts are normal, but I'm sure you'll find it was all worth it in the end. As for those stares as you were walking in, don't give them another thought. This is your time to shine! Best of luck!

Edited by The Post Op

May you have a successful surgery and easy recovery! Anxiety is pretty common pre-surgery, but it seems you are managing fine. Good luck tomorrow!

10 years ago, in 2005, I did the same thing. I was approved for the lap band, lost weight during the liquid diet and said I can do this without surgery. Over the years, I gained and lost, but I could not get approved again until my BMI was over 40. Now I have lost weight again during my 3 month pre-op nutritional counseling, but I am going through with my surgery next week. I cannot make the same mistake twice. Good luck and just do it!

Thank you so much for sharing your doubts, fears, and hopes with us. Be sure and save this post so you can look back at today and see how far you have come.

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.

Soon you will be sipping and walking and sipping away!

One of the places on my list to travel someday is Ireland. (I live in Kentucky, the horse capital of the world). Now that I am on the road to regaining my life, dreams like this are becoming more of an option.

Best of luck with your surgery. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Good luck Des! I am scheduled in the morning and I am so ready. :)

I have to agree on the liquid diet. After the first two days (terrible headaches included) I found my rythm. I have already grown tired of sweet Protein Drinks and found I enjoy beef or bullion Soup with unflavored Protein.

Did you notice that after you pushed past your normal meal times, the hunger kinda went away until the next meal time? This was so strange to me. I will take this knowledge forward for sure.

Good luck on your journey!

Well my journey has had a Detour.< /p>

Since i am having my surgery in a public hospital it is subject to triage. As an elective procedure it is a bit further down the line as regards importance. My operation was bumped out of the schedule today so i am now officially playing the waiting game yet again.

This is not all that bad as the Weather here in ireland is awesome at the moment so i've been going to the beach and having a rollicking good time swimming in the surf.

So what's next? No idea. Couldn't say for certain when my surgery will be. Will stay on liver shrinkage for the time being though. Can't harm right?

Des

Non Obese person in waiting. :)

Wow. That's interesting how that's done. Hmm. That would drive me positively insane. What's the point of a date then? You can't stay on that diet indefinitely. ???????????? sorry I'm just frustrated for you. Wow.

I have private insurance but i only got a private for the procedure to happen in a public hospital. In ireland it's safer anyway as the public hospitals are much better equipped

*Approval

Good afternoon all.

So my surgeon got in touch today to apologise for the cancellation. The chances of it happening any time soon are remote. Still on liver shrinking in case it happens but not holding my breath!

May end up being a november sleever at this point.

It's still gonna happen though so just a matter of waiting

Lotsa love

Des